How long have you gone without sleep?

The longest I’ve gone without sleep is about 40 hours or so I think.

Between two and three days is my current record. About four years ago I was working in a grocery store over Christmas, and a series of misfortunes (including some of the other workers falling sick and being involved in accidents) led to me working about 40 hours in just three days. I had a midnight start on X-mas Eve (after being awake the entire day before), worked through to about 4pm, and then had to start again at midnight on Christmas day. I could have had a nap during that time, but for some reason, I just didn’t feel like it. It’s hard to describe, but once the crippling fatigue goes away after the first 24-30 hours, you suddenly start to feel quite energetic. In fact, you feel very energetic. I was running around like a hyperactive kid on a sugar high, punching open foam boxes and bouncing on the spot. It’s probably not healthy to go that long without sleep, but it’s interesting to see how your body reacts to it.

(thanx to whichever mod made my thread into a poll, although youve made some of the hour numbers 2 hours too long (7 days = 168 hours) but that doesnt matter. dankeschon!)

I’ve been awake for seven days plus and it isn’t pretty!

I was sitting in my chair watching smoke raise off my keyboard. And then my dog started to yell at me in english, so me and my dog were yelling at each other.

Once you’ve been up for five days the hallucinations get bad.

My friend says that when he goes more than a couple of days without sleep, he becomes paranoid. What other affects are there of abstaining from sleep for too long. And whats the world record for going without sleep.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_deprivation

well I had been awake too long when I made the poll :wink:

So well put. I have gotten the same effect a few times. I am not sure how long I have bean awake, but 30 ours is not unormal for me. Somtimes when I read Burroughs I am sure I am reading a dream, and also my dreams often act like this. Cut up and jumping scenarios. Sorry for getting so of topic, but I just love Burroughs. You wanna start a group of grey gentelmans who are beating up young nowgooders with there walking sticks on the subway with me Halstrom :content:

The world record is held by Randy Gardner, who stayed awake for 264 hours (11 days). :eek:

One time when I was a little kid, I thought I stayed awake for 2 weeks. I think i just couldnt get to sleep and only slept for a little while and didn’t remember falling asleep so I think the longest I have stayed awake is 2 days :sleep:

For winter finals last year I pulled two back-to-back all nighters. The longest I’ve gone without sleep though is just a little over 72 hrs.

It’s such a miserable feeling after the day I finally sleep again.

Wow…I need to try not sleeping some time. I’ve had periods of very little sleep, but there’s always been some litte nap in between the hours.

I think 22 hours is my real record. Travelling home from an island in Croatia by taxi, boat and airplane. :smile: I set my contacts-record as well, 16 hours with dailies.

36 hours on my first vacation was my longest.

About 30 hours. Then I slept for 18 hours.

Actually i just remembered that when i went to the Philippines winter of '05, I had teh opposite of jet lag. By that i mean that instead of being relly sleepy, i was wide awake and couldn’t get to sleep ( didn’t really want to though ) for like 2-3 days making my total awake time about 36-86. Probably about 70 hours.

NOWHERE near 264 hours though. :bored:

Hey you guys are pretty close to my record… stayed up over 72 hours before…

I don’t recommend it - You can die from sleep deprivation.

A friend told me he stayed awake for an entire week once. On the final day he made himself a bowl of rice for energy… only when he looked at the bowl of rice, each grain was moving around the bowl like worms… oh dear :sad:

In the Randy Gardner link it says “On the eleventh day, when he was asked to subtract seven repeatedly, starting with 100, he stopped at 65. When asked why he had stopped, he replied that he had forgotten what he was doing.”

• This happens to me on a regular basis, lol … :help: :cry:

Hahaha, this is some funny stuff! I think staying up is fun, but it’s also just like a drug.

Drug=fun=bad things to tee batee.

Anyways my record is from 6 am one morning past 6 am the next and 6 am the next then I slept at 2pm that night so that’s…

6am to 6am to 6 am 48 then to 2pm so plus 8, 56 hours!!!

Yea I can barely remember that cuz it was like a year ago. I can remember being woozy, and seeing things I don’t think were real. Oh, and things were different shades of the real color. And when I went outside it felt as though I was looking through lightly tinted green glass.

WHY would you want to stay up???

YOU CAN’T LD!!!

I used to love staying up rarely feel sleepy, but now I would rather LD than watch Carlos Mencia (most of the time :colgate: )

I used to stay up because I was an insomniac. I didn’t like sleep, didn’t want sleep, didn’t want anything to do with sleep. I liked the switch of mental states after being awake for a few days as well.