What To Do With This Life

I have been doing some thinking and meditation on this topic recently. What do I want to do with my life? It really is a difficult topic to think over, because the expanse of life itself is so great and large that it takes some thinking to get down to thinking about it. Some people are, ironically, are so busy living life, that they never stop and think for a moment, “What do I want to do with my life?” It took me a while, but I came up with simple responses, I want to be as spiritual as possible, I want to learn as much as I can, and love as many people as possible (not the sexy kind of love, but you get the picture :razz: ). I wouldn’t mind doing some thinking somewhere in there, either :cool:

Interestingly, this question popped into my head while I was thinking about the meaning of life. Why are we here? I think the answer that everybody comes up is the meaning to him or her. The meaning of life is different for everybody, and it needs to be discovered and created through time, effort and tears. There is no one meaning. So, inevitably, the question arises here:

What do you want to do with your life?

I have no idea.

The only thing i can think of…

Since i was like 8 me and my friends made home movies,

I’ve always kinda wanted to be a movie director

Problem is, due to other people not caring or my own foolishness i haven’t had the chance to prove myself to anyone yet

But i will! just you watch!

besides that, I have considered multiple options.

Including living alone in the forest.

Though i know i would fail at that :content:

I thought about being a doctor. I’m not sure about that though, biology doesn’t really click with me yet.

…I don’t know right now. Everybody’s making me feel like I should go to specific universities… exceptionally high expectations of me. Personally, I have little enthusiasm in life right now. If I do go to college (which is most likely to happen) it will be because I feel obliged to do it. (Which is probably why I resent my family at this moment -.-)

Hmm… I suppose college is interesting in the scholarly sense. Still… there’s nothing in college that isn’t ascertainable through the real world of life experience and personal research. College is just more convenient. Well… if you have the time and money, mostly the patience for it.

So… from here, I’m not sure. I know I want to live my life for myself. Less people to worry about. I might enjoy college in the pedantic sense, but not socially or competitively. As far as money goes, I’d hate to get paid doing something I love. As ridiculous as it may sound now, I feel that I’d have just assimilated into the “Chuck E. Cheese” culture of capitalism and as consequence, my avidity for what I enjoy would be disparaged of any personaly value other than monetary gain. (Still… being rich and depressed would amuse me for a time.)

Meh… I’m unsure right now. I would like to move somewhere other than America, though. Maybe Taiwan or Peru. I really want to move to the Netherlands, though.

shrug

It’s a very tricky question. Up until now I’ve kind of jumped through the exepected hoops. You know, I went to school until I was 18, and I’m at university now. But when I finish, what do I want to do then.

You know, a couple of years ago I was reading The Unfinished Tales, which is a collection of some of J.R.R. Tolkiens earlier unfinished work. There was a story about Numenor, and about how proficient at sailing they were. And I imagined myself sailing on a big wooden boat, and I suddenly realised: There is so much in this life to do.

I have several goals at the minute. I want to learn how to survive in the wilderness, I want to utilize this in the wilds somewhere, I want to write a book, I want to write an amazing metal song, I want to become very good at travelling long distances at speed on foot.

But if I look into the future, what do I want. I want to be happy. I’m not after fame or fortune. Sure, if someone offered me a million quid I’d very happily take it, and I’d love to be in a situation where I have enough money not to work. But really I just want a simple life. I want a job I enjoy, a family to love, and to walk to a country pub and have a few pints with my friends in an evening.

I’ve always thought about moving to Israel for some reason. I think there is some condition, called like Jerusalem Syndrome, where a person, out of religious obsessiveness wants to go to Jerusalem. hehehe, whatever.

I’m surprised you mention that you would “hate” to work at something you love? Sounds somewhat different to me. I would hate to work at a desk job, but it looks like thats where I am going right now. Not too too bad, though. As long as I like the work. Politics fer me :happy:

The simple life is the life for me, as well, Dreamer. I have difficulty imagining me doing complex crap. I have always imagined myself farming or something simple like that. There are always complexities in simple lives, so that it wouldn’t be as simple or as romantic as originally thought.

What I hate most, is to be bored. I would hate to bored later in life. You gotta keep busy with stuff. I think that is one of the most important things to do. Not too too busy, but somewhere in the middle.

:rofl:

I agree with Dreamer. I wanna experience a buncha different things before my time is up. I having a good life right now :grin: It’s more than I thought it could ever be when I was younger :cloud9:

I’m gonna eat ramen and party with my friends and my girl till Ramadan :boogie:

ok this is random but you just reminded me of a great line from our health class movie last year, “24” (or as we call it: The Stuff of Legend")

Chris aka Jack Bauer: “smells like Ramen noodles…”
Me: “It does!”
Bauer: “wait… ramen noodles really suck… there’s only a few people that would eat them… which leaves us with two choices… It could be Dr. Disastro (the most :ebil: villain ever!), or it could be Tom Cruise…”

:rofl:

Good times.

Bauer Power!

Dude I LOVE the 24 series… one of my fav. tv series, besides Prison Break, Smallville and House MD.

