EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 132
2020 Vision

are lucid dreams against my religion?

Post new topic Reply to topic

Author  Message 
donoteat
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
26
Posts: 79
Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Last Visit: 13 Oct 2008
Location: Washington DC
 
PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

If you look closely, there are people dreaming lucidly in the Bible...

back to top
jagsaw
Dream Deity
Dream Deity
27
Posts: 767
Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Last Visit: 16 May 2009
 
PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

I was gonna say that because I read it somewhere on the wikipedia.... but I couldn't find where....

back to top
Redifin
One Strange Dreamer
Dream Deity
30
Posts: 779
Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Last Visit: 12 Aug 2019
LD count: 33
Location: South (us)
 
PostPosted: Thu 12 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

That's very interesting Donoteat, please can you give me the verse or chapter and book? I'd like to read and interpret it that way.

I'm also a christian, and Slinger that's the best way I've ever seen it put, and I've been trying to put that in words for a long time. I also agree with you when you say, "From a Christian to a Christian." Because when I read your first post I knew excactly what you were saying. I get answers the pretty much excact way, so you were right that he would know what you were saying at the time.



Current LD goal(s): I want to get better DR and have LDs again..it's been so long!
back to top
Smiffy008
Call me Smiffy
Somniologist
28
Posts: 206
Joined: 14 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 29 Aug 2013
Location: On the moon
 
PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

As far as I know lucid dreaming is allowed by any religion, but that's just what I know. But what can stop you? I don't think God is gonna smite you down cause you happen to have a LD.

I might have gone too far, sorry if anyone is offended. But i'm rather like an athiest.


back to top
donoteat
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
26
Posts: 79
Joined: 12 Apr 2007
Last Visit: 13 Oct 2008
Location: Washington DC
 
PostPosted: Fri 13 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

Redifin wrote:
That's very interesting Donoteat, please can you give me the verse or chapter and book? I'd like to read and interpret it that way.



I don't remember exactly where, I think it was David or someone with a name starting with a "D" who wrote "I had a dream, and my heart was awakened during the dream" or something very similar, which almost certainly means something like LDing.


back to top
yus_yus_13
Shitake Mushroom
Novice dreamer
27
Posts: 42
Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Last Visit: 24 May 2008
 
PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

lordrrr wrote:
yeah, maybe i didn't see tarot cards on this site or whatever. it kinda scared me because im totally against that crap.


I just wanted to know why you are 'totally against' stuff like tarot cards? No offense, it just pisses me off when people consider things they know hardly anything about 'evil'. Not that I know a lot about tarot cards, either.

Btw, you probably did see a topic about tarot cards on this site. One example would be 'The Tarot Topic'.

I also highly doubt any religion is against lucid dreaming. One reason I believe this is because hardly anybody even believes it's possible.


back to top
Kimius
Licenced maniac
Astral Explorer
Posts: 263
Joined: 17 May 2004
Last Visit: 02 Jul 2012
Location: Bergen, Norway
 
PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

first, let me say that my take on religion is that it's a crock. theology i can get behind, and understand, but religion is IMHO just stupid. that said, if you want to believe in a religion, that's your call, and i won't say anything bad about it. unless you try to convert me. then it's open hunting season.

but more to the point. christians, and indeed any religious person who says LDing is a sin, is essentially saying that because of fear. fear and weakness. lucid dreaming can't be a sin because, by definition, a sin is only commited when you do something that goes against the teachings of your faith. to the best of my knowledge, none of the major religions have done more than mention in some small passage the very existence of lucid dreaming, much less decried it as a sin. no, the reason for why someone would call lucid dreaming a sin is nothing more than fear.

the reason, you ask? simple. place a person in a world where he/she can do anything. literally anything. no laws, no boundaries, no nothing. the world is what you make of it. you could do whatever you wanted here. if you want, you could play god. or, you could just stand somewhere and pretend that everything is just normal. most people though, will do something that they want to do. eventually, they will be tempted to do something that goes against their faith. everyone has at one point or another wanted to do something that mommy or daddy told them not to, and this is the exact same thing. lucid dreaming is the ultimate temptation, the ultimate lure to commit any sin you want. those who know that they could never resist such a temptation will be quick to cry sin, in the hopes that the temptation will no longer exist. the weak shy away from their fears. the strong face them.

the point is, that only choices can be a sin. temptations are not. being tempted to kill someone is a temptation, but actually killing is the sin. temptations are neither sins nor virtues, and lucid dreaming is the strongest temptation in existence.

so in short, lucid dreaming is NOT a sin. period. end of discussion. what you do inside of a lucid dream though, is open to interpretation. personally i believe that no action in a lucid dream could be considered a sin, because to me at least, a sin requires something negative to happen to someone. it needs a victim, so to speak. and since there is no victim to anything you do in a lucid dream, i can't see a reason for why any choice you make in an LD to be considered a sin. but that, however, is an entirely different discussion.


back to top
Win Laik Pya
Literally Hawkgirl.
cookie lover
30
Posts: 1640
Joined: 08 Dec 2006
Last Visit: 24 Nov 2018
Location: Wisconsin, USA
 
PostPosted: Sun 15 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

Kimius wrote:
. lucid dreaming can't be a sin because, by definition, a sin is only commited when you do something that goes against the teachings of your faith. to the best of my knowledge, none of the major religions have done more than mention in some small passage the very existence of lucid dreaming, much less decried it as a sin. no, the reason for why someone would call lucid dreaming a sin is nothing more than fear.


That being said, only the really hardcore christians / muslims/ whatever would call it a sin in the first place.

And on the topic of playing God, i think that would be a good thing for faith and religion. It's in a controlled environment that doesn't harm anyone in waking life, and i think it would actually bring you closer to god (if you are a theist of course).

That's my two cents wink


back to top
Slinger
Somniologist
Somniologist
30
Posts: 114
Joined: 25 Jul 2006
Last Visit: 05 May 2008
Location: Canada
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

Quote:
It's in a controlled environment that doesn't harm anyone in waking life, and i think it would actually bring you closer to god


Agreed 100%. That was my initial goal and I tried praying in one of my lucid dreams. I just saw light and a feeling of inner peace. Since then I keep forgetting to do that in my LDs. neutral

While it is a controlled environment that does not harm anyone, you have to think about yourself. I'm sure there are things you could do that could be positive or negative to yourself

Like Kimius said, the fact of whether or not what you do in your lucid dream is a sin is open to interpretation depending on your beliefs/morals/faiths. Personally, I think that strong morals should be maintained even in the dreaming world because temptation would exist all around you. Then again, its also a place to sit back and relax and maybe experience things you can't in real life.

Just think about what you want to do, and let your gut feelings tell you if its right smile

Slinger


back to top
Rodrigo
Dream Collector
LD4all addict
Rodrigo has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
31
Posts: 3304
Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Last Visit: 10 Apr 2016
LD count: 91!
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

lordrrr wrote:
thx for all the replies! yeah, maybe i didn't see tarot cards on this site or whatever. it kinda scared me because im totally against that crap. so yeah, thanks so much. im gonna fly tonight for the first time, like my fav game character, NiGHTS! i think ill use WBTB since it seems easy, but ill pursue my research still

Eeer please, I know you may not like Tarot and such, but do not call it "that crap" just because you don't like it smile Other people may feel insulted by this.

I, for example, am quite fond of it... But really, no hard feelings, just giving you a tip.

By the way, you might have seen a topic I posted about Tarot once in the "Beyond Dreaming" forum. Dreaming (or LDing, for that matter) doesn't really have anything to do with it.


back to top
Amused Himself to Death
pretty close...
Dream Deity
31
Posts: 879
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Last Visit: 01 Jun 2012
Location: BC
 
PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't remember exactly where, I think it was David or someone with a name starting with a "D" who wrote "I had a dream, and my heart was awakened during the dream" or something very similar, which almost certainly means something like LDing.
I'm pretty sure that was Saint Augustine. I have remembered hearing about that too. I'm surprised that they didn't burn him for heresy because of it wink5


back to top
LorDrrr
NiGHTS fanboy
Astral Explorer
LorDrrr has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Posts: 387
Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Last Visit: 02 Aug 2011
LD count: 50+
Location: Twin Seeds
 
PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

[quote="Amused Himself to Death"]
Quote:
I don't remember exactly where, I think it was David or someone with a name starting with a "D" who wrote "I had a dream, and my heart was awakened during the dream" or something very similar, which almost certainly means something like LDing.
I'm pretty sure that was Saint Augustine. I have remembered hearing about that too. I'm surprised that they didn't burn him for heresy because of it wink5[/quote
HERETIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!


back to top
PoisonedV
Tripper
Novice dreamer
Posts: 32
Joined: 15 Apr 2007
Last Visit: 09 Aug 2008
LD count: 0
 
PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

lordrrr wrote:
im totally against that crap.

Don't call other peoples beliefs/opinions crap. Other people believe in the power of tarrot cards, etc. Would you like it if I called Christianity crap? I don't think so.


back to top
paulgfx
New member
New member
Posts: 7
Joined: 08 Apr 2006
Last Visit: 27 May 2007
 
PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

Hi.
A time ago a small test: I asked many people from Pentecostal/Baptist churches if they dreamt lucidly (I asked: "have you been aware while you dream that you are dreaming","Could you control your dreams while you knew that are you dreaming" or something like this) , and about 80% said "yes".
Also, Solomon (Kings 3:5-10) while he was dreaming was asked by God to chose something from Him. Even if if that dream doesn't qualify as a "lucid dream" according to LaBerge definition, because it's not written if Solomon was aware or not that was dreaming, it is sure that he had a lucid mind. From having a lucid mind to a lucid dream, is a small step (just ask if you are dreaming).
So, go ahead. Dream lucidly.

Paul


back to top
Redifin
One Strange Dreamer
Dream Deity
30
Posts: 779
Joined: 12 Feb 2005
Last Visit: 12 Aug 2019
LD count: 33
Location: South (us)
 
PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but he called tarot cards crap because it's against the christian religion. Although, I do not call it crap, but I am a christian. I just don't do it, but I'm not going to hate it or the people who do it, because that's not what my God says. He says to love everyone, but discourage it from yourselve, and if someone wants help to help them.

Now then, Lucid Dreams, to my knowledge, are not against any religion I've ever heard of.



Current LD goal(s): I want to get better DR and have LDs again..it's been so long!
back to top
Display posts from previous:
Post new topic Reply to topic

print  

All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB
LD4all ~ spreading the art and knowledge of lucid dreaming online since 1996 ~