What Book Are You Reading? — Part III

well, lots of stuff. funny enough, ive read alot of dream related books even before finding out about LD. the pendragon series, the bartimeaus trilogy and the longlight legacy are great books, and the longlight books have many indirect refrences to LD and OBE

Yesterday, I was reading the last pages of Da Vinci Code on the bus, and there was that sentence:

“I got to be dreaming” from french “Je dois être en train de rêver”

Believe me, I did a long RC right thenn and analyzed everything and everyone in the bus! Looking twice a tags on a seat, to see if it would change! Oh well, I was fully awake :smile:

I am also reading, on and off, Exploring the world of lucid dream and What color is your parachute (about job hunting).

My dad bought me Solar Lottery by Philip K. Dick.
I always wanted to read a book by Philip K. Dick since I watched Minority Report.

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. Greatest thing I ever read

“Neverwhere” by Neil Gaiman.
It took me a while before I started reading his books, but it turned out that I really enyoj reading him.
After this book I will read “stardust”.
Since it has become a movie.

lolpie, dark tower is great! The Eye of the Dragon is wonderful too, different for King, fantasy.

I am reading Hemingway The Paris Years by M. Reynolds, Walden by Thoreau (again, love it in spring), Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette During the Revolution by Nesta Webster and a bit of other French revolution stuff.

woot pasquale Terry pratchett i have loads of his books. At the mo i am reading the dark Tower by Stephen King for the third time I mean the last one in the series and my favorite book i’ve read. :boogie:

I finished Agatha Christie’s Murder on the Orient Express. Two words of advice: (1) don’t look up Agatha Christie before reading any of her books, and (2) read the book. It’s good, but the wikipedia page on Agatha Christie gives away a few plot devices that might help you… (I read the page after I had finished the book, but still, I could see how that might help someone…)

And yes, it is a solvable mystery.

Also, I’m almost finished with Malcolm Gladwell’s Blink. It’s a nonfiction book, and it’s about snap-judgments and thin-slicing. Why, for example, do many people prefer Coke to Pepsi? Why were sculpture analyzers able to identify a fake within seconds while a scientist thought the sculpture was the real deal? Why are people able to identify good professors from bad ones with just two seconds of video and no audio? The book isn’t a how-to, really, but it discusses why these are possible, and is very insightful for those of you who don’t use your intuition enough.

The book is structured so that it discusses each point through various examples. In fact, most of the book is examples, anyway. The book reads much more quickly than a typical psychology book, and I highly recommend it.

“the harsh cry of the heron” by Lian Hearn
the fourth book of Otori

I was suprised when I found this since I thought there was only three books but I’m enyojing it and I consider the books about Otori Fantasy even if others don’t

Roland is such a badass. Also the best ending ever to a book :smile:

Picked up Telling Lies by Paul Ekman the other day. I’m only about a quarter of the way through, but it’s pretty amazing. It really does teach you how to detect lies, not like other books that just discuss the psychology of lies and why lies are told and other useless cr-- garbage… Paul Ekman is a fairly good writer, and uses quite a few examples, but keeps his focus on the subject at hand. It seems to me that he’ll present all of the material he wants to discuss throughout the chapter, and then recap the material in a few paragraphs at the end of the chapter.

If you’re looking for a good how-to, or insight into psychology, or want to know more about how to “read minds”, this is a pretty good book to pick up.

(That, and it’s cited by Malcolm Gladwell, so it must be good… :wink:)

So on the last day of school there were all these garbage cans out to throw stuff away that was unuseable.

You wouldn’t imagine what great, perfectly good stuff people throw away!

So i actually got a copy of “Sophie’s World” by Jostein Gaarder.

fascinating book

heres a few great books I’ve read recently

Everythings eventual, Stephen King
well its actualy a bunch of short stories (or short novels in some cases)

One door away from heaven, Dean Koontz
one of the best books ever.

Great books, you should check em out.

I’ve decided to stop reading the dark tower for a while because i got It recently and started reading It.

Yeah the ending to the dark ower is cool probably one of the most unique endings i’ve read.

“Loop” by Koji Suzuki.
Third and final of the Ring books (except for the short story collection “Birthday”).

Has anyone read Battle Royale? While I was having a pillow fight with my friends this weekend, someone mentioned it, and I’m going to read it as soon as I’m done with my other book.

There’s a fourth book :happy: :woah: :bounce: !?!?!?!? I loved the first three so I guess that will be the next book I read!

Right now I’m reading the Crossroads of Twilight by Robert Jordan in The Wheel of Time series. It’s a very good series that I first heard about here on LD4all a few weeks ago because of someone’s dream that had something to do with it. I am amazed that it’s not referred to more because a large portion of the series has direct references to Lucid Dreaming, except in the book there is an actual dream world where everything you do in it (in relation to yourself, not objects) is real.

‘The Lucid Dreamer’ - Malcolm Godwin. Excellent!

‘The Order of The Phoenix’ J.K. Rolling, for the second time. I’m re-reading it because the movie is coming out in a month. I was so bored the first time I didn’t even want to read the sequel. Nothing happens in there.

Other than that, I’ll be buying new mangas and books at the end of the month. The volume four of The Pet Shop of Horrors is on the way. :content:

I recently finished Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance which is a must for absolutely anyone in the world, one of the most fantastic books I have ever read.

And I’m almost finished reading Catch 22 which I’ve been meaning to read for years but never got round to.

I read The Tipping Point by Malcolm Gladwell and found that amazing, as usual. It’s a “business” and “current affairs” book, though it reads very much like a fiction book, and defines epidemics surprisingly accurately. It’s a good read for people into business, current affairs, or wanting to understand how trends come about.

I’m reading Freakonomics by Levitt and Dubner. It seems to have little to do with economics at all, mainly because it has no money or stock market stuff in it. The book seems like it discusses mostly current affairs, but studies current affairs as an economist would study the stock market. Basically, it talks about cause and effect, and how they might not be so obvious as they seem. (For example, is it true that politicians are successful in campaigns because they have more money, or do they have more money because they have successful campaigns?)

Simple Heuristics that Make Us Smart by Gigerenzer, Todd, and the ABC Research Group is essentially the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell, except with more research (30 pages to be precise), more ideas, and a more scholarly way of looking at snap-judgments and intuitions. It reads like an easy text book, so you might only get to read a chapter a day before being burned out, but I think it’s well worth the read.

I’m also reading Emotions Revealed by Paul Ekman. It mostly discusses how to detect emotions and when and why people become emotional. I recommend it only to people interested in facial expressions as well as people looking to learn how to “read” people.