Anyway…

Right now i’m working and my only real goal is to get paid, dammit. I’d like to become much more skilled in my work get promoted enough to be able to support a family in future.

I want to remain working on my hobbies - music, art, lucid dreaming, programming too… and if I ever decide to give up on one of those hobbies it will be a cold, cold day.

Besides all those things I plan to spend a lot of my time watching the most epic movies… dammit i’m still waiting for more trilogies such as the LOTR and the Matrix.

I’d like to be more religiously minded… although I consider myself to be christian I should spend more time with studies and prayer.

Be a surgeon and move to Seattle! lol
I want to write at least one book before I’m ashes.
And try to develop stronger relationships with the people I hold dear to me.
Because without them I wouldn’t be able to survive.

well, when I was like 12 I started to feel closer to god and christian religion to the poin i decided to be a priest, but when I realized the whole religion was a lie ( or at least thats what I think, no ofense) i felt realy depresed and betrayed, then i learned to play guitar, I was realy into it, there were some days I played like for 8 hours, and i wanted to carry out a message of freedom with my music tell the world to set free form the intolerance (mostly created by some religions) and normal thinking, search into their souls but recently i developed some kind of aversion to the instrument, and I realized that it would be a waste of time becuase everything dies,everything ends, even the great human empire will end, now Im just trying to think What the fok I want to do with this life…any sugestions? :confused: :tongue:

In the short term:

I want to make a movie about Religious Intolorance.

Not just coming from religions

But also from atheists (ive seen a lot of intolorance vs. people of any faith at all coming from atheists. Both of them are made up of generally good people, but the few ruin it for everybody).

I even thought of a name. “The Devils We Saw”

All i need is some money and a company of actors

I also want to make a big budget film about LDing, “Lucid”

I even thought of an ending that put Lucidity into a positive light (the whole movie is rather negative, trippy, lol ect).

So i do want to make movies. But it’s hard, especially when nobody will cooperate

too true

even if you cant make a movie, you could make a documentary, or something like that, and the movie will come evntualy

This topic made me very uneasy. :bored: It reminded me that I only have a few days left to apply for universities. While applying is really easy here, I still don’t really know what I want to do.

I’d like to study psychology, but you need all A’s to get in, and I don’t have that. Otherwise… there’s behavioral science, but with that you end up either doing research, or recruiting for companies O_o and I don’t think I’d be thrilled to do either… but I like what the education has to offer, I like the topics.
Then, I’m also thinking, maybe going into teaching. It has to be a rewarding job, passing on knowledge, and it’s different from a desk job, which is a good thing.
Last, I was thinking sociologist, but I’m not even entirely sure what they do, so I think I’m going to rule that one out… then again, I’m not 100% sure about any of the other things, so maybe I’ll apply to that one as well just for the sake of applying, as a safety line or something.

Not going to the University is almost an unthinkable thing for me… my parents raised me with the belief that if you made it to the university, you made it in life, and that belief seems to have gotten stuck in my head… I mean, yeah, obviously there’s a reason behind it :razz: so at least it’s a justified belief.

I guess I’ll see what I’m going to do later, after I applied… need some more time to think about it.

I really wanted to be a professional MLG gamer. The only thing is that it’s kind of a waste, because I’ve been told I think in a different way than most people, but in a good way. BUT, I’ve been a gamer since I was 3 yrs old and I really enjoy and are good at it. I just don’t know if I’m ready to step up my game, though.

My parents would be extremely P’ed off because they have huge expectations of me. I inherited a lot of my being from my dad, including an open and ever thinking mind (and still all this trouble with LDing?), or so I’ve been told. AND, my dad’s side of the family has always been successful and relatively wealthy because they were “smart” enough to get the good jobs.

But then again, they say I should do what I love to do, and that’s video games. I would hate to be involved in making games because that wouldn’t make the game as good knowing that you’re the one who did this part that you’re playing. It just ruins how good the game is. Game testers are the lowest level in the video game development industry and work at minimum wage. In MLG, you just have to be good at it and win. Eventually, a sponsor will find you, give you a deal, and make you big time. And you get to travel around and play video games as a career.

Yeah, that’s what I want. Just playing video games and travelling with 3 or 4 of my friends. Kind of like a band, eh?

I don’t see MLG as a waste. If your spending your days doing something you love, then you haven’t wasted a thing. A professional gamer who loves gaming is every bit as successful as a CEO who loves running a business, or a doctor who loves to heal.

As for me, my dream is to write novels for a living. Epic, Stephen King-style horror novels, to be exact.

Well… I didn’t mention, there is at least one thing I want to do within this life of mine… It’s an epic project I’ve been working on for a few years now. I have yet to actually begin writing the actual manuscript, but it’s still in mind.

I hope I finish before I die…

I could see you writing the next Shining.

Do one thing for me if you end up persuing your goals:

“The Shining” is the only movie that EVER scared me. So If you get a movie deal, make it a good one ! :happy:

I want to take up journalism and write as a reporter in the Middle East, preferably writing in English but possibly writing a minority of my articles in Hebrew. I’d like to write for a huge, international newspaper, but not the BBC or CNN because every article I’ve seen them write about the Middle East is biased.