Windows... VISTA!

Yes defiantly many helpful Linux forums out there… If you need help with a specific error you can use google too… (Personal Experience Here) If you search [Ubuntu “The Error Message Or thing causing the problem”] Including the quotes :wink: I’d be shocked if many articles explaining how to fix the problem didn’t come up. Even if they don’t just post in a Linux forum, many people there actually enjoy the challenge of solving problems…

I agree there is probably some background service that detects and configures that… You can do this in XP anyway! Although it has a pain-in-the-a*** tendency to use each page file one after another, great there windows… because using all page files at the same time wouldn’t improve performance or anything…

Heh I’m not anti-windows at all… It’s just I find Linux smoother and less crash prone. Also Windows gives dire warning that your computer might explode if you try to run something you downloaded from somewhere that hasn’t signed the file. In linux I have only ever had 1 dire warning when I was messing with the innards and nearly un-installed the kernel whistles but the warning made me laugh, “You will be hosing your system” lol, I got the message without feeling it was the end of the world.

I actually have a Dual-boot system (One that can start XP And Linux ) I get the benefits of playing games in windows and the smoothness of Linux [Once you get it set up] for day to day activities… I have 14 programs running on Linux right now and it is still useable… god only knows the state windows would be in under the same pressure. (They aren’t empty text files either… most are web-browser windows and have many tabs open in them too.)

BTW I don’t use Ubuntu and I have heard it is more user friendly than the Linux I use. So if what I have said has confused you don’t worry you really don’t need to do what I have done to get it working… :shy: actually I was a total Newbie to Linux about 5 weeks ago and I still managed to overcome driver problems with my Wireless Internet… Because my manufacturer decided Linux wasn’t worthy of drivers :grrr: Don’t panic if you get it installed and not everything works… there are many “do this then that” guides to fix the problem…

I been using using vista since it came out, and I’m loving it.

The sidebar is good for reality checks as you can write in things like the sticky notes :smile:

A friend told me Vista was very like:

‘Erase’

‘Are you really really sure you want to erase that!!!?’

But, I haven’t had any experience with it. I’ve heard tablets don’t work with it though, yet.

It’s true. Vista is like a big guilt trip…

“Did you honestly mean to click that?”

“Really?”

“Aren’t we being hasty here?”

“C’mon, don’t rush things, you still haven’t tried my spiffy new version of Solitaire!”

“Oh… I see… you’d rather run Photoshop than fiddle with all my new features… cries

I just figured out how to disable those annoying user account security messages. Vista’s not that bad really, I haven’t had it crash once.

I guess I’m anti-everything. I hate macs for their non-upgradable features and shitty compatibility with what I have, and I hate Linux simply because I’ve never used it and it’s foreign to me, lol. I grew up on Windows, and granted I hated everything except what I have now, Windows XP, I think it’s still the prime choice. (Vista, being an exception.)

I guess I’ve just gotten used to XP since I’ve used it from release. Why switch operating systems if you already have a favorable one? (unless companies turn annoying and start only making software/games for Vista…that will really piss me off)

I saw that Wacom made a tablet called Bamboo for Vista…

but tablets are so expensive that if I had bought one and had Vista and it didn’t work I’d be :sad: waaah.

There are vista drivers for the old wacom models, there’s even vista drivers for my generic tablet :content:

Bamboo sounds interesting though, I’ll check up on that.

I can’t call it worthless, but it certainly is much less mature than WinXP was at its release.

Had problems with the window manager crashing from time to time, weird windows networking problems etc. Moreover it was slow, much slower than XP, so i’m just leaving it unused on a separate partition for now, despite the license actually being legit (no, i didn’t pay for it).

Maybe in half a year or so i’m running windows update on it and giving it another chance.

But to anyone wanting to run it - I’d say 1,5 gigabytes of RAM is an absolute minimum. It consumes above 400MB cold booted!!!

also, wondows systems always come with annoying trial sofware that nags you to buy it. MACAFEE I WILL NOT BUY YOU! There was, as far I could see, no way to uninstall it, so I tried using some program to delete the program files of it… didn’t work. Still pops up, but when you try to scan with Macfee it comes up witha blank white window.

We were considering buying Macaffe, over Norton…I have XP so those problems won’t happen ^^;;; but still. Hm…wonder why it did that on Vista? :sad:

McAffee and Norton are both more trouble than they are worth. Avast and AVG are the way to go.

Oooh, Thank you! :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

/me uses ClamWin

It’s pretty good.

I changed my mind. Vista’s not that bad really, when I’m not getting the Blue Screen of Death every ten minutes.

ooh BSOD wonderful

My vista has yet too fux up :happy:

it runs extraordinarily well and all my AV and Firewalls seem to be working fine the only thing i can’t stand is

Would you like to install this?

clicks allow

Are you sure?

clicks continue

Do you really want to do this?

clicks yes

Would you sign this legal document send it to microsoft and wait for a reply within 28 days consenting you want to in fact run this program from an unknown publisher that is in fact NOT microsoft or would you like to just chunk your PC out the window.

/me chunks pc out the window lands in rosebushes

My pc has crashed so many times in the past day I had to RC. Vista is utter crap, unfinished and buggy. Overall I’d rather use MS DOS. Bsod is not how I like to spend my time. :sad:

Yes I use AVG here too and I’ve not had any trouble, but to be honest IMO the best protection is being careful what you download and where you browse. That and if you use Internet Explorer keep it up to date with windows update… I think the Anti-Virus should be your last line of defense…

Thank you.

I use IE sometimes, but mostly Firefox. And I don’t go to many websites, just DA and here mostly…and LJ so, nothing too much. I have a NoScript add-on on Firefox which blocks some stuff and Adblock. :smile:

Thank you! :smile:

Is it just me or is Opera more trouble than it’s worth? I’ve been using it for years but ever since it hit 9.xx I have been having many errors and crashes while browsing. Maybe I should go back to FF.