Movie thread Part III

Two old movies, Darko is good, although you can only watch it so many times.

The Crow was good for it’s time, but when I watch it, some parts stick out to be a little cheesy. But once you get past that it turns out to be a completely violent movie :grin: On top of things this is the movie that Bruce Lee’s son, Brandon Lee died on the set. Not 100% what was cause of death, in my head I’m think the gun didn’t contain any blanks and the rounds were filled. So there’s a little controversy for you. :tongue:

Either way the good news is that A Scanner Darkly is coming out on dvd at the end of this month, on the 19th. Write it on your holiday list, awesome movie. Just for pointers, the person that directed it was Richard Linklater, he directed or made Waking life and Dazed and Confused. The story came from Phillip K. D*ck(edit, forum wont allow name) and his ideas are completely nuts. Good stuff :grin:

Yes, I’m definitely going to get A Scanner Darkly from Netflix when it’s out, I LOVE surrealism. And that film looks like Salvador Dali and David Lynch together on a PCP binge haha.
Also, I do agree that The Crow can get somewhat overdramatic in certain parts, but not nearly as much as it’s sequels. And then there’s the Crow playstation game… (blech) But I think it overcomes those pitfalls with the overall plot being moving without succumbing to cheese.

As for Donnie Darko, it looks too emo-fabulous for me.

This movie, was way more depressing then Waking life, I didnt really like it. It had a good moral to it, but it was pretty damn scary.

Yeah, but the scenes with the 3 main characters disputing if someone broke the car purposely, just so they can take advantage of their time. I was laughing so hard, otherwise it was sad as the story goes on. Owell thats life :grin:

After I gave it time to sink in, I do want to watch it againe, its just one of them movies you dont watch just once. Its mindblowing like Waking life.

Last movie I watched in cinema is Borat lol , definatly hilarious! :lol:

Before that, a year ago (thats how often I went this year) it was Howls Moving Castle which was brilliant :smile:

Recent DVD’s are: The Beavis & Butthead Collection vol 1,
Ren & Stimpy the Lost episodes, and Silent Hill

I just watched “Eternal sunshine of a Spotless mind”
really excelent movie! recomended!

Children of Men (no spoilers)

Has anyone seen this yet? i saw it the other day and i gotta say it’s the most gruesome, grisly, depressing movie that you will ever want to see twice. It was absolutely incredible, everything about this movie was superb, and delivers a haunting message. The cinematography was fantastic. The story was moving. The pase was quick. The action was abundant. This is a masterpiece, and easily the best movie of 2006. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry (proverbially), and you’ll hope that this grim look at what could be is never a reality. A++++++++ for Children of Men

WARNING: the following contains not much sense… (no spoilers unless you had no idea what the movie was about)
On a funny note, as we were walking out of the theater, we saw why the world was a complete mess in that movie. Some SKATOR kids were yelling, swearing, and acting SUPER COOL AWESOME TOTALLY WICKED SICK!.. pricks, i hate those kids, and i thanked god they didnt come mouthing off to us, cuz we woulda had to kick all theyre asses. The world was f***ked because THEY were the ones that were adults by that time :tongue: . Also, everyone was infertile in that movie because… “HEY! can you do a 900?” “I sure can! OUCH!.. one!.. OUCH!.. two!..” :rofl: i rule!

But seriously go see children of men, preferably with a group of people that won’t talk during the movie.

I’ve seen it twice. It’s spectacular, easily the best of 2006. I can’t wait to see what Cuaron does next. :smile:

im gonna see it again ASAP

Some Great ones…Waking Life (I think anyone on this site can appreciate it)

Recently I saw Donnie Darko …and then continued to watch about 10 times including the Directors Cut twice and the Commentary, and it is truly an amazing piece of work.

Just last night I watched A Scanner Darkly, mainly because it was by Richard Linklater and I had heard it was good, I wasn’t dissapointed another truly artful and creative of work, although not as good as the two I listed above.

I saw that recently. I thought it was pretty good, but maybe not quite as good as the critics were declaring. It felt a bit hollow in places, not quite fleshed-out enough, and overall too short. But still, it was a very interesting piece of work.

Has anyone here seen Pan’s Labyrinth yet? It’s sort of a dark fantasy from Spain, very good, you guys should check it out.

Was A Scanner Darkly really good? It didn’t seem to get much public popularity, but neither did Waking Life or Donnie Darko I suppose. Is it done by the same people as Waking Life (since the animation is similar and all)? It’s got Keanu Reaves right? Not a very good sign…Oh well, I’ll have to check it out, it did look interesting.

A scanner Darkly was good. A bit talky, but good dialog. The rotoscoping was very cool, but the movie was more than a vehicle for it. In the end you feel very touched when everything comes together.

What did you think of the Divci code? It kind of blew my mind. It seems like a good possiblty it could be true. I never noticed the “Last supper” before, but now it looks very obvious.

I want to check it out, looks good the visuals looking stunning. I have to make plans soon, the problem is a decent show time :tongue:

Personally I liked A Scanner Darkly, not just because of how it was made, although that was a plus. But I’m a fan of Philip K. Dick, and i believe this movie came from a book that he wrote. I never read anything from Philip, but I’m a fan of most tales that turn into movies. Most are future paranoia mind f*cks, that actually make you think. When the movie first released it wasn’t in main theaters or anything. I saw it where they play independent films, I don’t know if this is consider an independent movie. But it wasn’t advertise as much as it is for dvd.

I know another Die Hard is coming out, and Zodiac looks like a good movie. Just wanted to add that in for thoughts :tongue:

The truman show rocks!

So does my name is earl!

Grindhouse was great

Though “Death Proof” wasn’t Tarentino’s best

I actually liked planet terror better

and Nicholas Cage as Fu Manchu!

I finally watched The Science of Sleep. A bit weird but pretty entertaining. Before I saw it I thought it was a French film, but they speak both English and French in the movie (mostly English). I really liked the way the protagonist’s dreams and waking life were intertwined and think it’s a movie most of the dreamers here could enjoy for that same reason. It’s also a weird love story and rated R, FYI.

Has anyone else seen it?

V for Vendetta, anyone? I loved how a Hollywood Blockbuster could actually have a good plot and a meaningful message about power and mass propagandizing. V’s pirate speech at the end was breathtaking. :woot:

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder, treason, and plot,
I know of no reason why the gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

another one i didn’t care for

Eternal Sunshine was so awesome, i expected more out of the Science of Sleep.