Rainbow Connection

Dystopia or Utopia

Author  Message 
Sunolet
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Dystopia or Utopia
PostPosted: Tue 03 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

which would you rather experience in a LD i mean in Dystopia you get to shoot people, battles with the government, ect. but a Utopia would be a perfect heaven like world what do any of you think personally after seeing equilibrium and the matrix movies i'd go with the Dystopia

Genkai
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

welcome Welcome to LD4all, Sunolet! Enjoy your stay.

I wouldn't consider myself very Zen, so I can't really see any advantage to the Utopia. The predictable bores me.

Dystopia all the way. It's an LD, so I could do all that crazy crap with no consequences. Quite cool really.

Ah, and one last thing: Don't forget, Sunolet. Capital Letters can be your friend. :D

shatterspike1
Threadkiller
Dream Deity
LD count: Dry Spell

Well, since you put it that way, I'd take a Dystopia. Fixing up the world of 1984 would be awesome, and, a utopia would be boring in an LD.

Win Laik Pya
Literally Hawkgirl.
cookie lover

i sway both!

a dystopia for when i need to take out some agression and when i just want to go on adventures, i would head over to a land of medieval strife and such.

But when i just realllly need to relax, go and explore a perfect world of my own design! (where it is always night and yet it's still light enough to see fine)

Marvin
cookie lover
cookie lover
Wolfgame
LD count: 15

Why do you set dystopia equal to medieval times?

I think dystopia has nearly nothing to do with the middle age.
Just because it is the opposite of utopia it does not mean it refers to the past. Instead, it is referring to a fictional society that has developed in a bad way (utopia means a good development).

However, I would prefer to discover a dystopian dream world because I imagine it more fascinating.

Win Laik Pya
Literally Hawkgirl.
cookie lover

nonono, just A dystopia IN a medieval setting, not THE middle ages wink5

think warcraft

the medieval setting is just because i think it would be cooler to fight with swords and (refering to warcraft and such) magic, maybe like Lord of the Rings then to fight with guns like in nowadays. Although i will prolly make another future setting one too

painocus
Chooser of the Slain
Dream Deity
painocus has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 83

Fight the government and shoot people...in Utopia!

A lot easier to shoot at something that can't fight back.
...Well I hope they can't fight back whatsthat

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

A utopia does not need to be predictable. In fact, if it is, and you don't like it, it's not a utopia for you is it? There aren't really any rules to what is good or bad, right? Not REALLY. There are many opinions though, and in your dreams, only your's counts. So, in your utopia, you can have action and drama. And a predictable and dreadfully boring place, although free of hatred and terror, may well be a dystopia to some.
So my answer can only be, a utopia.

moinsQ
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

I'd prefer a dystopia! And I would like to do it multiple times, sometimes in medieval settings and sometimes in 1960/1970 settings. :D

Sunolet
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

just saying

if you read Brave New World or 1984 those are utopias in a way that some people disagree with now being in The Stand shooting and destroying Randall Flagg or being in Equilibrium and fighting the police and leaders that would be fun

Odeon
transcendent
Somniologist

TheRealJollyRoger wrote:
But when i just realllly need to relax, go and explore a perfect world of my own design! (where it is always night and yet it's still light enough to see fine)

Very interesting... you are the first person whom I've come by thats somewhat like me. I would say that most of my RL friends know that I like my days darker and that I also like night better.

I'm curious, do you also hate being warm/hot (unless being on a beach of course tounge2).

----------------------------------------------------- -----
And to keep on track of the topic.
I would, like the majority of the people that have replied in this thread, prefer Dystopia in LD. There would be more stuff going on for you to mess with, not that you couldn't do anything you wanted anyways in a Utopian dream scene.

SpaceRace
Explorer
Somniologist
LD count: LDC > 10

PostPosted: Fri 06 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

Well, for me a Utopia would be a mix between a battle scarred place with action everywhere and spots where I could chill in tranquility. As an example, a ruined city filled with zombies could be one setting, but above is my personal spacecraft where I can teleport to at any second and relax in perfect safety. My Utopia is a Dystopia so I say both.

Also, Odeon and TheRealJollyRoger, interesting how both of you like night better, as do I. The perfect setting for me is a clear night, full moon and about 58 degrees fahrenheit, I absolutely hate hot weather, with just a slight breeze I also like rain better than sun and snow better than rain. Not to mention I have pretty good night vision whereas sunny days are usually too bright.

Nice to meet other people like me. ^^

Current LD goal(s): Greater awareness
Hapexamendios
Somniologist
Somniologist

I'd go for a little bit of both. For instance, build my dream headquarters in an utopia and check out more dystopian worlds from times to times.

Wyrmfell
For Now, I Am
Astral Explorer
LD count: >100

I agree with TheRealJollyRoger. Dystopian LDs are nice when you want to let out some stress or just go on a cool adventure, while utopian LDs are for times of relaxation and contemplation. My utopian LDs are set on an island, near a cliffside, while my most fun dystopian dreams have definitely been in Star Wars.

MovieMe
Oneironaut
cookie lover
MovieMe has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Lost count..

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

I'd prefer a dystopia in my next LD, but only because i'd be my first real one. In my second REAL lucid dream I think I'd like to relax someplace empty and beautiful.

print