Hypnagogic sounds? anyone?

It’s probably not uncommon. Here are some things I have heard during WILD attempts or when waking up in SP after LDs:

a) a loud, swoohsing noise, ranging from like a heavy storm to like a jet engine
Happens quite frequently.

b) a strange voice talking gibberish, somewhat demonic sounding
Happens frequently when I attempt WILD, but doesn’t last long. I am not even sure anymore about the demonic sound to it, it’s probably just that I cannot understand what it says. I just ignore it and go on with the WILDing.

c) children’s voices and laughing
very rarely

d) pulsating noises or clicking sounds
Has happened a few times.

I also sometimes hear beautiful music in dreams (lucid or not), but I also have the problem that I cannot ever seem to remember it. :cry:

hey the tinnitus? that’s when your brain is trying to make fake noise. ie dream noise. So you’re getting somewhere basically. You can use tinnitus for WILD, by focusing on it.

It would nice to hear music :smile:

Usually I hear sounds that startle me back awake.
I have ‘heard’ someone call my name, door opening, people talking nearby, a bear growling, strange sounds.

Sometimes I get an oscillating tone (what some call tinitis sound). If I focus on it sometimes it gets slightly louder, but so far it doesn’t lead further.

Last night I heard a whispering voice saying my name, and it was loud and clear, not imagined at all.

yes.
music for me.
it has only happened a few times but from what i recall it is techno music :confused: . I wish i could remember the beat or right down the lyrics because it would be really interesting. Also, it is very strange becuase ive heard a girls voice singing, and the words just flow, like i am listening to a recording, and i cant make up and rhyme words that quick. :eek: but apparently my subconcious can…

I hear voices.
This isn’t even when I’m trying WILD or anything, just generally as I’m falling asleep, I hear chattering from voices, hundreds at once like being in a crowded room, and I can concentrate and focus on what they’re saying, and when I do actually listen to what they say, it’s a load of complete nonsense.
Also I sometimes get music, which I can also focus on, and change the way it sounds.

What I never see, is these shapes and colours that everyone talks about…
Instead I see whole dream scenes play before my eyes, getting clearer and clearer the closer I get to sleep.

But why don’t I get these colours and things :sad:

Yeh I ocassionly get screams a few times people talking. Never scared me or anything, I just instinctively knew it was in my head.

Never understood it though, not till I came here.

So do any of you know how to conjure up these sounds, because I have had them for a long time, and I miss them…

They have always been compleatly random for me sorry.

Iv’e never really heared anything mysterious… but sometimes I hear quiet tapping or clicking noises…

Ive just remembered a dream I though I had, which could have been hypnagogic sounds. I had the tinitus sound, and I could control the volume of it. Apart from this everything seemed normal, so it could of been hypnagogic.

If I manage to do it again I’ll let you know.

I thought these noises were normal when you are slipping into SP.

Yes it is odd, not everyone seems to get them, many times when I try to WILD i don’t see them either. Strangely I used to get them when I started out. I find I can sometimes get it if I focus on the blackness I can see more than what I am doing in trying to WILD.

I find that you have to be in a certain state, it is very close to being asleep (for me at least) and very often after getting these sounds I fall asleep. [Never had music, but it sounds great! Mostly just random voices, saying random things.]

I think the best way to conjure them up and increase the length of them would be to get into that stage and maintain it. This probably isn’t too helpful, as I don’t know how you would maintain it and my WILD technique may not work for you. All I could suggest would be to think back about what you were doing when you did have it, and if that fails to look for other WILD techniques that you feel may work for you. :smile:

I seem to always get the sounds, I’m not sure how to describe them. Maybe like somebody hitting a metal pot with a wooden hammer underwater?
But they aren’t in my ears, they’re in the back of my head. Sometimes they get so violent that they bring me back to full waking in an instant.
It’s the same sort of noises I hear when I get sleep paralysis, which I used to get all the time when I was younger.
Sometimes I hear screams and people shouting my name, that can get kind of freaky!

Last time I had a feeling in my ears like I was very deep underwater, almost if my ears where full of water ^^ even though my ears felt like no sound could come to it, I still heard some random stuff.

Paus, that sounds pretty similar to what I get, It kinda sounds like when you duck your head underwater in a swimming pool, the sounds become dull and muted, even a bit warped, it’s almost like when your jet lagged and falling asleep and everything sounds much further away than it should do.

Indeed. And I also notice that usually when you think about anything during the hyponogogic state, you tend to forget it VERY easily, even if you try to recall what you just thought about a minute later.

I had almost finished WILDing this morning when a loud ‘BAM!’ woke me up. It scared the hell out of me.

It always freaks me out when that happens.

Mine always comes with a jolt too, just to make it extra freaky!

I kept on getting them last night which sucked, still managed to DILD in the end instead, I wonder if this is the reason?

ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t … &&start=60

Magik is yummy.

I have baked magick cakes myself : P
/off-topicness

To those who get the loud type, how do you manage to stay calm when they occur?