Experiencing the Non-experienced

Initially, I was never going to post this. I wanted to wait until my next lucid dream to answer this for myself, but now I’m really curious…

Basically, I’ve gotten mixed answers from the posts in topics I’ve read, as well as the websites I’ve visited… I know I won’t be able to lay this to rest until I experience it for myself, but I’m interested in other people’s personal experience:

Is it at all possible to experience something in a dream, such as a sensation, that you have never before experienced in waking life? Both LDs and NDs, alike…

(I realize the human mind is capable of amazing feats, but is it advance enough to simulate a believable experience to which we personally have no knowledge/memory of - other than that which we may only see or hear elsewhere?)

Hey Angsty!

To quickly answer your question, from personal experience, yes!
most definitely.

check out my DJ…

it’s The “Not that Serious” DJ! oh and the LD powers topic. That really stirs the noggin.

You could ask your dream to give you a non experienced experience. i do it unconsciously all the time, because life can be a bit too serious, so i do things in my dreams that defy “real” life expectations, which i honestly think kill the imagination and severely limit our range of experience, while awake and asleep.

have fun and expect a new experience!

-time for bed :grin:

How about flying.
Whenever I fly in LD, I feel something unique. I control my body and make it to fly by will power, I see things from above and feel nothing touching my body (no ground, stairs or anything).

These are my “unexperienced” in reality - “experienced in LD” sensations… :wink:

I think the sensation he’s talking about is for example, bungyjumping in your dream - Since you haven’t done it IRL, would it feel real? Answer: In my example: Yes, cause everyone knows what it’s like to fall. Now in other cases: Yes as well, the brain can create realistic sensation of other stuff too, like putting your hand through a wall often results in a tickling feeling.

I think it’s certainly possible, but not guaranteed. For instance bungyjumping may seem realistic enough in your dream, you fall, you bounce up. I haven’t bungy jumped before but I suspect here will be an amount to blood going to your head since your upside down, when you’re just hanging there I mean. And probably other sensations I don’t know about. But in the dream the sensations may feel very real, even if they are incorrect. Your mind will use your own frame of reference to simulate reality so it may vary. Since your own frame of reference also is the judge, chances are, you will think it’s realistic.