Current Wings Quest 128
The Signal

The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic Part III

Author  Message 
SRV
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 22 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

It's not a disease, don't worry and it's not hereditary, I'm the only one in my family who has these troubles.
SP occurs when your sleep isn't regular, that's all.

karisuma
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

SRV73 wrote:
It's not a disease, don't worry and it's not hereditary, I'm the only one in my family who has these troubles.
SP occurs when your sleep isn't regular, that's all.

Thanks I know its not a disease, it's just from what I have read of SP online at least there does seem to be an indication that there is a genetic component and that it can run in families which is why i'm sure now with hindsight what my brother experienced when he was a lot younger, between the age of 5 and 13 was SP.

SRV
Somniologist
Somniologist

Everyone can experience SP, even animals.
So, everyone has the same genetic component.

Astraea
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 10

PostPosted: Sun 29 Apr, 2007  Reply with quote

I get sleep paralalasis quite abit when i try WILD.
I have only seen the 'old hag' once about 3 months after I started trying to lucid dream. It was really wierd because I thought I had woken up and I was lying in bed. my door was open and i saw this black cloaked figure kind of glide across to me. I couldnt move any part of my body but I could blink. At this point i realised this couldnt be real life because I went to sleep wearing one of those sleep mask things. The old hag kept on gliding towards me and i was pretty freaked out. it got so close it was looming about 10cm away from my face. I then just told my self: Its just a dream its just a dream and woke up. its pretty freaky stuff! sadblauw

Bleh
Somniologist
Somniologist

The old hag
PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2007  Reply with quote

although i've only had a few LD's and have never encountered the hag I have an idea of what it is. wat do ya think of the idea of a person who is able to dream link very well that may just realy like screwing with people. one more thing, yes dream links are possible i've had 2 already.

Bleh
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 02 May, 2007  Reply with quote

I take that back lol right after posting that i went to sleep i started hearing voices and seeing what i think was the hag. realy pretty dam scary.

nutriman

PostPosted: Sun 20 May, 2007  Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I'm feeling pretty reliefed now because now I know that I encountered a SP years ago.
Man that was so scary I will never forget that one and I didn't know about SP.
I was inside of an empty and dark house looking into the
hallway. I felt a presence of a ghost or something like that
coming closer. The closer he came, the colder it get (and hey: that was waaaaay before sixth sense....)
when he passed through me I was so shooked that it made me wake up. I opened my eyes, should've seen the wall of my room by then but still saw the hallway, I couldn't rub my eyes or anything because I couldn't move.
then slowly the hallway faded and I could the the wall and could move again.

PHEW!
For all those years I thought that was my only ghost encounter, now SP explanation I like better..

SRV
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 20 May, 2007  Reply with quote

Quote:
I felt a presence of a ghost or something like that
coming closer. The closer he came, the colder it get

Lol, it looks like the Dementors in Harry Potter !!

Drtbikeridr
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Sleep Paralysis
PostPosted: Sun 27 May, 2007  Reply with quote

So, i had my second sleep paralysis in about 2 years. I was waking up from a dream(which i cannot remember. When i opened my eyes, I saw "The Old Hag", as some people might call her. I can;t recall how it happened, but somehow i ripped myself out of the paralysis. I was sleeping with my arm under my pillow, and i ripped out my arm from under the pillow, and i think it popped out of the socket(it is really sore and tender today). I then blinked and "The Old Hag" was gone. I was actually quite scared, and amazed at the same time. I have had sleep paralysis once, and i remember not being able to move. This time, i defeated it. I don't know if I was half way into the paralysis and not fully paralyzed, but whatever it was, its scared me.

keepenitreal
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

Gotta hate the old hag, aloways screwing around with you mind. My one memorable experience with her was two big red eyes staring at me, while she was sitting on my chest. I could not move at all, and the weight on my chest made it hard to breath. The worst part of all was I remember seeing everything in my bedroom as it was in RL. Very scarry.

Drtbikeridr
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

interesting, ya she was in the corner of the room. I told my friend about it and he showed me the "old hag syndrome" on Wikipedia, then he showed me a picture of her, and it looked exactly like what i saw last night.

Naio
just a dreamer
Lucid Initiate
LD count: not enough

ive had sleep paralis twice before
the first time i felt like i was vibrating and i couldnt open my eyes
the second time my eyes were open and a big black figure came towards me... it was quite scary but i snapped out of it

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

In the movie Ju-un the grudge, the japanese version, there is a scene wich seems alot like the old hag thing.
Standing really close to the victim leaned over her with her face very close. I can only imagine how I'd react to that, and having that Idea in my head could one day make it happen if I wake up in SP. Now I feel like watching the movie.

Zz
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

is it true that if you sleep on your side\stomach but suddenly to change to sleeping on your back it's likely that you could get sleep paralysis

SRV
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Mon 28 May, 2007  Reply with quote

Yeah for me, after 6 or 7 hours of sleep, I change my position and lie on my back, and I fall asleep immediately.
On the other hand, when I go to bed, falling asleep on my back is impossible.
And I believe that SP occurs more often in a spine position.

<mod>The discussion continues in Part IV moogle </mod>

print