Temporary forum opened - forum now unlocked

update

I just have been informed that it can take over 60 days before the datacenter will be back :thud:

Also, it is very likely that the backups will not be available, although my host is trying to have them copy files off the servers.

This means that I’m moving.

I’m negotiating with 3 hosts to see who can give me the best offer. No more resellers this time, i’m going straight to the source.

I’m very sorry about the lost data, I still have hope that the backups will eventually be recovered (and when that happens I can dig through them to recover posts or see if there is any way to merge it into the current forum).

Most likely this temp forum will become the new forum, with the lifeboat posts moved to the appropriate subforums.

I can’t give a timeframe on the move, only that I will do it as soon as possible. I hope to have everything moved before april.

Does that mean I do not have to save the posts in the make an LD4all flash film?

I have no clue what was in any contract you signed with the datacenter you have been on so far, but i’m pretty sure that in the event something unforseeable happens, like sudden long term disconnects, then the datacenter is obligated to compensate it’s customers, Q included. leaving a site offline for almost 3 months would warrant requiring them to refund you at the least for any time you had left with them, as well as give you full access to any and all data you had with them, in a condition as identical as possible to that which it was in, the moment the datacenter went offline. anything else could be considered a large scale loss for a customer, regardless of backup routines. i would start pestering them about sending you all data you had with them to you ASAP. how they send it isn’t really relevant, as long as you get it. even smoke signals would work, but it would probably take long enough to burn down half the amazon. probably cheaper to send a snail mail package of DvDs.

remember that them losing internet access, for however long, doesn’t mean that their computer systems are destroyed. the data is still on their drives, it just needs to get to you. if need be, offer to pay the shipping for some disks or something. just don’t let them throw away your pride and joy. that’s just inhuman :sad:

No one’s burning down any Amazon, thank you very much. :razz:

Aw man, this sucks. Not much because of my diary, it was really short at the time, but the whole situation in general.

Well Q you did that you were thinking of doing a new archive soon.

Maybe IF the old forum ever does come back you could make an archive out of it including the missing 2 weeks of posts. That way, the two weeks won’t be lost, but you won’t have to copy/paste on request either.

thank you kimius :smile:

well, my host (he’s dealing with the datacenter, i rented the server through him) is keeping on asking them about the backups. I myself don’t have any contact with the datacenter.

Felipe: I do hope the data will be saved but at this point there is no saying when and if that will happen.

As for refunds, i already have a complete refund, and I’m on a free server right now, provided by my host. But i don’t know how long I can stay here for free.

mohegan: yes, i could maybe do an archive thing with it. i’m also looking if there is any way to merge two phpbb databases together somehow.

In that two week deficit members will have joined that now share the same user number as current members. It could end up causing more problems that it would solve.

yes, but only a merging of the posts should be possible, no?

Should be, although I wouldn’t know how to merge them with phpbb and phpbb’s site is down too. :sad:

Hi,

It’s unclear when I will be able to move, I’m still hunting for hosts.

So I have unlocked all forums now so you can post normally again.

This forum will stay - I will make a backup of it when I move and take this to the new server.

However I urge you to keep a backup of anything you post and want to save (dreamjournal posts for example) so you are sure you will never lose this.

So, we are still on a temp server waiting to move. The lifeboat will stay for as long all the posts have been moved to the appropriate subforums.

May I suggest you turn off new topics in teh lifeboat :tongue:

You know, this is the point where everyone starts posting and suddenly without warning the host gets the forum back up unexpectedly. :wink:

lol this is quite a messy situation we’re all in… I think I can live with it though. Thanks for trying so hard pasQuale u got my respect.

By the way pasQuale thanks for the promotion to Artist/Designer :content:

neomarine, you are really stretching it. I can delete that avatar you know. glares

starts incantation rite to summon Quuipo

Does that mean you don’t love me anymore… I thought we had something special :cry:

Ok I did as you asked now let’s get back together… ok sweet.

Yes you can merge two phpBB forums.

Assuming everything in the forums are identical, it should be possible to copy posts from phpbb_posts, etc. The only problem could be the uniqueness of the post_id of each post, which is easily fixed with a script that sorts these kinds of things.

If you look around you can probably already find some kind of script that enables phpBB merging, otherwise I’ll write one for you.

that’s great to hear kowi ! :happy:

when i have access to the backups and can’t figure it out i’ll let you know :smile:

unfortunately phpbb’s site has server problems too so i haven’t been able to ask over there yet.

Hey pasQuale could you possibly give hosting to those wanting fansites for LD4ALL? Like for the LD4ALL flash film project which could use a section of hosting on this site somewhere (if it turns out to be any good).

Rock on pasQuale

Aww…the chroniclers dream diary is gone.

I operate servers for a living. PM me. I may be able to work something out.