Cult TV shows

:cool_laugh: I’m outnumbered by X File fans! I originally started this topic.
My favourites are

• Buffy
  • Angel
  • All Startrek incarnations
  • Alien Nation
  • The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy ( the radio version too)
  • Hercules the legendary journeys

Buffy
My favourite episodes are the one’s with Anya featuring in them and the one’s with Spike.

Hercules
My favourite episodes are the one’s with Ares (the God of War) in them. Sadly the actor who played the part died in an accident. R.I.P.

I never got into the X Files …I watched the first series but Gillian Anderson never seemed convincing in the part. Sorry X File Fans.

I just love Mc Gyver:)
ohh…almost forgot… Chuck Noris` Texas Ranger is still fun when u drunk:)

A lot of things are fun when a little drunk!

Star Trek.

• The original series. A little dated now but it started everything off. Fav. characters=Kirk and Spock. Fav. ep. Trouble with Tribbles.
  • The Next Generation. Fav. characters= Data and O’Brian.
  • Deep Space Nine. Dax and QUARK. I particularly enjoyed the episodes featuring Quark.
  • Voyager. Fav Chars. Seven of Nine and the doctor.
  • Enterprise. Fav char. Malcolm.

I’ll probably add to this later

I really liked star trek TNG, also liked the first 5 seasons of buffy.

Futurama was the best ever cartoon show!! Too bad the greedy bastards at Fox killed the show.

In the lost Cartoon thread, Hubbs, Atheist and I agreed that Futurama was pure gold and that it shouldn’t have been dropped. It makes you wonder who makes these decisions. :sad:

Futurama, no doubt, that show ruled !

Southpark is also always great, and Twin Peaks, if that counts…

I cant believe no one has said the Simpsons!! Oh so many quotes…

“It tastes like… Burning!” - Ralph

“I’m just impressed you can write so legibly on your own butt” - Lisa

Etc etc

Buffy is #1 in my books :cool:

My sig is from buffy. I also like when Willow describes evil as tasting a bit chalky. The best episodes are the one where Xander confronts Percy and finds out he’s gay, the one where buffy is poisoned and is in the asylum, and “Once More With Feeling.” Fave characters are Willow(obviously, shes a red headed lesbian witch), Jonathon, and Warren, uh uh and Spike. Oh and Glorificus. She was awesome.

Yeah, Buffy’s pretty interesting until you notice that it’s targeted at young teens. :smile:

It’s good, but for a show packed with vampires and alleged evil, there isn’t a great deal of old-fashioned crimson fun. The characters don’t appear particularly concerned each time a league of undead monsters attacks their town, and maybe I’m missing the point, but shouldn’t demons have access to at least some powers that would enable them to induce a little fear in the common populace? Your average undead warrior takes a tad more than a punch in the face to slay, surely? :wink:

I forgot to mention another brilliant TV show: “Millenium” from Chris Carter. There weren’t thát many episodes but they were always raw, dark, ominous and apocalyptic like Hell. I can’t remember any quotes (it’s been a long time…) but the music was splendid (same ingredients as in X-Files: atmospheric, creepy and beautiful at the same time). Lance Henrikson was the perfect guy to play the dingy but gifted FBI agent Frank Black.

Young teens? Have you seen some of the later episodes? The Glorificus episodes had quite a bit of “old-fashioned crimson fun”. Also there has been sexual moments in it …surely not aimed at young teens. The reason it is so popular is that it is tongue in cheek and fun.

Buffy season 7 has just started on UK terrestial TV :happy:
I’m enjoying every minute of it…but at the back of my mind I know it’s the last series :sad:
I’ll edit this post with more comments tomorrow. :wiske:

Episode 3 was good. The one that Willow returned, but she couldn’t see the gang and they couldn’t see her. Only Anya and Spike could see everyone. The funniest scene was when they were talking to someone new, and she found out that Xander had been with Anya and Anya had been with Spike and Spike had been with Buffy. She said had anyone not been together and Spike and Xander looked at each other!

A few quotes.
I laugh in the face of danger-then I hide until it goes away…Xander (Witch)

Honey, we have to talk about invitations. Do you want to be “William the Bloody” or just Spike (Something Blue)

A while ago there was a show called “Dr Who”- sci-fi themed weird comedy series.I loved those ,especially when not too sober:)
Now it seems like i really liked Buffy and X Files.

I liked Dr Who my favourite Dr was Tom Baker. :wiske:

oh yeah! that was a great show, liked it much more than for example xfiles… too bad it was cancelled so soon :\

Buffy is great.

Fav episode is the one at the end of series 3 (I think) where the mayor turns into a demon. Fav ever tv moment when suddenley all the students take off their gowns and have weapons underneath-very unexpected. great bit in that ep when Angel and some other guys run at the vampires and Weasley gets knocked over. And then when xander shouts hand to hand and all the students run at the vampires. All the while great music playing.

Many many other great eps. I’ll think of some good quotes later.

I have had a two dreams recently where I could hear songs from the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode "Buffy the Musical - Once More, With Feeling. This has prompted me to post my two favourite songs from this episode. On reflection, I thought they belonged here as opposed to the lyrics thread.

[color=blue]Going Through The Motions

Buffy
Every single night
The same arrangement
I go out and fight the fight
Still I always feel
This strange estrangement
Nothing here is real
Nothing here is right
I’ve been making shows of trading blows
Just hoping no one knows
That I’ve been
Going through the motions
Walking through the part
Nothing seems to penetrate my heart
I was always brave
And kind of righteous
Now I find I’m wavering
Crawl out of your grave
You find this fight just
Doesn’t mean a thing[/color]
Vampire
She ain’t got that swing
Buffy
Thanks for noticing

Demons and Vampires
She does pretty well with friends from hell
But lately we can tell
That she’s just
Faking it somehow
Demon
She’s not even half the girl she…OW…
Buffy
Will I stay this way forever
Sleepwalk through my life’s endeavor

Handsome Young Victim Man
How can I repay…

Buffy
…Whatever
I don’t want to be
Losing all my drive
I can’t even see if this is really me
And I just want to be
Alive.

Rest in Peace sung by Spike (James Marsters)
I died
So many years ago
And you can make me feel
Like it isn’t so
But why you come to be with me
I think I finally know
You’re stared
Ashamed of what you feel
And you can’t tell the ones you love
You know they couldn’t deal
But whisper in a dead man’s ear
That doesn’t make it real
That’s great
But I don’t wanna play
'cause being near you touches me
More than I can say
And since I’m only dead to you
I’m saying stay away
And let me rest in peace.
Let me rest in peace
Let me get some sleep
Let me take my love and bury it
In a hole six foot deep
I can lay my body down
But I can’t find my sweet release
So let me rest in peace.
You know
You’ve got a willing slave
And you just love to play the thought
That you might misbehave
But til you do I’m telling you
Stop visiting my grave
And let me rest in peace.
I know I should go
But I follow you like a man possessed
There’s a traitor here beneath my breast
And it hurts me more than you’re ever guessed
If my heart could beat it would break my chest
But I can see you’re unimpressed
So leave me be and let me rest in peace.
Let me get some sleep Let me take my love and bury it
In a hole six foot deep
I can lay my body down
But I can’t find my sweet release
So let me rest in peace
Why won’t you
Let me rest in peace

:cool:

Well, Buffy is pretty poor in my opinion (and it so completely is aimed at young teens). Dr. Who might be pretty cool if I ever watched that. They have some specially written animated episodes on the BBC website if anyone’s interested, and there will be a full new series on TV in 2005. I’m a fan of weird british comedy shows. Like The Fast Show, and Little Britain (v. good). Also…

MONKEY DUST!

Monkey Dust is soooo cool.

I like almost all sci-fi, but when it becomes weird like buffy did i don’t like it as much and the fact that it is rarely shown on tv in Melbourne, even when it is it is at 11:30 or something, too late for me on school nights and for me it is not good enough to tape.

I also like all the star treks well those that i have seen (i have not seen the original series, but that one with deep space nine going back in time to them was good.)

I like futurama, simpsons, farscape, stargate, seven days (time travel series short lived), sliders, and many movies.

I also enjoy watching british comedy, i find that american comedy is getting a little too predictable like friends. Some US is ok, but some is just copying the same old story line, you know: problem, mess ups fixing problem, problem solved. Why can’t there just be a program that doesn’t solve the problem? This is just something i would like to see, i still like programs that follow the usual, but not as much as new, inventive shows.

BTW I don’t know if someone has already mentioned this but Dr Who is showing everything (except maybe movies)on ABC tv in Aust. I watched the first few episodes and i found that they were a little slow moving and also a bit predictable. The set is ok for its day, but when there is a flame in the scene and it makes the film look as if it was burnt can’t they do anything about it? You will know what i mean if you saw them. I plan to watch later series because my parents say it will get better. I do remember a movie that was good, so there is still hope. I wonder how people will react to these tv shows in another ~40 years.

ALEX At last we agree on something. The one thing you mentioned that I didn’t really get into is farscape. I watched all the first series incase it improved but it never really caught on for me. Futurama and Simpsons are good aswell. BTW there is a cartoon thread lurking somewhere you may want to read that aswell. :wiske: