are lucid dreams against my religion?

first, let me say that my take on religion is that it’s a crock. theology i can get behind, and understand, but religion is IMHO just stupid. that said, if you want to believe in a religion, that’s your call, and i won’t say anything bad about it. unless you try to convert me. then it’s open hunting season.

but more to the point. christians, and indeed any religious person who says LDing is a sin, is essentially saying that because of fear. fear and weakness. lucid dreaming can’t be a sin because, by definition, a sin is only commited when you do something that goes against the teachings of your faith. to the best of my knowledge, none of the major religions have done more than mention in some small passage the very existence of lucid dreaming, much less decried it as a sin. no, the reason for why someone would call lucid dreaming a sin is nothing more than fear.

the reason, you ask? simple. place a person in a world where he/she can do anything. literally anything. no laws, no boundaries, no nothing. the world is what you make of it. you could do whatever you wanted here. if you want, you could play god. or, you could just stand somewhere and pretend that everything is just normal. most people though, will do something that they want to do. eventually, they will be tempted to do something that goes against their faith. everyone has at one point or another wanted to do something that mommy or daddy told them not to, and this is the exact same thing. lucid dreaming is the ultimate temptation, the ultimate lure to commit any sin you want. those who know that they could never resist such a temptation will be quick to cry sin, in the hopes that the temptation will no longer exist. the weak shy away from their fears. the strong face them.

the point is, that only choices can be a sin. temptations are not. being tempted to kill someone is a temptation, but actually killing is the sin. temptations are neither sins nor virtues, and lucid dreaming is the strongest temptation in existence.

so in short, lucid dreaming is NOT a sin. period. end of discussion. what you do inside of a lucid dream though, is open to interpretation. personally i believe that no action in a lucid dream could be considered a sin, because to me at least, a sin requires something negative to happen to someone. it needs a victim, so to speak. and since there is no victim to anything you do in a lucid dream, i can’t see a reason for why any choice you make in an LD to be considered a sin. but that, however, is an entirely different discussion.

That being said, only the really hardcore christians / muslims/ whatever would call it a sin in the first place.

And on the topic of playing God, i think that would be a good thing for faith and religion. It’s in a controlled environment that doesn’t harm anyone in waking life, and i think it would actually bring you closer to god (if you are a theist of course).

That’s my two cents :wink:

Agreed 100%. That was my initial goal and I tried praying in one of my lucid dreams. I just saw light and a feeling of inner peace. Since then I keep forgetting to do that in my LDs. :neutral:

While it is a controlled environment that does not harm anyone, you have to think about yourself. I’m sure there are things you could do that could be positive or negative to yourself

Like Kimius said, the fact of whether or not what you do in your lucid dream is a sin is open to interpretation depending on your beliefs/morals/faiths. Personally, I think that strong morals should be maintained even in the dreaming world because temptation would exist all around you. Then again, its also a place to sit back and relax and maybe experience things you can’t in real life.

Just think about what you want to do, and let your gut feelings tell you if its right :smile:

Slinger

Eeer please, I know you may not like Tarot and such, but do not call it “that crap” just because you don’t like it :smile: Other people may feel insulted by this.

I, for example, am quite fond of it… But really, no hard feelings, just giving you a tip.

By the way, you might have seen a topic I posted about Tarot once in the “Beyond Dreaming” forum. Dreaming (or LDing, for that matter) doesn’t really have anything to do with it.

I’m pretty sure that was Saint Augustine. I have remembered hearing about that too. I’m surprised that they didn’t burn him for heresy because of it :wink:

I’m pretty sure that was Saint Augustine. I have remembered hearing about that too. I’m surprised that they didn’t burn him for heresy because of it :wink:[/quote
HERETIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIC!

Don’t call other peoples beliefs/opinions crap. Other people believe in the power of tarrot cards, etc. Would you like it if I called Christianity crap? I don’t think so.

Hi.
A time ago a small test: I asked many people from Pentecostal/Baptist churches if they dreamt lucidly (I asked: “have you been aware while you dream that you are dreaming”,“Could you control your dreams while you knew that are you dreaming” or something like this) , and about 80% said “yes”.
Also, Solomon (Kings 3:5-10) while he was dreaming was asked by God to chose something from Him. Even if if that dream doesn’t qualify as a “lucid dream” according to LaBerge definition, because it’s not written if Solomon was aware or not that was dreaming, it is sure that he had a lucid mind. From having a lucid mind to a lucid dream, is a small step (just ask if you are dreaming).
So, go ahead. Dream lucidly.

Paul

I’m sorry, but he called tarot cards crap because it’s against the christian religion. Although, I do not call it crap, but I am a christian. I just don’t do it, but I’m not going to hate it or the people who do it, because that’s not what my God says. He says to love everyone, but discourage it from yourselve, and if someone wants help to help them.

Now then, Lucid Dreams, to my knowledge, are not against any religion I’ve ever heard of.

I’m atheist, but I don’t go around calling God crap. Maybe I should, judging from the attitudes of most Christians towards other beliefs.

let’s stay on topic here from now on and please respect each other’s beliefs. No bashing of other’s beliefs, be it new-age or christian. Thank you :grouphug:

i never knew one word could take off so majorly.

im sorry, i changed it, okay?

I tried to convince my friend about LDing but he must of thought it was non-relgious. He is hardcore Christian.
I basicly defended everything that he tried to say when he knows nothing about LDing.
Should I try to explain it better? He is pretty close minded. xD

I think I might have rushed it though, but I was bored… lol
I’m trying to get more people into LDing… I’m gonna start with my friends mostly first…

Tell him he needs to be more open-minded. Christianity wouldn’t exist without open-minded people to believe in that Jesus was the messiah at the start.

Ok… thanks… I’ll try it again, …see he wanted the benefits of LDing, and I sayed it relieves stress, and you can talk to dead parents and stuff,… and his dad has cancer, but he already knows he is gonna die… and he isn’t getting sensitive about it, so I didn’t think he would care if i said that… maybe he took that in a wrong way… or something

Also he said he already has stuff like that… i guess he means like meditation… but mediating sucks compared to LDing…

I’m also a Christian, and I agree with the idea that lucid dreaming in itself is not a sin, but rather what you could do with it. For example, from a Christian perspective, trying to use LDing to contact spirits and such would be considered a sin.

Then there’s the fact that the only core aspect that separates lucid dreaming from normal dreaming is the fact that you are aware of the fact that you are dreaming, while you are dreaming.

I’ve never come across any doctrine that prohibits awareness of your own dreams. So, what harm can there be? :smile:

I’m a Christian too (people have asked me have I considered becoming a preacher instead of a cop and have told me how they love how strong my faith is, as an example of where I’m coming from) and I wouldn’t think lucid dreaming is a sin either.

Im Catholic and I see no problem in this, I have even talk to my family and even they dont have a problem with Lucid Dreaming. Plus Lucid Dreaming could be a good thing too on religious side too because if you can master LD you can talk to your sub-con which you can ask advice from. And the advice you would recieve would most likely be with eyes unclouded.

you shouldn’t worry about if its some one elses code wether or not you do things. lucid dreaming is not against any religion that i can think off but maybe what you do in it is against it, but then again most people have imagined killing some one does that mean they go to hell, think of it that way, dreams aren’t real so morrals dont play in until you wake up.

How could you be so totally against something(s) you haven’t a clue about. Ignorance makes me so sad… yea by the way “tarots” aren’t for telling the future. But I do understand that you and your religion are very against such things but, you should know the things you are opposed to, otherwise there isn’t much backing up your opinion. (and I really don’t want to offend anyone, so just to say that I respect all religions and lack there of).