The BIG Déjà Vu topic

IMO deja vu is the feeling of something happening before, not coincidences. so thinking about something then seeing something similar later would not be deja vu.

Every now and then I get the odd feeling I am reliving the same thing again. As if I am re-living my life and only every now and again become aware of the repeat…
Really odd feeling as if I’m getting a second chance and making all the same mistakes again :meh:

Last week I saw a man on TV who got a DejaVu´s all the time. Every morning he reads the newspaper he has the feeling that he knows all the blockbluster trades from the NBA, all the tornados in the U.S. and other things.
When he´s invited to a birthday party he thinks:”Why should I go there. I don´t want to celebrate my brothers 40th birthday twice.” He has the feeling his wife tells him always the same things.
He had a crippling stroke or heartattack that causes the DejaVu-feeling…

your right moogle… i’m an idiot xD :wallhit:

This happens to me too like Ill just be doing something normal and then all of a sudden Ill just be like WHOA and it’s the weirdest feeling and then once the moments gone its like I completely forget what it felt like having the dejavu I used to get it like almost every day but its kinda slowed down a bit

I had a big déja vu again yesterday. Me and some friend had to do some presentation for 4 teachers. At a certain time one of the theachers leaves for a few minutes. When the teacher had left the room i took a look to my right (there was a projector screen and one of my friends). At that point I got a very strange feeling, and as I looked forward again I was certain I had seen that situation before, and i’m still certain of that.
Realy weird :tongue:

I get deja vu’s so frequent and each of those moments has a strange feeling. One deja vu seemed so real and I felt something strong in my mind like an explosion. I felt like fainting for some reason :confused:

this night I had a deja vu in my dream and then thought I had seen the situation before in a dream. just didnt realize I was dreaming at that moment. I told the DC who was there that I saw this moment in a dream before.

where can i find definitions of the other deja experiences?

Oh, one of the most interesting things you can do in a dream is to suggest to yourself that you remember all of the other times you were at or near that same location. What will happen is that you will be inundated with dream memories. Your memory will flood over not only with memories concerning that particular location, but it will spread out in relationship to your entire Dream World.

You will realize that you are ALWAYS dreaming… not just when you are asleep, but always, all the time, there is your Dream Persona always going about the Dream World always in some kind of activity. In REM Sleep, yes, you are finally able to catch up to yourself for awhile, but even after you wake up, your Dream Self goes on and on and on.

Indeed, I have something of proof for this assertion. I used to play violin, and then I took up piano. But I sometimes grow lazy and quit my practicing for several weeks. Well, it does not matter. My progress move on. The trick is that I find myself playing in my dreams sometimes. Well, I can only surmise that it must be that I continue to practice in my dreams.

But, anyway, try it. Simply ask yourself to remember about your dream scene. Instead of controling your dream for sex or some silly magic trick, do something truly interesting and open up your Dream Memory.

XD My deja vus tend to have to do with things in files… or in school, internat and screens-- I seem to rarely get events-withpeople-involved deja vous… XD

I never seem to be able to pin just where those things came from-- where I saw it before O-o;
I even had a Deja Vu with a new movie-- a new what would happen and everything! XD ^^ startled my parents at the time, they didn’t know how I knew…

I have deja vu quite frequently. I especially used to have them a lot when I was younger. I even remember one time when I had a dream and then weeks later, the same thing happened.
I also often use the knowledge of the outcome of the previous deja vu to avoid doing something… strange I know, but it seems to work.

