How long have you gone without sleep?

Well weight loss and weight gain are no big deal that can be sorted out by eating a load of chocolate\not eating a load of choclate.

I don’t think you could physicaly stay awake for long enough to actually die from sleep seprivation and if I found myself going mental or really ill I’d just go to sleep. I just want to see how long it takes for that kind of thing to happen, and briefly what it’s like.

34 hours. Not very impressive perhaps, but I won’t try it again anytime soon. I can barely function without atleast 6 hours of sleep a night, just think about what no sleep does to me.

20 hours. Pretty pathetic compared to many other people here, but I pride myself on getting plenty of sleep. I feel miserable and stupid with little of it, and that’s no way to go through life. If I can help it, I won’t surpass one full day without glorious sleep. :content:

Did you read the article linked around somewhere back there?

What they do in lab experiments with rats is tehy have a curved living surface which works a little like a pirate ship at theme parks… rocking from side to side (albeit very slowly in the experiment) so you have to move to the other end at least every few minutes otherwise youll just roll down. So you have to either stay awake or get woken up when you start rolling.

and @Tamara and sno_isulli… This isnt a competition. You should be quite pleased to have had so much sleep.

Oh, I’m well aware of it! I wouldn’t call sleep “glorious” and hope to not surpass 24 straight hours without any if I didn’t value it. :wink:

Besides, I’m also well aware of the horrible effects a loss of adequate sleep can have on a person. In my Sleep and Dreams class, we watched a documentary about a man who attempted to break a record and go so many days without sleep. After hallucinating and falling into a heavy depression, his life went downhill and he died prematurely. It was pretty bleak, to say the least.

Thats cruel! But what I meant was that you couldn’t stay awake long enough to die unless you were getting woken up, I was assesing my own dangers if I try and stay awake as long as possible and seeing as I’m not going to be rolling up and down I’d probably naturally fall asllep before I die. ( I’d just make myself go to sleep if I got really bad anyway.)

the longest I’ve been without sleep was 2 days,last summer.I kinda,messed up my whole sleeping cycle that summer ( staying up till 6.A.M. and whatnot ) so that led to insomnia and 2 days without sleep

@sno_isulli… you have a sleep and dreams class???

Wheres that? cos that is actually a really cool class to have. (and what happens if you fall asleep during class? Is it encouraged?)

Yeah that sounds well good, what a strange class to have.

I didn’t sleep at night a few times. Every day after it is horrible, I feel terrible, just plain sickening. And I can’t stop falling asleep for the next two days.

Once I was trying to stay up for 48 hours, but I crashed at 38. But, I stay up for 24 hours a lot in the Summer. I hope to try and reach point of hallucinations sometime, but I think I’d need someone else there with me to keep me up!

It was at my community college. I took it a few years ago. It could have been really cool and educational, but alas, the teacher was strange and New-Agey (in a bad way). She spent one lousy half a class period on lucid dreaming, and the rest of our time consisted of silly projects and assignments. It was cool to have an actual class about dreaming, though, and when I did my oral presentation, I got everybody excited as I explained how to lucid dream and shared an excerpt from my own dream journal.

While sleeping in class wasn’t encouraged, we did have guided relaxation and meditation sometimes, and people happily napped then. Heh. :tongue:

The longest time I stayed without sleeping was twenty-three hours. I was going to Canada, via the United States and I wanted to sleep on the plane. I would see halos around everything. Funky.

After staying awake for slightly over 24 hrs… I had:
ADHD
Blurred Vision
Decreased Mental Activity
Decreased Concentration
Dizziness
Confusion
Hand Tremors
Irritability
Memory Lapses
Slowed Reaction Time
Slurred speech
DEFINITELY nonsensical speech (my friend who was on the computer with me got REALLY annoyed)
Wikipedia didn’t mention one but I was practically deaf. My friend less than 2 yards away from me had to walk up to me and yell into my ear what he wanted to say. Even then I forgot it after a moment.

i can agree that tiredness causes your sensitivity to sound to decrease. it isnt suprising seen as though your response to all other sensory information also decreases.

The past week has been pretty bad with regards to sleep for me. Infact I diddnt even know what day it was untill I checked there.

First day I was up all night with a horrible fever. Next day I stayed up all night at a party. Next day I couldent sleep cause the guys house was so stuffy so I gave up trying.

Yesterday I got a little sleep, I was kept awake beacause of my cold which is making my eyes and nose hurt.

Couple that with the fact I havent had a decent meal during all of this (kitchens getting fixed) and I am one tired guy.

Around 22 hours is probably the maximum for me.

153 hours, and I don’t recommend it to anyone.

I was doing it for charity, trying to stay up a whole week. I remember one of the guys, who were taking it in shifts to make sure I didn’t fall asleep, grabbed my shoulder and he said to me

“What are you doing, mate?”

I explained that I was catching the feathers that were falling out of the ceiling, he told me to go to sleep. I asked if I had gone a week and his exact words were

“Mate, f*** the starving children, you’ve gone mental! GO TO SLEEP!”

Apparently after he said that I just smiled at him and collapsed.

so yeah, don’t do it.

Raised £800 though!

i’ve gone over a week… It didn’t end well…

nuff said :smile: