Page 1 of 3Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Author  Message 
FiXato
(mobile) IRC-Addict
Astral Explorer
LD count: 6

Proud Mobile IRC'ing Addicts Group
PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar, 2006  Reply with quote

This is my attempt to gather all the Mobile IRC Addicts together, and make sure more people know about the wonders of Mobile IRC'ing!
Furthermore I would like this topic to be some kind of information point about the developments in the mobile IRC world smile

And most of all: to have fun!
So, first thing I did, was make an icon to show you are a Proud Mobile IRC'ing Addict!
Code:
[url=http://ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=258558#2 58558][img]http://fixato.co.uk/images/icons/mobileIRC 2.gif[/img][b]I am a [i]Proud Mobile IRC Addict![/i][/b][/url]

could be added to your sig to show:
I am a Proud Mobile IRC Addict!

or if you have space for a bigger one somewhere:
Code:
[url=http://ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=258558#2 58558][img]http://fixato.co.uk/images/icons/mobileIRC .gif[/img][b]I am a [i]Proud Mobile IRC Addict![/i][/b][/url]

would show:
I am a Proud Mobile IRC Addict!
(However, the image is too high to be added to your sig sadblauw)

So... let's get started!

What is Mobile IRC'ing?
Mobile IRC'ing is connecting to an IRC (Internet Relay Chat) server through a mobile device such as a PocketPC or Mobile Phone.
With the increase of possibilities to get online from these mobile devices (WAP, GPRS, UMTS, Wi-Fi), the ways to get on an IRC-server with them increases as well!

How can I get on IRC from my phone?
Well, let's divide this up a bit smile

Getting on IRC through WAP
WAP, the Wireless Access Protocol, was one of the first protocols used to get online from mobile devices. It is slow and should only be used for small websites smile
However, gateway software has been written for it smile
If you have a FreeBSD or Linux machine/server with internet access you can install programs on, then you can try out WapIRC
With this piece of software, you can setup and run your own gateway, to which you can connect with your WAP-capable mobile device.
This software usually is rather limited, mostly because of the limitations of WAP.
Steike.com (now moved to Tykje.com used to host a wapIRC gateway as well. Due to hosting issues it is no longer continued though. The page can still be found here though..

Getting on IRC through GPRS/UTMS/WiFi via JAVA
This way of connecting has much more, and much nicer solutions smile!
One of the first Java solutions out there for your Mobile Device was WLIrc.
WLIrc 1.0 is written for the Java MIDP 1.0 framework and should work on most mobile devices that support Java applications.
The program itself has some limitations though..
For instance, you don't see nickchanges, nor does it show hostaddresses. Also, it can't send any raw command you would want it to send.
And if you are writing a message, you can't see what is being said in the channel.
Also, if someone opens a private window with you while you are writing a message, the message you were writing will be lost.

A lot of these bugs/limitations have been solved in WLIrc 2.x.
However, since it uses midp 2.0, it doesn't support a lot of mobile devices.. Especially not the older ones..

But enough about WLIrc, there are more Java clients out there for your MD (Mobile Device wink5)!

For instance, jmIRC
I find that jmIRC is more userfriendly than WLIrc 1.0; can't judge about comparison with WLIrc 2.0 though, since I never gotten that properly to work on my Smartphone Orange SPV C550.

It seems to be more stable than WLIrc, and I believe it also handles the receiving while typing a message better smile

Another one that is based on WLIrc is virca, a client that I haven't tested yet myself.
The development for this client is also very slow though..

Getting on IRC through GPRS/UTMS/WiFi via Native Windows Mobile Software
PocketPCs running Windows Mobile Operating System, and new mobile phone/pocketpc hybrids such as the SmartPhones have access to clients that more and more come close to the clients you run on your regular pc.
Since it runs natively on your MD, and doesn't need to run through a java virtual machine, they tend to be more stable and run faster!

