Day Dreaming: Is It Related To Dreaming?

dreamers! please tell me your oppinions on weather or not day dreaming is the closely related to real dreaming, and why?? :happy:
as i see it they are both parts of your SC. so why couldnt they be of the same part of your imagination or closely related? im not going to diss anyone for their oppinions and do not want to be flamed for making this post. please as you view this please think about it and leave comments. :content:
-Fairyfriend

day dreaming … you are not actually there, you are one removed

dreaming, you are there you can feel everything

Daydreaming is controled by your conscious mind, not your SC. You are not “asleep” so your mind is working more or less like normal. Dreaming at night you are normaly “asleep” both mind and body, so your SC controls everything. With LD’s you “wake” up you mind, so that you get some, or lots of control over what is going on. You can also have a more direct contact to your SC. If you do fall asleep, like in a short nap, and dream, and call that daydreaming, then they are the same. Daydreaming is however generaly something that you do while you are awake, it is more useing your imagination, then dreaming.
Thats what I think.
don

I think day dreaming is related to dreaming - it’s more a matter of how related… Actual dreaming can involve all of your senses as fully as waking reality, while day dreaming usually affects vision alone (and in a very limited manner). Also, dreaming has a terrible effect on memory while day dreaming does not.

The VILD technique for incubating a lucid dream consists, basically, of repetitiously day dreaming a particular scene until you fall asleep. So maybe day dreaming is something like Hypnagogic Imagery…

:smile: (Random smiley)

I believe daydreaming is basically the same thing as regular dreaming. The difference being that you are awake and have sensory input and everything that comes with being awake, that includes normal consciousness so you can easily change directions in the daydream, still if you see images they are coming from your subconscious anyway just like normal dreams, I believe in fact that all thoughts stem from the unconscious. They come to us. I don’t exactly view the subconscious as a separate entity but part of a whole.

thank you for commenting on what you think. i agree with most of what you all pointed out. i think that all dreams and day dreams come from the SC, and weather or not your sleeping you can still enter your SC and or unconsious you just will not have the same feeling or be able to contact your SC as easily. and what a bout LD ing? sense you know your dreaming wouldnt that be a type of day dreaming?

In a lucid dream, you can control the dream - but it feels more like being wide awake in a whole different world. I don’t know if you’ve been lucid yet, so this might help… If dreams were ice cream, lucid dreams would be Cookies and Cream, normal and day dreams would be Dirt… Sometimes with sprinkles… :tongue:

Depends on how far off into your day dream. You could be daydreaming of something unpleasent, and not be aware of reality for a bit. Most daydreams are what we desire though. And most of the time we are aware they are happening, but when we aren’t aware, and we just get carried off into them, they can be very similar to dreams in a sense. (Some people can sleep with their eyes open! o.o) I don’t know where that came from… But I think they can be very related and day dreams can be connected to the SC. :smile:

I think (dont quote me on it) that daydreaming is a form of visualisation?

I’ve heard that people that day dream a lot, tend to have better dream recall…

This may sound dome but what is day dreaming ?? :confused:

[i]A daydream is a form of consciousness that involves a low level of conscious activity. Daydreaming generally comprises a fantasy while awake.

Sometimes, someone who daydreams is seeking to fulfill a dream or hope in their mind. While it may seem a useless human behavioral glitch or fault, it can actually be quite constructive, especially for those who are in a creative career.

Often, the daydream takes the form of a train of thought, leading the daydreamer away from being aware of his or her immediate surroundings, and concentrating more and more on these new directions of thought. To an observer, they may appear to be affecting a thousand yard stare. A sudden stimulus may startle them out of the daydream.

Often when recalling daydreams, people say they were not conscious of what was going on around them. For instance, they cannot remember what they were looking at, if anything, while they were daydreaming or they cannot remember who was saying what and what they were saying.[/i]
(From Wikipedia)

Have you ever just stared at something, your eyes not moving, and a thousand thoughts are racing through your head, along with some sort of fake scene playing? Well if so, thats a day dream. :content:

So there you go, hope you understand now… :grin:

I actually managed to be completelty unaware of my surroundings but still eating candy while immersed to 100% in memory of that days events. I usually don’t get that immersed in anything.

ok thank you.

When I daydream, I use my imagination. Dreaming is like another world really…

usually when i daydream i am in a totally different world. i just sort of sit there staring at nothing while someone is talking to me and they never know im gone … but thats probobly just because i eat and say random things while im daydreaming … lol.

Day dreaming and regular dreaming are physiologically and psychologically different :yes:
Like moogle said, you experience everything in the dream as if it were real. If you were to dream of an apple, you could take a bite out of it and mistake it for a real apple, but the same isn’t true for day dreaming…not to mention you are awake when you day dream, so you can be drawn back into ‘reality’ fairly easily, unlike becoming lucid in a regular dream; two similar increases in critical awareness, but becoming lucid in a dream is generally harder to do that to come out of a day dream back to real life.