[quote=“sno_isulli”]
*In conjunction with deja vu, I get this weird thing I tend to call “the nothingness.” I don’t know if anybody has this but very VERY often I get the feeling like I’m not “here”. I go through the motions but don’t feel like I am actually where I am when I’m there. quote]

I’ve had that feeling every now and then since I was a very little girl… I used to get incredibly freaked out by it and used to call it my ‘lonely feeling’… When I was really young I had to climb in bed with my mum and dad to try and make it go away… it never worked… my mother used to say “How can you be lonely, you’ve got all your family here?!” It was scary as I just felt empty and as if I was invisible… not a very reassuring emotion when you are only about 4! :cry:

Anyway… I get Deja vu ALL of the time… it’s incredibly frustrating…
The freakiest thing though was when I actually had reacurring dreams of this river type thing but I thought it must be the sea because we were going on a ferry… but it was a tiny ferry with a bar to stop cars going over the edge…
About a month later I was going to a rowing regatta at dartmouth (i think it was… it began with a ‘dar’ anyway…)we had to cross the river to get to the other side… then my dad mentioned the word Ferry… I looked over to the other side… there was the hills, the church and the houses… all were in those dreams I’d had… and the ferry was exactly the same… I was incredibly freaked out… was it a premonition? Or just Deja Vu? Had I just imagined that I had had reacurring dreams though I can clearly remember telling my dad about them?? Please enlighten me on this subject!! :confused: i am confuzzled… :help:

I have always said that deja vus are when something we did in a dream happens. A similar thing to what you described has happened to me before, where I was pretty sure that I’d dreamed something that happened during the day.

that is precog and we have a different sticky topic for that.

Yeah I know, but I’m just saying that that’s the explanations for deja vus, just a dream of a similar situation that we could have dreamt at any time in out life but forgot and that’s why we feel like we’ve defintly been in this situatioin before.

I have a theory that Déjà Vu is the misplacement of a thought into the distant memory part of the brain, or maybe a mistagging of the thought into the past thereby giving you two images of a moment, one seemingly in the past and one in your short term memory. I think that the “older copy” of the moment is destroyed "(maybe as an evolutionary adaptation) in favor of the short term memory copy because the brain would have an maddeningly disturbing absense in memory. I mention this because you immidiatly lose the sensation of Déjà Vu as you lose the two copies of the moment, but the brain recalls the seperate sensation of remembering the same thing twice.

This would explain the uncanny indifference between what you think has happened and what just happened during what we call Déjà Vu.

This is untestable in my opinion. There is no way I have heard of to trigger Déjà Vu, therefore we would have to keep a person under monitering constantly in hopes of him feeling Déjà Vu and being able to track the paterns of the brain signals. However the amount of change is probably undetectable and you would only get a spike of shock that the person feels from knowing Déjà Vu has taken place. If anyone would like to add to this theory that I have posted here they may, keep in mind I havn’t analyzed the 6 pages of detailed posts yet =(

not a bad idea you know, spec for 15.

opens ones mind up to a few different ideas

Isn’t deja vu just a momentary lapse, or delay between the sensory data being received and the brain fully processing it?

I couldn’t read the whole topic so if someone already mentioned this then sorry!

My understanding is that you may see or hear whatever it is but your brain doesn’t fully intergrate the info into you right away. This is why when you have Deja vu you sometimes think that you can predict exactly what someone is going to say a split second before you actually hear them say it. You’re not actually predicting it, you’re just remembering before the audio data is actually processed.

What I find more fascinating is Jamais vu, this is when something that you do all the time, something that is incredibly normal to you, feels strange and alien, as if you yourself have suddenly found yourself out of place, out of time even, within your own daily routine.
I get it sometimes in the office, I’ll just be walking down the corridors or something and suddenly the most peculiar feeling of alienation and confusion comes over me and everything that I know becomes unfamiliar and unreal.

A couple days ago, i was sitting in my living room with brother and mom aswell. Watching tv and such, when my dad walks in. I thought to myself, wait this happend before, we were saying the same things and i knew what everybody was going to say. I kept this to myself and even like pointed to where everyone was going to say something. But the oddest thing came when i pointed at my mom and said the exact same thing she said like a second before her.

Eerie isn’t it, true story.

I remember one time I was having Deja Vu and I thought to myself I should just do something totally out of the ordinary so the feeling will stop. So I ran into my living room and rolled on the ground but the feeling only got stronger.

I tend to have the nothingness feeling when I get really excited, and then the feeling of not actually being there makes me do some crazy stuff.