EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Extending Time

Author  Message 
QuestForLDs

PostPosted: Fri 16 Jan, 2009  Reply with quote

Who would even want to live in a dream for 100 years?

I am 17 and my life seems to have gone by over a very loooong period of time. I hardly ever am idle and constantly out having fun so days actually go by fast for me. I can't imagine how long someone's life must seem to go by if they are idle and do a lot of sitting around.

Think about this. Let's take an average 50 year old man. They have lived for a very large space of time. To take this person and have them live what their brain precieves as double what it has already lived, the effects on this said individual when they wake up would be catastrophic. They would have more fake memories then real memories. They wouldn't even be able to remember who their IRL friends are. Imagine how hard it would be to distinguish truth from fantasy at that point. Now, this is all saying that the brain absorbs all 100 years as 100 years.

Maybe when you are asleep, your conscious brains remains idle, but your subconscious mind is the one that takes over the helm of controlling your thought process.

We, as humans, do not understand the power of the subconscious mind. It will be a mystery for a very long time, and might not be unlocked. Imagine, if one had the ability to use their entire brain, conscious and subconscious, that said person would be able to do whatever he or she wanted without hindrance. Humans are physically bound by their mental handicaps. After reading on these boards for about a month now, I have come to believe that we use a very large portion of our brain when we sleep and are capable of doing extraordinary things. The thought of us being able to manipulate our very own sense of time while we are asleep does not come across as much of a stretch.

-Maken

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sat 17 Jan, 2009  Reply with quote

QuestForLDs wrote:
Who would even want to live in a dream for 100 years?

I am 17 and my life seems to have gone by over a very loooong period of time. I hardly ever am idle and constantly out having fun so days actually go by fast for me. I can't imagine how long someone's life must seem to go by if they are idle and do a lot of sitting around.

Think about this. Let's take an average 50 year old man. They have lived for a very large space of time. To take this person and have them live what their brain precieves as double what it has already lived, the effects on this said individual when they wake up would be catastrophic. They would have more fake memories then real memories. They wouldn't even be able to remember who their IRL friends are. Imagine how hard it would be to distinguish truth from fantasy at that point. Now, this is all saying that the brain absorbs all 100 years as 100 years.

Maybe when you are asleep, your conscious brains remains idle, but your subconscious mind is the one that takes over the helm of controlling your thought process.

We, as humans, do not understand the power of the subconscious mind. It will be a mystery for a very long time, and might not be unlocked. Imagine, if one had the ability to use their entire brain, conscious and subconscious, that said person would be able to do whatever he or she wanted without hindrance. Humans are physically bound by their mental handicaps. After reading on these boards for about a month now, I have come to believe that we use a very large portion of our brain when we sleep and are capable of doing extraordinary things. The thought of us being able to manipulate our very own sense of time while we are asleep does not come across as much of a stretch.

-Maken

To answer your question. I would! Why not?
The fact that it seems like a long time is the very point, not a problem. I ask you. Why would you like to rather die without hundreds of years of experience? Why not fill the time if it is possible? Why not strech it? I personally don't ever want to die. Be it living here in the physical world, or in dreams. I can say I would prefer either, they both have their charms, but I'd rather live than not live. And if having very long dreams is a way to live as long as possible, why not?

You propose that the experience would be full of "fake" memories. They are not fake, they are real memories of an imaginary world. Or so I believe. And so are waking memories for that matter. Either way, the whole thing about not being able to distinguish between dream and real life is debatable. If one spends so much time in dreams, one will notice a difference when one wakes up. Not being able to fly, things staying in exactly the same place. The list is endless. That's the point of lucidity, telling the difference.
So maybe our other memories are affected. Well that all depends on how the brain works. And since we don't have any data on how 100 year dreams affect memory, if they exist, we can't draw any conclusions. But, assuming this would be an issue, would it not be worth it? To live an extra 100 years is a good payoff for having to readjust. I guess you would have to say some goodbyes before going to bed and all, but you know that the people will treat you as a friend when you come back. 100 years might be a little bit long for beginners of this sort of thing. You might want start small and work your way up to dreaming 100 years a night. Or divide the 100 years over a period of time that seems comfortable, is another way. Depends on how you view the thing.

Inny Binny
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Sun 18 Jan, 2009  Reply with quote

Quote:
The thought of us being able to manipulate our very own sense of time while we are asleep does not come across as much of a stretch.

Our subconscious mind, however, is not just some dormant entity aiting to be wakened. It is more active than the conscious parts, controlling everything that you don't think about. So the parts of your subconscious that are already controlling your heart can't be used for greater processing power. I'm sure perception of time can differ to real time to an extent (happens all the time in life by small amounts), but 100 years? A million times longer, a million times greater processing power? Don't know about that.

On the matter of actually wanting to live 100 years or not...I tend to agree with krakatoa, but the thing is, after living 100 years in a a dream, upon waking it ould almost be like reincarnation - you would have little to no memory of what happened before the dream.

print