Trying to quit smoking

Wow, I had no idea you were an ex- smoker, Bruno. Congrats! Keep up the good work. :grin:

Hmm. As a result of nicotine withdrawal, are you like getting really angry at people? I’ve heard of that happening, where people are really irritable when they quit smoking.

Anyways, congrats on the lack of smoking. They say smoking is harder to give up than heroin. Impressive.

Well Jon indeed I was very irritated yesterday, but it wasn’t without a good reason. =P

Anyways. Hopefully, three days today. The day has only started, but I’m sure decided not to have any today either. Thanks guys for the replies (and Sandra for the “way to go” PM :yay:).

Oh, and Jon, since I’ve addressed to you anyways: just wanted to say, I got your PM, read it, and will reply when I have time (it’s bloody lengthy). And there’s something else I wanted to discuss with you. :smile: So keep an eye on the PM box.

I think your right, giving up through gradual cut downs not work for a lot of people and I think that in giving up anything, not just cigarettes (I don’t smoke) the best way is to just immediatly stop and like you say, the use of pure will. It’s probably ridiculosly dificult but worth it.

well it depends what you are stopping… but if you stop smoking yes, the best way is to stop imediatelly. i was smoking for 8 years and stopped in one second! it sound funny but when you put you last cigarette down, you stopped. and at that point your are a non smoker. i must say that with that point of view it was as easy as claping my hands!

the funny thing with smoking is that it takes you longer to start then to stop!

when you realize that the pleasure doesnt come from cigarette but from silencing down the physical need for that chemical substance you realize you are acting stupid smoking.

this is not some stupid propaganda stuff, if someone feels like smoking, go right ahead, and also i would like to say again that i was smoking for 8 years more than 20 cigarettes per day so i know what i am talking about…

so if you want to quit, just quit, as simple as that…

and most important do not cut down slowly like 5 per day, 4 per day, 3 per day and so on because it only makes you obsessed with cigarettes, and another thing, stop counting the days off… also it makes you just think about that nasty habit you are trying to forget now, and no point really, you cant count for the rest of your life

sorry for a long post!

Then the har thing is to build that willpower :wink:

Gratulations Bruno! :boogie: !

/me gives Bruno Ebil-nonsmoking-ld4all-cookies :cookiemon:

Congrats Bruno! Thats accomplishment for ya!

/me hasn’t smoked for ages! :yay:

/me hasn’t smoked a cigar or cigarette in 16 years!! XD :razz:

:yes: :cry: :lol:

Takk, Petter; shukran, Wis. :happy:

[size=200]Threeeeee clear days already! :hyper:[/size]

Bruno!!! High five!!! :clap:

You’ll be glad they’re gone when they’re gone, buddy. It really makes you feel a whole lot cleaner. And have you noticed how well you can smell and taste?!?

please read the drug posts guidelines
jeez, i wasn’t serious. learn to take a joke.

Hell, yes! Yes! Food tastes awesome already, and the newspaper article says it’ll take 2 weeks for it to taste like it used to! I’m so looking forward to the next couple of weeks!

My mood was better today. Well, yesterday I was nicotine stressed and had other sources of stress, truth be told, whilst today I manage to keep myself in my centre. Oh, and thanks for the other tip, Dan. :razz:

:grin:

I found that my sense of smell seemed supercharged the first couple days after i quit, then I got used to my newly aquired senses, and I ceased to notice it as much after a couple days.

Four days! :woot:

Okay, I’ll stop celebrating every day. But I’m so proud of myself :content:

No, keep celebrating. Up until day fifteen perhaps. Then it gets a bit silly.

i think you should stop because this way you give to much credit to the addiction…

fell the joy of being free! you made it, and it is over now, you beat it and now it is gone! celebrate yes, count no!

this is just my point of view from my experience… any way well done man! :wink:

Gratulations !

Dont stop the celebration ! :cool:

All that talk about better taste makes me want to get this, well “forkjølelse” in norwegian, guess it translates to flu, away.

Attending to popular demand,

Fiiiiiive days! :yay:

So I’m finally getting round to giving up smoking, properly this time, I’ve discovered that doing it on my own steam isn’t working. Bear with me, this is about dreams.

I spoke with my gp and we came to the conclusion that the best bet for me is to use nicotine patches, since lately, due to various stresses and my mood, I’ve been smoking more heavily.

Anyway, I picked up a pack of patches at the pharmacy today, I won’t start wearing them until tomorrow, but when reading the packet this morning I noticed that one of the side effects of the patches was nightmares. I thought that that sounded pretty odd, but also fairly cool, I wondered if anyone had had experience with this?

If it is true then my DJ may be becoming more active for the next few months!

I haven’t used them, but back when I planned on using them I looked into that and you can find people who tell their dreams while on it. They aren’t all nightmares, lots of them are just really weird and cool dreams.

As for the quitting smoking-apparently Chantix has a huge success rate, and I was just recently prescribed it. It uses a very organized system so you can stay on top of things. It also is supposed to give crazy dreams.

Well I put my first patch on this morning, and it’s already working to some extent, I’m not getting the craving for nicotine but I am still getting the craving for the action of smoking itself. I think the habit will be harder to break than the addiction, if that makes sense.

I’ll report on any increase on dream activity tomorrow. Here’s hoping that quitting smoking has some wonderful nocturnal side effects! I wonder if it will increase my chances of becoming lucid?

Yeah I know exactly what you mean. Just know that if you decide to smoke a cigarette, you’ll be pissed at yourself right after lighting it up.

Look at it as a day-by-day thing. Today, I will not smoke a cigarette. Don’t think of the future, just the here and now.