Nightmares and sickness, related?

Topic moved from the Quest for Lucidity forum

My sister has been having nightmares recently, but she has only been having them when she is sick. Iv looked a little into the matter but have not found any really good explinations. The only thing I can think of is that her mood is influencing her dreams, resulting in nightmares. Has anyone had similar experiences or could give suggestions as to what they think is happening? Thanks.

I’m not sich very often but when I am I have either problems to sleep or I just dream bullsh*t. And I don’t have much nightmares, the last were when I was very young, too and maybe I was sick at that time. So I think as she grows older, the nightmares will disappear when she’s sick (my prediction). Maybe you can tell us what the nightmares are about and how that fits to the circumstances?

When I’m sick I sometimes get hallucinations, my consciousness is away and my body is sweating and I’m thinking I’m married to a forum or something like that. Pretty crazy.

I think that her mood plays into it. I think that fever is supposed to influence dreams. They talk of fever dreams. I’m not sure if they refer to sleep dreams or hallucinations.
The only personal reference i have is from being hot last summer. i had strange dreams. very switchy and nonsensical.
My sisters friend has said she always has nightmares when shes sick.
The expectation to have them should weigh in.

You can have sort of nightmares when you have fever. Most often, they are not really nightmares but crazy and repetitive thoughts and images.

When I’m sick I sometimes get weird dreams—I figure it’s because your body is feeling stuff it usually doesn’t, so that gets into the dream, the uncomfortable sick sensation, and also because you don’t sleep as deeply, so you kind of have that uncomfortable sleep, get in a bad “aaaargh” mood and that gets into the dream too…

This will sound crazy, but I have crazy dreams. I dont plan it but once a year or so i get sick with a bad fever, and like, I may have to go to the hospital sick. I have trouble getting to sleep, and when I do, its not deep. I have dreams where Im feeling something small of something very big (like what it feels like to pinch your chin) I then at some point make up some hallucinated story. the last time it happened, I faded into conciousness and ran to my brothers room to get him to help me lift a heavy flower out of the house before it tips over. Im still in dream state when I walk around and go and wake up my bro lol. Its really weird, I get embarrased by it, and its really weird! :eh: :confused: :bored:

When I’m sick I mostly get weird dreams, in which I always feel warm and sweaty. They’ll usually be vivid but will lack any meaning of sorts. They’re never nightmares, though.

I remember when I was a kid and when I had a fever I almost always had really strange dreams without any sense. My perspective changed, almost like floating around the room, and everything in the room wasn’t in proportion (like, my bed was two times smaller than it should be and stuff like that).
And those dreams were always accompanied with a strong feeling of anxiety, insecurity and almost fear (not like a nightmare, but close).
Now I don’t have those dreams anymore. Must have been a couple of years since my last one of those…

The last time I got sick, I had a series of really… well it’s hard to tell if they’re creative or just crazy. Surprisingly, they had pretty solid storylines. Heck, I might even try illustrating one of them and posting it in a dream journal (if I ever make one…)

That feeling of being really small or really big is really weird - i used to get it too when i was much younger <10 years perhaps.

I used to have wierd dreams too, stuff that sounds like a FA or even alien abduction symptoms :o

I think sickness and Nightmares are related in some way. I mean your body is fighting for it’s health, so you get some pretty weird dreams from your subconcious. Last time I was sick and fell asleep, It was me with this smooth feeling (I have no idea) and then it became rough and imagined one ball, growing into more balls, and a constant feeling of anxiety. I woke up crying because I thought someone was trying to break into the house with a tree trunk so I called my mom, then i took a metal pipe and almost destroyed everything in my brother’s room. :eh: Maybe I’m just weird? :confused:

Odd. I’ve had this same feeling at times, except the balls would get smaller and bigger as well… The last time I had it was last year when I was trying a WILD. However, I controlled my emotions, and overcame it. I haven’t had this strange feeling since.

Anyway, I usually don’t have nightmares when I’m sick. When I’m sic, I usually have a terrible time sleeping and recalling dreams. Also, nose RC doesn’t tend to work due to stuffy nose…

I’ve only had two nightmares in my life, and they were both this year when I was feeling perfectly well. I can’t say I’ve ever noticed any change in the sort of dreams I get when I’m feeling unwell, but that’s not to say that others wouldn’t have a relation between the two things…

Usually, when I’m stressed/nervous/anxious, I tend to have bad nights of sleep. Not really nightmares (these are VEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERY rare for me), but annoying dreams that keep me awake.

It happens with some people, I guess :happy: Nothing to worry about with your sister

Ugh. When I had a fever when I was smaller really scary dreams could occur. I remember vomiting, and then my mother calmed me down with my sickness… and then she was carrying down a basket with clothes… suddenly, she stopped. As if the time was suddenly stopped. Then suddenly she turned her face to me, which wasn’t her face, it was a terribly scary face to see. She started to grin in a most unpleasant way and started to vibrate, up and down, shaking you could say, on the spot. Reminds me a lot of the Old Hag dreams…

yeah I have had some crazy nightmares when I had a fever as well (I always assumed they were related) but the worst is when I take nyquill that stuff gives me awful dreams like no other