What Book Are You Reading? — Part III

Is it a whole lot better to read to read Destination Void before the Jesus incident? Right now, I’m sort-of reading the Jesus Incident, and sometimes it seems like I’ve missed something… Is the book just like that?

Today i was scanning through Douglas Coupland’s ‘JPod’ which i haven’t looked at for a while. I needed to update myself with the story before i read on. I can’t wait to continue it now :smile:

I was in my school’s library, and noticed the Communist Manifesto on the shelves! I’m liking it quite a lot :smile:.

Edit: Gaa! I keep being the first post in the page in the topic! :neutral:

well, my public library got me hooked on manga

not really books, but eh.

Ranma 1/2, can’t get enough… heh

I’d tell you, but I’d be finished within a half hour…

(I read quickly. I finished Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in 1.5 days.)

Sorry for the late reply. I didn’t notice this post until today.

It’s not really that big of a deal, actually. All you really need to know, I suppose, is that for some reason, Ship became fully aware and came to think of itself as God. It apparently somehow possessed it’s omnipotent powers too. (I really do think it became a god.) The book will just reference on it some times, but all in all, it doesn’t matter.

“The Jesus Incident” can be taken as is. It’s actually my second favorite book, I think, right behind “Dune: Messiah” of the Dune series. I love the whole concept of Ship demanding humanity to figure out what it means to “worShip.”

I’m thinking of picking up Blink and The Tipping Point, both by Malcolm Gladwell. Anyone read these yet?

Patricia Garfield - Creative Dreaming.
I ordered it from Amazon some time ago, and the book has now arrived down at the post office :content:
But first I have to bring it home though…

A book i enjoyed, Vernon God Little by DBC Pierre has been made into a play :yay: So next Thursday I’m going to see it in London and stay over night. Can’t wait :smile:

well, lots of stuff. funny enough, ive read alot of dream related books even before finding out about LD. the pendragon series, the bartimeaus trilogy and the longlight legacy are great books, and the longlight books have many indirect refrences to LD and OBE

Yesterday, I was reading the last pages of Da Vinci Code on the bus, and there was that sentence:

“I got to be dreaming” from french “Je dois être en train de rêver”

Believe me, I did a long RC right thenn and analyzed everything and everyone in the bus! Looking twice a tags on a seat, to see if it would change! Oh well, I was fully awake :smile:

I am also reading, on and off, Exploring the world of lucid dream and What color is your parachute (about job hunting).

My dad bought me Solar Lottery by Philip K. Dick.
I always wanted to read a book by Philip K. Dick since I watched Minority Report.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Greatest thing I ever read

“Neverwhere” by Neil Gaiman.
It took me a while before I started reading his books, but it turned out that I really enyoj reading him.
After this book I will read “stardust”.
Since it has become a movie.

lolpie, dark tower is great! The Eye of the Dragon is wonderful too, different for King, fantasy.

I am reading Hemingway The Paris Years by M. Reynolds, Walden by Thoreau (again, love it in spring), Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette During the Revolution by Nesta Webster and a bit of other French revolution stuff.

woot pasquale Terry pratchett i have loads of his books. At the mo i am reading the dark Tower by Stephen King for the third time I mean the last one in the series and my favorite book i’ve read. :boogie:

I finished Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express. Two words of advice: (1) don’t look up Agatha Christie before reading any of her books, and (2) read the book. It’s good, but the wikipedia page on Agatha Christie gives away a few plot devices that might help you… (I read the page after I had finished the book, but still, I could see how that might help someone…)

And yes, it is a solvable mystery.

Also, I’m almost finished with Malcolm Gladwell’s Blink. It’s a nonfiction book, and it’s about snap-judgments and thin-slicing. Why, for example, do many people prefer Coke to Pepsi? Why were sculpture analyzers able to identify a fake within seconds while a scientist thought the sculpture was the real deal? Why are people able to identify good professors from bad ones with just two seconds of video and no audio? The book isn’t a how-to, really, but it discusses why these are possible, and is very insightful for those of you who don’t use your intuition enough.

The book is structured so that it discusses each point through various examples. In fact, most of the book is examples, anyway. The book reads much more quickly than a typical psychology book, and I highly recommend it.

“the harsh cry of the heron” by Lian Hearn
the fourth book of Otori

I was suprised when I found this since I thought there was only three books but I’m enyojing it and I consider the books about Otori Fantasy even if others don’t

Roland is such a badass. Also the best ending ever to a book :smile:

Picked up Telling Lies by Paul Ekman the other day. I’m only about a quarter of the way through, but it’s pretty amazing. It really does teach you how to detect lies, not like other books that just discuss the psychology of lies and why lies are told and other useless cr-- garbage… Paul Ekman is a fairly good writer, and uses quite a few examples, but keeps his focus on the subject at hand. It seems to me that he’ll present all of the material he wants to discuss throughout the chapter, and then recap the material in a few paragraphs at the end of the chapter.

If you’re looking for a good how-to, or insight into psychology, or want to know more about how to “read minds”, this is a pretty good book to pick up.

(That, and it’s cited by Malcolm Gladwell, so it must be good… :wink:)