[updated]
The first client I prefered: SmartIRC.net.
Although it is just a single-window client, it works pretty nicely for me smile And it is free! :D
Sending private messages can be kinda tedious if you are chatting to more persons in private at once, since you have to prefix your message with a dot followed by the nickname of the user the message is meant for.
For instance: .moogle hi there moogs! would send "hi there moogs!" to one of everyone's favourite chatsters, moogle
You can switch between channels via a menu.
Raw servercommands can be send by prefixing them with a comma ,

[updated]
One that looked very promising was wmIRC, a client that says to support both PocketPC as SmartPhone. It had been my favourite for a long time. I even dropped SmartIRC in favour of wmIRC. But the lack of development, list of out-standing bugs and the promising future of zsIRC didn't make it worthwhile anymore to pay for it.
The main downsides are that it is a paid client and that development on it seems to has been halted.
19.95 USD is still quite steep.. especially since I couldn't get it properly to work on my C550.. I could physically enter rooms, and the built-in log function did log the chats.. but no window was opened for that room..
Private chats worked fine though...
On my HTC TyTN II (Also known as HTC Kaiser) it all did seem to work okay most of the times, although on rare occasions it would still occur for 1 or 2 windows.
It has full colour and control code support, and -as mentioned before- supports logging to a txt file on your phone.
It also has a built-in identd-server (although I would not work on mine as I was still detected as identd-less by the server) and supports connecting to SSL IRC-servers.
If you have a touch-screen supporting phone, you can copy single words from the conversation window by tapping on them; they will appear in your input entry box then.

NEW!
The client I prefer to use nowadays, is zsIRC.
It is free, has multiple-window-support, has on-screen typing so you don't have to switch back and forth between a typing window and the conversation window.
It has a shared input bar, so you can type something and if another window opens, you can get back to the other window again and enter the text there
It is stable; it doesn't display strange glitches and doesn't crash (not yet so far anyway).
It is actively developed! This is something that always bothered me about the previous favourites of mine... updates were scarce (even though there were still bugs), or development on them was even halted..
Unsupported commands are sent directly to the server, so raw commands should be supported.
One of the main reasons that I also like this client, is that it supports logging! Logs are stored in one big .log-text file per window and the timestamps are limited to hours:minutes:seconds, so it lacks dates..
Another nice feature of this client is that it displays an on-screen NickList on the side of the screen! It displays the Prefix-symbols (~,&,@, % and +) as well infront of the nicks. One bug with this though is that it doesn't recognise the new prefixes & and ~ properly; it does display them, but if you try to open a conversation through its context-menu, it will open a conversation with the prefix added to the nickname. So for instance trying to open a private conversation with me when I am founder of a room (and thus have the ~ prefix, it will try to open a conversation window with ~FiXaphone instead of just FiXaphone; thus messages typed in there will not be delivered. This is a bug though that occurs in many IRC clients...
The nicklist is properly automatically updated with parts and joins, which is a bug that occurs often on wmIRC and WLirc.
/Joins, /Parts and /Quits are displayed as well with hostnames and messages!
You can copy single lines of a conversation if you have a touch-screen supported phone by tapping on the line. The developer writes though that he is working on buffer-copying too.
So go ahead; download it and try it out. smile

Last but not least, is PocketIRC. But as the name says, it is only for the PocketPC, thus I haven't been able to test it smile (Update: as I now have a TyTN II which is classified as a PocketPC, I could check this client out now; expect an updated article in a while!) Also, it isn't free either. It is 5 USD cheaper than wmIRC though smile
A free alternative would be PocketChat

Something extra for MIDP2.0 support on (older) Windows Mobile devices:
If you have a windows mobile environment (or something else on your phone that can run *.exe's), then you can grab yourself IBM's MIDP2.0 which will allow you to run MIDP 2.0 java applications.
Extract the IVE folder into your \Storage Card\Program Files\ folder and place the MIDP-ANS.lnk link in your (Storage)\Windows\Start Menu folder.
Note: you can use File:/// to load local .jad / .jar files. It is preferred to also have a .jad file (creatable with jadgen or jbench, or by renaming the Manifest file inside the .jar)

You can also get the latest version of the IBM MIDP2.0 from the IBM website

Install it on your pc and copy the contents of
.\IBM\WEME\runtimes\61\wm50-sp-arm-midp20\weme-wm50-s p-arm-midp20_6.1.0.20060317-111429.zip
to your smartphone's storage card and create a shortcut to the Emulator.exe

[size=12pt]Join Us![/size]
Do you know or use an IRC client for a mobile device that I haven't listed? Or just want to show your support to the Mobile IRC Addicts community? Or want to show you are a proud Mobile IRC Addict as well?
GO ON! Post in here :D We mobile IRC geeks don't bite

Changelog:

• Friday the 31st of March, 2006: Initial start of article.
  • Thursday the 18th of May, 2006: Wrote information about getting MIDP 2.0 support on Windows Mobile devices.
  • Saturday the 29th of December, 2007: Updated the article with some more current developments and experiences and added zsIRC.
  • Thursday the 7th of February, 2008: Updated the url of zsIRC project with the new domain registered by me.

Last edited by FiXato on Fri 08 Feb, 2008; edited 5 times in total
Qu
present in silence
Site Admin
Qu has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: lost uhm lots

*Qu waits for siiw siiw

FiXato
(mobile) IRC-Addict
Astral Explorer

*FiXato waits until Q gets herself a mobile phone with IRC possibilities and joins in

Siiw
Infinite Impatience
Globahead
Siiw has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: last 6.april

i admit i am a phone irc addict siiw i am also posting this from the phone!

Current LD goal(s): To bring back a song

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
FiXato
(mobile) IRC-Addict
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sun 02 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

*FiXato is glad to have you as honourable mobile phone addict
without seeing you online from a phone, I probably wouldn't even have mobile irc'ed myself ^_^

Aikho
The Forum Bear
Dream Deity
LD count: <15

PostPosted: Tue 04 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

*Aikho adds line to sig siiw

btw, do i need a mobile internet reader to access the forum from my phone? i usualy can't see the whole page, only the left 128 pixels or something, but i see it all the way down though smile

Aikho
The Forum Bear
Dream Deity

I did it :D this is a post made from my phone! But it took an hour to get in, almost

Siiw
Infinite Impatience
Globahead
Siiw has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
Scribes
LD count: last 6.april

opera mini is a very useful mobile browser, it translates websites to a readable format

Current LD goal(s): To bring back a song

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
FiXato
(mobile) IRC-Addict
Astral Explorer

Opera Mobile is even nicer for the Windows Mobile Phones, unfortunately that version of the browser is pay-ware...

Aikho
The Forum Bear
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Wed 05 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

*Aikho gets Opera mini ^^

ZeroSky0
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

one word: lol ^^

Petter
Suddenly Around!
cookie lover
LD count: 5ish

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2006  Reply with quote

One word Petter hate : lol tounge2

anyway , my mobil cant even egt on the ent , so i guess its impossible for me sadblauw

if I could do it I could still be in WG meh

but I canmt even download stuff on it.

FiXato
(mobile) IRC-Addict
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006  Reply with quote

If you have a windows mobile environment (or something else on your phone that can run *.exe's), then you can grab yourself IBM's MIDP2.0 which will allow you to run MIDP 2.0 java applications.
Extract the IVE folder into your \Storage Card\Program Files\ folder and place the MIDP-ANS.lnk link in your (Storage)\Windows\Start Menu folder.
Note: you can use File:/// to load local .jad / .jar files. It is preferred to also have a .jad file (creatable with jadgen or jbench, or by renaming the Manifest file inside the .jar)

You can also get the latest version of the IBM MIDP2.0 from the IBM website

Install it on your pc and copy the contents of
.\IBM\WEME\runtimes\61\wm50-sp-arm-midp20\weme-wm50-s p-arm-midp20_6.1.0.20060317-111429.zip
to your smartphone's storage card and create a shortcut to the Emulator.exe

I also managed to get wmIRC 2.0 running btw, but that involved getting an earlier (unofficial) release...

FiXato
(mobile) IRC-Addict
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Thu 18 May, 2006  Reply with quote

Btw, Opera has release version 2.0 of their Opera Mini software. (And 8.5 of the Opera Mobile)

Dr Frankenstein
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
Chat Mods
LD count: 2008: 5

PostPosted: Thu 05 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

*Dr Frankenstein uses his Palm and upIRC and WiFi colgate

Page 1 of 3Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

print   ShareShare