LD4ALL member awards 2006 (now DJ awards)

the trouble with “awards” is that there is only one “winner” in every award group :sad:
it might be nice to win … but how could you enjoy winning if by winning the award you see others who are as worthy of winning hardly being mentioned?

we do have the occasional fanclub topic in playground but these are just done in a friendly fun way and are not meant to be taken too seriously.

It might be fun to have ‘best avatar’ or ‘best signature’ contests from time to time, but awards like ‘best member’ probably wouldn’t work out very well, largely because of the reasons moogle pointed out.

best avatar has happened in the past in the playground … which seems to be the right place for this type of competion
there’s no reason why a best signature competition couldn’t be made in playground too :smile:

Hehe, so the bruno flags and everything were jokes ? :sad:

I guess the playground is the right place for things like this.

it would be hard to vote for the best member here actually !

Yes, I agree that “best member” is a bit of a general idea. If we do decide to have some more award ideas throughout the year, I’d say it would be best for us to all brainstorm whatever we come up with. In addition to best avatar, sig, and all of that, why don’t we try more obscure awards, like highest post frequency, or highest DJ part. :grin:

I’m a bit dry on ideas, but just like Bruno, I feel indifferent about this whole idea.

What—? :eek:

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :cry:
highest post frequency means spam :help:

/me wonders if this post is spam? :eh:

this rewards idea was tried last year, and our members decided it wasn’t a good idea :content:

But there is always second place, third place, maybe 4th or 5th…
That would also give honor to people, that was unable to get first place, and there would be a prize for originality :tongue:

Anyways, i think that giving awards for first 5 places would be nice idea, it gives more chanses.

Roya crosses her eyes, trying to remember everyones’ posts

ok, best member isn’t a good idea, but i think best avatar is. there are some really great avatars out there…eyes her own :content:

[color=darkblue]What about most insightful comment people have had from another member?

I don’t like the most posts idea. Some people may just write loads of quick replies with little insight. Sometimes it’s nice to know that someone is actually trying to help you or has interest in your question. When I answer a question, I try to be insightful and as informative as I can be.

I like the best avatar and sig awards idea but perhaps a ceremony would be too formal for this place?

Anyway. it’s for the mods to decide I suppose…[/color]

as for that with insight i have to say anamcara :smile:

I dont really know if she is active atm, but she helped me a lot with my shyness and i think of her answer anytime im shy of peoples (read: girls :wink: )

Thanks once again :smile:

I think all these awards are a good idea, even the best member one. Moogle and others were speaking of how there can only be one winner and we don’t want any hurt feelings, do we?
I think it’s a good idea. In real life, feelings get hurt. Get used to it. Put on a helmet. You’re not going to win at everything, you’re got going to be mentioned everywhere. That’s how life works. I think people can cope with not being mentioned in an internet award “ceremony”. And if they can’t, they need to learn how to.

I used to be a member at a message board that had awards like these a few times! I actually have the 2002 awards saved to my computer. The awards were:

Best administrator (kind of irrelevant here, isn’t Q the only admin?)
Best moderator
Best forum
Most intelligent poster (“most helpful” might be a better alternative)
Best UC hunter (a UC is a video game code… LD4all equivalent would probably be “best lucid dreamer”)
Best known
Coolest name
Best avatar

A winner and a runner-up were announced for each category. I don’t recall any hurt feelings over it… it was all just for fun. Most of the posts on the page that I have saved from non-winners were simply congratulations for the winners. The only two that mentioned losing were these:

“Dang I didn’t get in a catagory! Well maybe next year!” and “Next year, I hope I will be in a catagory. This was so fun!”

So… take that as you will. I have to agree that anything remotely similar to “most posts” is a bad idea. It’ll definately lead to spam. Even if it was something like “most non-spam posts”, you’d still get people trying to win it by posting “semi-spam” (ie. something that doesn’t look like spam, but isn’t really useful).

I agree with DayLight but only if I win everything :lol:

I like “best administrator” categorie :grin:

:peek: but would I win or Quuipo? :scared:

I suppose you could also count Quuipo, but that’s still irrelevant. :tongue:

As far as the posting idea goes, so maybe that wasn’t a good idea, but geez, you all don’t have to gang up on me about that one. :help: Hopefully no one will object to the idea about biggest wolfgame addict? Hmm?

One other thing that I wanted to mention was DayLight’s post. While I agree with it, you don’t have to be so harsh, bud. Lighten up for once, will ya? Is that even possible? :wink:

How about a best member with infinity in his/her name? :tongue:

I think the competition would be entertaining. I’m game. :cool:

We could have some for dreams like:

Best Overall
Funniest
Most Action
Etc.

Oooo I could agree with dream awards! I still don’t like the idea of awarding members directly, but I think making some kind of Academy Awards for dreams would be just awesome! :cool:

Bruno, is that just because you’re aware of the fact that a good number of people find your dreams to be incredible? :wink: