Talking in your sleep?

Hi everybody!

I’m new here. Love the forum!

I’ve been interested in lucid dreaming for several years now but I haven’t had enough information about it to begin practicing. But now I have you guys to help me! :smile:

I have been practicing lucid dreaming for a couple of weeks now and I have had 3-4 short lucid dreams.

Since I was little I’ve been talking in my sleep every night. My parents tell me that they only hear mumbling. My QUESTION IS: Will people hear what I say during my lucid dreams? If I allready mumble when I have normal dreams will I speak out loud during lucid dreams?

The reason I’m asking this is because it could be embarrasing if I have a sexuall lucid dream and my parents hear me during the night.

I’ve wandered about that too. I’ve herad one women who says she can’t talk during lucid dreams and when she trys to, she ends up groaning in real life and waking her husband up. But I’m not entirely sure, I kinda thought that you could talk in lucid dreams without talking IRL

There was somebody a while back (Pedro) who claimed to have attempted to talk in reality during an LD and recorded it. He said that it sounded like random nonsense instead of what he was trying to say. I don’t know whether he naturally talked in his sleep, though. I’m guessing not.

If you’re saying things that actually make sense in non-lucid dreams but only mumbling in reality, I wouldn’t expect it to be much different during a lucid dream, but I don’t really know for sure. I certainly wouldn’t go around shouting things in dreams if it were me with this problem… I don’t recall hearing too much about this issue before. There might be something about it buried somewhere in the archives, but a super-quick search didn’t turn up anything. The only way to find out may be to have an LD where you don’t say anything too embarassing, then ask your parents what they heard. :shrug:

I’ve heard of “talking with your mind” in LDs, that is, you make yourself talk without actually talking… I guess it would be like talking with your inner voice, but projecting it to others in your dreams. I wouldn’t expect that to cross over into reality. :smile:

I had a ND that I was Clapping and in real life i was!
So maybe but in a high state of LD i can tell that i have sort of 2 pairs of eyes my real ones and my dream ones so i think you might be able to contro it.
/me claps at xx521xxx for his LD today

My friend was talking in his sleep once, while I was still awake… He said “Dad, now nice hot oven!” In the morning I told him and he claimed to have no dreams that had anything to do with hot ovens or his dad.

Also, once, in a dream, I was hiding in a cabinet, and gripping the side of that cabinet. I woke up and I was gripping one hand with my other one.

I had a period were i used to spit on my pillow, but usually i woke up at the same time so i could, if i was quick, save the situation. I believe this to be sleep paralysis wearing off before the dream. It has had other effects too, like jumping in the dream and waking up because I had kicked my legs.
You may want to try the thinking thing when saying secret things.

Thanks, I will try thinking instead.

Hi paisan, welcome to the forum! :wave:

You’re unlikely to talk in your LD’s cause most probably, your sleeptalking happens during NREM sleep (Somniloquy).
Most of the LD’s happen in REM sleep, with the exception of some WILD’s (not all) which may happen in NREM phase 1 or 2.

I once wanted to say “increase lucidity” in a LD and ended up wispering it IRL and waking up! :tongue:

so when I’ve been sleeptalking it has not been related to my dreams?

That is indeed confusing… how can you talk during deep dreamless sleep? And what would cause you to talk?

Weird.

Strange but true, sleepwalking also does not normaly happen during REM sleep, that is while you are dreaming. There is a lot about sleeping and dreaming that is still unknown.
don

In many cases, it’s said to be related to the dreamlike thoughts that you have during NREM light sleep.

Like I’ve told you already, when I used my TV as alarm clock, I used to dream about its subjects.

Some old movies seemed more vivid and perfect in my dreams!

But about me talking? I’ve been told about doing many strange noises, no clear talking :neutral: , at least I guess I didn’t say any secrets :lol:

Im pretty certain i talk in my sleep,
once during a music festival when we slept in a tent
my friends told me i did and it matched with what i said in my dream.

When i had my second LD i was afraid to say “increase lucidity!”
i thought that i might shout it IRL.
I don’t have a problem with that anymore, when i get lucid i say and do what i want.
I don’t let the real world control me in my LDs, because
doing so would make LDing less interesting and just a extension to my reallife.
What people say during sleep is usually nonsense, “yes… no… mm…” just loose words and phrases etc.
It doesn’t make any sense to anyone other than the dreamer :smile: