The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic Part III

argh, thats terrible. i’ve had that happen to me too, one time i was dreaming regularly, walking in my house, when all of a sudden, this dream burglar appeared behind me, and tickled the living crap out of my arms. this went on for about 10 seconds. Absolutely unbearable.

I woke up, with my arms tucked right into my armpits. :cool_laugh: Yeah, i felt sheepish. SP sucks too, its the reason i no longer sleep on my back, i heard thats what sets it off. Though i have had SP where i’ve been lying on my side paralysed, feeling trapped under my sheets, staring at the wall inches from my face, feeling miserable.

Maybe it is the sleeping on the back what sets it off, both times it happened to me I was on my back.

No, the position isn’t important.
Trust me, when I do SP, I’m always on my stomach or on my side, never on my back.

I dont know how I never noticed this topic before lol
I too tend to experience sleep paralysis, usually just before going to sleep, I’ve always had a shocking sleeping pattern ever since I was five which I think encourges it. The episodes are rather irregular and I haven’t had one in a short while, which I have to say makes me rather glad, its never pleasant. At first it would only last for a minute or two and it would be rather boring really, just me being awake not being able to move and deathly scared and almost certain if i closed my eyes I’d die for some reason. However in recent times it has included hynagogic hallucinations, never anyone sitting on my chest but shadowy threatning forms and being sure that someone was coming into the room to kill me, it always really terrifies me. I’m sure my brother did suffer from it when younger, definitely the “hag phenomena” he used to report being awake and seeing or feeling something sitting on his feet so I’m sure it must have been SP cause I know it can run in families although I dont know any older members that have suffered from it.

It’s not a disease, don’t worry and it’s not hereditary, I’m the only one in my family who has these troubles.
SP occurs when your sleep isn’t regular, that’s all.

Thanks I know its not a disease, it’s just from what I have read of SP online at least there does seem to be an indication that there is a genetic component and that it can run in families which is why i’m sure now with hindsight what my brother experienced when he was a lot younger, between the age of 5 and 13 was SP.

Everyone can experience SP, even animals.
So, everyone has the same genetic component.

I get sleep paralalasis quite abit when i try WILD.
I have only seen the ‘old hag’ once about 3 months after I started trying to lucid dream. It was really wierd because I thought I had woken up and I was lying in bed. my door was open and i saw this black cloaked figure kind of glide across to me. I couldnt move any part of my body but I could blink. At this point i realised this couldnt be real life because I went to sleep wearing one of those sleep mask things. The old hag kept on gliding towards me and i was pretty freaked out. it got so close it was looming about 10cm away from my face. I then just told my self: Its just a dream its just a dream and woke up. its pretty freaky stuff! :sad:

although i’ve only had a few LD’s and have never encountered the hag I have an idea of what it is. wat do ya think of the idea of a person who is able to dream link very well that may just realy like screwing with people. one more thing, yes dream links are possible i’ve had 2 already.

I take that back lol right after posting that i went to sleep i started hearing voices and seeing what i think was the hag. realy pretty dam scary.

Hi everyone,

I’m feeling pretty reliefed now because now I know that I encountered a SP years ago.
Man that was so scary I will never forget that one and I didn’t know about SP.
I was inside of an empty and dark house looking into the
hallway. I felt a presence of a ghost or something like that
coming closer. The closer he came, the colder it get (and hey: that was waaaaay before sixth sense…)
when he passed through me I was so shooked that it made me wake up. I opened my eyes, should’ve seen the wall of my room by then but still saw the hallway, I couldn’t rub my eyes or anything because I couldn’t move.
then slowly the hallway faded and I could the the wall and could move again.

PHEW!
For all those years I thought that was my only ghost encounter, now SP explanation I like better…

Lol, it looks like the Dementors in Harry Potter !!

So, i had my second sleep paralysis in about 2 years. I was waking up from a dream(which i cannot remember. When i opened my eyes, I saw “The Old Hag”, as some people might call her. I can;t recall how it happened, but somehow i ripped myself out of the paralysis. I was sleeping with my arm under my pillow, and i ripped out my arm from under the pillow, and i think it popped out of the socket(it is really sore and tender today). I then blinked and “The Old Hag” was gone. I was actually quite scared, and amazed at the same time. I have had sleep paralysis once, and i remember not being able to move. This time, i defeated it. I don’t know if I was half way into the paralysis and not fully paralyzed, but whatever it was, its scared me.

Gotta hate the old hag, aloways screwing around with you mind. My one memorable experience with her was two big red eyes staring at me, while she was sitting on my chest. I could not move at all, and the weight on my chest made it hard to breath. The worst part of all was I remember seeing everything in my bedroom as it was in RL. Very scarry.

interesting, ya she was in the corner of the room. I told my friend about it and he showed me the “old hag syndrome” on Wikipedia, then he showed me a picture of her, and it looked exactly like what i saw last night.

ive had sleep paralis twice before
the first time i felt like i was vibrating and i couldnt open my eyes
the second time my eyes were open and a big black figure came towards me… it was quite scary but i snapped out of it

In the movie Ju-un the grudge, the japanese version, there is a scene wich seems alot like the old hag thing.
Standing really close to the victim leaned over her with her face very close. I can only imagine how I’d react to that, and having that Idea in my head could one day make it happen if I wake up in SP. Now I feel like watching the movie.

is it true that if you sleep on your side\stomach but suddenly to change to sleeping on your back it’s likely that you could get sleep paralysis

Yeah for me, after 6 or 7 hours of sleep, I change my position and lie on my back, and I fall asleep immediately.
On the other hand, when I go to bed, falling asleep on my back is impossible.
And I believe that SP occurs more often in a spine position.

The discussion continues in Part IV :moogle: