The left-handed topic

Well just wanted to know who is left handed. :shy:
Also I have serious problems cutting with scisors writing on a three-ring binder specially writing my letters suck. Does anyone have this problem.

Can you say that again?

It is really hard for me to use scissors. When I cut the paper it is really bad cut :confused: Also when using a binder I have problems writing. The worst problem is when writing with my pencil at the end my work is really bad and it looks smeared.

I’m lefty! :smile: Well, ambidextrous, rather, but I was born lefty and forced learning to write with the right hand, and became ambidextrous.

I still use righty tools like scissors and can openers with the left hand, I learned to use them that way. Scissors are a bit of a pain indeed, and if you manage to find a lefty scissor somewhere, buy it. But can openers are really easy once you get the gist of them.

In fact, once a righty friend and I were making pasta and he couldn’t open the tomato sauce can, so he asked me to open and I used the opener for righties with my left hand and opened it easily. It was really funny.

As to writing, don’t use pen—ever. I blurry all my writing as my hand goes over what I just wrote. Use pencils instead, and try to keep your hand away from the writing line. There are a few calligraphy techniques for lefties, you should find some nice tips on the internet. :smile:

Also, use notebooks backwards, like how Japanese books are oriented. I do that and also keep my CD cases inversed, it makes your life a whole lot easier.

Scissors are a problem for everyone, no matter whether you’re right or left-handed. Why? Because when you’re cutting your fingernails, there’s always one hand that can’t cut its own nails! :razz:

(I’m in a weird mood._

A left-handed topic, I never thought I’d see the day. :tongue:

Guess what, everybody! I’m left-handed too! :cool_laugh:

As far as using scissors goes, I’ve never had a problem; for some unknown reason, I’ve always cut things with my right hand. I just seem to have a natural preference for doing some things with my right hand, such as using scissors or entering the combination of locks.

But three ring binders, now we’re talking! :tongue: In fact, whenever I start a new page, I just take the entire sheet out rather than write over the rings.

Haah? I haven’t had too many problems with notebooks, and I’m not even sure what you mean.

And Stormy, I file my nails. :grin:

Oh my all the lefties happen to be the weirdos. I wonder if there is a scientific correlation?

I’m ambi, the only thing I can’t do well is write left handed. I was taught right handed, so that’s how I write.

I’m right-handed so maybe I shouldn’t post here, but I just need to say something about the scissors.

I’m really a right-handed person. I want to do everything with my right hand. Even with eating; usually people have their fork in your left hand and your knife in your right hand. Usually I cut the food with my right hand, then switch fork and knife and eat it with my left hand. I do this all the time during a meal. I also use my left hand for my fork sometimes, but usually I keep switching. (sidenote: my father is left-handed and he does it ‘the right way’ and my sister is right-handed and she does it the reversed way.)

When my right wrest was broken I was still stubborn enough to write with my right hand. The first day I wrote with left, but after that I saw it looked so bad that I could just write with right instead. It was hard in the beginning to make it neat and hold the pencil in a good way, but it was still better as how I would do it with my left hand. :grin:

A few days a go a left-handed people said it wasn’t that hard. She actually wondered why people found it hard to cut with a right-handed scissor, because she always got a left-handed one when possible.

I do that too and I’m right-handed. I hate it when I don’t do that, so that’s not only a left-handed thing I think. (or maybe I’m just an exception, or I dislike it because of other reasons :roll:)

Bruno, I’d really like you to tell me to what extent you are ambidextrous! I’ve been working on it myself, with good results I might say. My handwriting with the left hand has improved tremendously, and I now tend to use whatever hand is closest to the task for simpler movements. So, can you say with confidence that you can use both hands with equal ease? I’d like to have that skill someday.

/me high fives! :cool_laugh:

I can’t write on those things and I can’t be bothered taking each sheet I’m going to write on out. So I either write with my right hand (what? :razz: I can!) or get a notebook…

Oh, it’s really not like I can’t use regular notebooks, it’s just so bloody easier to use them backwards (get a notebook, flip it horizontally and that’s what I’m talking about): you should try that one of these days. (To be quite honest, you still have to start writing away from the border of the page, but the annoying spiral thing goes away from your wrist on most pages you’re going to write—the odd ones—and that saves the day.)

It’s also quite more of a habit, since I already have everything backwards in me bedroom—CD cases, folder etc.

Well, I used to be quite goofy and didn’t know why, until one day, I was 13 or 14, a friend pointed out it could be due to the fact that I did things with my right hand even though I kept bragging about being a lefty. So I decided to become lefty again. What I realized is that there were things I did with only one of me hands: I had never been able to lock or unlock a door with the right hand, or even put the key in the keyhole with that hand for that matter; I had always brushed my teeth with the right hand (perhaps because mom is righty and when I was little she taught me how to brush my teeth by holding me arm and telling me what to do), I had always used scissors and can openers with the left etc.

So I just tried to invert. To my surprise, some things actually improved when I started to do that. For instance, I’ve always been a denial when it comes to (association) football—one day, and that was last year, I was playing tremendously well, and scored a beautiful goal, and when I realized I had been playing with me left leg (I always play with the right, don’t know why). Same for basketball and handball: back when I was 13, one day I switched to left hand and played… awfully. But in a couple of months I had improved more than in years with the right hand. So the first thing I did was become lefty for everything, and that was the easy part.

My calligraphy with the left hand wasn’t (hasn’t ever been and still isn’t) exactly beautiful, but I found out that, when I’m drawing, the left hand might quiver a bit, so the trace isn’t as fluid and the grip isn’t as firm, but the proportions are so much better and it’s like I know what traces have to be done and which are unnecessary, whilst with the right hand the trace is clear and firm, but the drawing always gets all polluted and confusing. Painting, on the other hand, is way better done with the left hand: my right hand doesn’t seem to be a friend of brushes, really.

So as you can see, it’s not like both hands are equally as skilled, but I know which is better at what and if I can’t use it at the moment (if I’m talking on the cellphone, for example), I can handle things with both hands, so I don’t have to stop or change hands and for most things really both hands are indeed equally as skilled, only specific chores like writing I prefer to do with a certain hand.

Also, I tried to pull a DaVinci and learn how to write backwards with me left hand, and as I got skilled and fluent… I realized I was using the right hand! :shock: It’s like I automatically choose the correct hand for chores I’m definitely only skilled with one of them. But otherwise it’s pretty anarchic, really. Learning how to do everything with the right hand (for, besides writing and teeth brushing, the thing’s a denial) proportioned some of the most hilarious months of me life.

Very interesting, thanks Bruno! I wouldn’t put up with any such cross-dominance, though. I aim to make both hands perform exactly the same, no matter how much practice it takes. That means a lot of shaving accidents, heh…

They’re out of their right mind :tongue:

I’m not personally a lefty, but a lot of my friends are. Though, sometimes my hand writing is soo bad that I wonder if I should have been a lefty.

Eh, too late now. :razz:

Hey, I’m left handed too :happy: ! And indeed, writing in a binder is a pain but using a pen is worse since you get the ink spread everywhere if you don’t place your hand in a certain way. I never had problems with scissors though (lefty scissors for the win! :wink: )

I was left-handed at first few years of my life. Later i came to a preschool, where a bossy teacher were teaching me to use right hand. I was ambidextrous then. Later i became a right-handed, for writing, etc. but i’ve still got some habits, like using mostly left hand to eat things.

It looks like Bruno got a bit too excited and wrote an essay on being left-handed for us. :tongue:

As I pointed out earlier, there are some things that I do with my right hand as opposed to my left; cutting food is one of them :grin: When it comes to eating, I stick with the left.

I once thought of becoming somewhat ambidextrous by learning to write with my right hand, but then I never had the will power to really bother with that. Bottom line? I know that I can’t write for beans with my right hand. I also wondered if the handwriting for each hand would be slightly different (but still equal) if I became skilled with my right hand. I still never bothered. :roll:

Once again, I didn’t feel like taking the time to become fluent, but I did once try to write backwards, and with both my left and right hand.

This topic is making me want to practice all kinds of things such as becoming fluent with my right hand and writing backwards. :tongue: Why not?

I am right handed but people think I’m a lefty, even when I’m writing xD

When I write I curl my hand around so that the pencil is held coming downward.

Normal right handed:

Left handed trying to look like right handed:

Me :

So I get all the disadvantages of being left handed when it comes to writing, like getting graphite all over my hand :happy:
Also notice the slant. Most people would think I’m left handed from reading it haha. To tell the truth I kind of like it though, it makes me somehow unique :tongue:

3 ring binders are a pain for right-handed people too when you need to write on the back of the page. I always remove the page I am working on, or else I will have to reach across the rings when I get to the back.

I’m ambidextrous. Well, sort of. I print and power throw with my right, and write cursive and throw for accuracy with my left. Other than that, they’re pretty equal. As a little kid I always switched because I couldn’t decide and I’m now (almost) ambidextous because of that.

I’m lefty. I don’t really have writing problems, though. I wonder why…

I always have problems with graphite they get in my hand and then on my paper it makes it look really old.With pen i never really have a problem with :tongue:

Im a right handed that really cant use his left for any much more than a jab-hit :wink:

I understand how you feel with scissors. In class (especially in the younger schools) they had class sets with scissors and pensils and well, you get the idea. And those sets always contained 2-3 left handed scissors, but they werent the most used, though they were there in case if some left handed fellows needed em (mainly they would just use the scissor they found). After some time lots of scissors disappeard/got destryd and we had to use 2 sets to be able to fill one class and such. But guess what scissors that suvived ?

The left handed :shy:

And using a left handed scissor with right aint easy, so yeah, i understand the problems hehe.