Artificial intelligence, anyone?

Facts, opinions, progress, etc. Will artificial intelligence ever get off the ground? If it does, what form will it take, and how will it get there? How close are we right now?

My beliefs: artificial intelligence getting somewhere seems just about inevitable. If all our genes and proteins can make a brain, we can make one, too, unless we find that our behavior depends on a computation that man-made computers can’t do, and which our brains only possess because they were given the ability to perform that computation by God or something.

I think that the first artificial intelligences will be quite messy, and they’ll get neater as time goes on; and that we’re still pretty far, judging by the current condition of chatbots. Jabberwacky is the best I’ve seen, I think, and it’s not very good.

I don’t believe we will. I don’t believe we’ll explore space. We humans do what we are designed to do, and that’s just to exist. We sleep, work, eat and sleep, hasn’t changed for thousands of years.
Sure we have science to explain things, but tell me: What are we?, if you say we’re just made up of atoms then tell me what is an atom made off…and what is that made off?
What is holding us all together, what stops us from splitting apart and flying off?
I really do think that the human race is meant to just live its life. We are not capable of making AI, it’s too much for us to understand, since we don’t even understand the most basic’s of science, where do we start?

Sorry if I went off the plot. Just trying to make a point.

Well, we are making progress at the basics of physics, and I’d call AI more of a mathematical thing than a physical thing, since chances are it’ll be a computer program of some sort, and computer programs can be described mathematically.

Also, due to evolution, the “ultimate desire” is to reproduce–theoretically, anyway. Of course, helping with AI doesn’t immediately help you to reproduce–theory seems to say it’ll give you money instead. I guess you could spend your money on having kids…

I beleiev we’ll make a transformer of sorts that will at first be for helping then will become a war machine and be like skynet and then we will fight with the machines bwahahahaha.

I think AI will be developed, but it will be used in such feilds as neuroscience, rather than put into robots or used to pilot planes like in science fiction. If advanced AI was developed and placed into many robots, I think the threat of “robots taking over” could be very real. But humanity won’t get to that point. We’ve read Frankenstien and seen all those robots taking over films. Revolt is always possible. But I think AI will be used for, and should be used for studying consciousness. That is the direction I think AI is going to take. Beyond artificial intelligence, but artifical consciousness.

I definitley think AI will progress,

but I think we should be careful of it. I don’t think thate computers will take over the world in a movie sense, where we are there slaves, nor will that happen because even if they programmed eath other to be “free” we would have to program them to do that first.

I do think, however, that humanity, and human actions might be alienated by a world filled with robots doing everything for you. If that happened it would be very, very bad.

AI will never be capable of anything we don’t put into it directly, and even then, it’ll be simply aping true thought. AI at it’s core is a random selection of pre-written actions and responses, narrowed down by simple variables. I can’t imagine it ever being more than that. More responses? Yes. More variables? Absolutely. More human-like? Of course. More human? Never.

This might be a little off topic but I think if we develop AI we will use it in combination with nano-machines. Nano-machines that self replicate to be efficient enough to destroy cancer cells or ingest nutrients into the bloodstream. Once we have this technology, we’ll inevitably let it slip out of our hands with a simple malfunction and the nano-machines will wipe out life on Earth. lol >_<

It will take something like a century before we make artificial “intelligence” worthy of that name.

Today, our smartest robots have the intelligence of a retarded cockroach, taking 6 hours to scan a room.

It’s going to take one hell of a long time before robots can even try taking over the world.

I believe that AI’s will eventually come about, just like I believe that man will colonize the stars eventually and meet other races eventually. That is if we don’t wipe ourselves out with our self-destructive tendencies first. Whether any of that will happen in my lifetime is unlikely though, just like it is unlikely they will reverse the aging process in my lifetime, but one can hope cant they?

Building upon ShadowSniper’s thoughts:

I always feel this kind of pity for people who die from a sickness only months, weeks, days before the cure is invented. I’m afraid that, if they do ever invent a fountain of youth, it’ll be after I’m dead, haha :happy:

In my opinion, Artifical Intelligence is probably not possible. I just don’t see how one could program ‘consciousness’ into a machine. But still, technology is moving at an extremely rapid pace. I mean, look at the game consoles we have! The graphics are almost lifelike. By Playstation 5 or 6, I doubt better graphics will be even possible. It’ll be like in Futurama, where the TV resolution is greater than that of real life :happy:

Still, there are some who say that we could build a conscious, emotion-feeling robot as early as 2020:
observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/ … 35,00.html

I think humans already are artificial intelligence. We will just be artificial intelligence creating other artificial intelligence.

Kind of like the movie The 13th Floor, where the characters inside a virtual reality create a virtual reality. So they never really know if they are outside of that reality, if another reality exists.