2020 Vision

On Psipog. "The truth will set you free."

Author  Message 
Genkai
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

On Psipog. "The truth will set you free."
PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul, 2007  Reply with quote

After ranting about it in the Sigil-LD topic, I decided that it was important enough to merit a topic of its own.

Psionics- Psionics is the practice of using, enhancing, or developing a variety of purported psychic abilities.

The website Psipog.net was a major catalyst for the growth of the Psionics belief system. Many unsuspecting people have bought into the lies and believe, essentially, that they have superpowers that the rest of the world is blissfully unaware of.

Sean Connelly was the creator of Psipog. After reading his Blog, alittleweird.com, his credibility began to wane a bit. His most recent Blog post that I remember was headlined I am Probably Insane. His only real posts on his Youtube account smlefo are politically-oriented and two of him using his "powers" to try to win the lottery.

Psipog was unexpectedly archived in August of 2006. Abruptly shutting down such a controversial website on the grounds that it fulfilled its purpose should raise a few eyebrows. A good majority of the people on the Psipog forum were DragonBall Z obsessed hopefuls between the ages of eleven and thirteen trying to be special. Therefore any hope of the forum itself constituting evidence is, in effect, shot to Hell. (It's a pity. Psipog does link to us.)

Even Connelly himself said, in his reasons for closing the site, that he never had much success with Psi excluding Astral Projection. And I believe it likely that most alleged "Astral Projections" are merely mistaken WILDS.

The videos, the only remaining scrap of potential truth on the site, could have been quite easily faked. I, being an experienced Magician/Illusionist, could tell you that nothing in that section constitutes what could even be mistaken for evidence. Even they mention that the videos will not prove anything to anyone, just strengthen the hope that current believers have in Psi. And the rabbit hole goes on.

Of course, I always value Firsthand Experience, but my only progress in this field, during the course of multiple months, was having my hands' muscles freeze up while trying to make an energy ball. Actually, those months were of dedicated practice, but I held the belief system for much longer. Furthermore, PK Wheels prove nothing, they are entirely too sensitive to use them as grounds that you have Extrasensory powers. And under glass is no better. Had most of these purported Psychokineticists taken a course in thermodynamics the world would be a better place.

Now I'm sure that there are things that lie beyond the scope of our senses, but Psi? As far as I'm concerned, it's not one of them. I want evidence.

But Science doesn't have the technology to detect it!

This argument is the same used when defending everything from Religion to Santa Claus. "It cannot be disproven, therefore it is logical to believe in it." Three words. Flying Spaghetti Monster.

And then there is the (bizarre) counterargument to why no one has publicly demonstrated these powers and become incomprehensibly wealthy and famous beyond their wildest dreams: That Scientists have already found it and don't want the public to know about it. (Or something to that effect.) It was likely fabricated to make Psi followers feel special and continue the delusion.

Those that believe that they did get results, it was likely a hallucination of sorts under hypnosis. I believe that Mr. Connelly fits this bill. It did not seem like he was lying in his anecdotes, or maybe he is simply insane like his blog post alluded to. Others may have simply been lying to get attention, which shouldn't surprise anyone.

It is all merely preying on peoples' ignorance and wishful thinking.

I leave you with one parting quote. ASmattman, prominent Astral Society forumgoer, reveals the fraud that is his now famous Psiwheel Under a Glass Container 2 video at Youtube!

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5NwRfMJgOQ

Mattman wrote:

Hello everybody, this is the moment you all have been patiently waiting for, and I thank you all for that. To be honest, I’m finding hard to articulate my thoughts at the moment, so I have decided to throw caution to the wind and just start talking. PSIWheel under a glass container and The best psi wheel video: PSIWheel under a glass container were both social experiments, and both illusions. But before deciding how to react to this, I have good reasons behind my actions, and it’s important that you hear me out.

Though I have had my doubts about telekinesis for a long time now, this whole idea of making videos began roughly 18 months ago. I don’t recall exactly what made me decided to make the first video, but somehow I got the idea in my head to make a telekinesis video as a means to show that, despite what people may think, these videos are absolutely worthless as ‘evidence’ for the phenomenon known as telekinesis. In reality, it was half for entertainment, half for making a point.

The idea was to make the most convincing (amateur) psi wheel video on the internet, have people rally their support around it as a result, and then when the moment was right, to confess that this video was an illusion, and make the point that no matter how convincing these videos may seem, to always see things like this with a *healthy* level of skepticism, even if you are otherwise a believer in such things. I say a “healthy” level of skepticism because, contrary to my initial expectations, the most ignorant people of this whole experiment where the hardened skeptics. But ill get into that later on, trust me.

I’m a bit hesitant to share the secrets behind my illusions because the last thing I want is for people to use them to make more fake telekinesis videos. But then again, not explaining how I did it could jeopardize the original purpose of urging people to be level-headed, specifically (and ironically) when it come to being skeptical. After weighing the two concerns, I have come to the conclusion that it’s better to expose this information so that people can be aware of it, as opposed to hiding it so that others would have a harder time replicating videos similar to my own.

Last edited by Genkai on Thu 19 Jul, 2007; edited 9 times in total
drumsticks77
Somniologist
Somniologist

(Ducks out of the way to avoid the controversy that is assured to ensue...) =P

But really, this doesn't shake my beliefs in psionics. Well.. at least not the belief that the things that people catagorize as psionics aren't possible.
It just fortifies my belief that this world is truly subjective. Your mindset is your reality.

Xgamer4
Somniologist
Somniologist

It's hard to say that everything psipog said is false. After all, meditation is never a bad thing and it always helps to have better control over your body. The actual psionics part with psi-balls and psi-wheels, etc, I dunno. I guess it's possible, but I can't really say just how so. It's interesting to experiment with when I'm bored, but I've never really let it consume my time.

And yeah, I agree whole-heartedly with the forum comment and the videos. Anyone who took those videos as complete and total proof needs to be smacked up-side the head with reality. As for the forums, they were interesting to read. I went to them for the same reason I go to another set of forums where the inhabitants seem to believe Digimon are real. I, subscribing to the theory of infinite worlds, see no problem with this and go there to see what they believe and to pick out any little bits of knowledge they may have.

Genkai
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

drumsticks77 wrote:
(Ducks out of the way to avoid the controversy that is assured to ensue...) =P

It's my job.

You still believe. It's alright I guess. Not really my business.

Last edited by Genkai on Wed 30 Apr, 2008; edited 1 time in total
The Mad Hatter
BrainWaveGen Addic
Somniologist
LD count: Around 35

"Even Connely himself said, in his reasons for closing the site, that he never had any success with Psi excluding Astral Projection."

Could you link wherever he said this? That's very surprising to me.

"But Science doesn't have the technology to detect it!"

http://www.psipog.net/blog/2006/06/reproducible-resul ts.html

They had some success effecting a Geiger counter.

-Hatter

drumsticks77
Somniologist
Somniologist

Yeah.. it's just nice that you respect others opinions. I can see how frustrating it would be to seemingly waste two months to something completely pointless to you. I don't neccesarily believe in psionics, but I do believe in the effects, and I think "psionics" is just another path to the ultimate end of the supernatural event that happens. Like a Yogi performing a siddhi, or a priest performing a healing. I'm pretty sure these are all paths to one ultimate end. Thats just me though.

Genkai
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

Found your link, Hatter. :D

(Wish their site was easier to navigate. )

http://psipog.net/blog/

There he admits most of the exercises were designed so there was always still hope Psi was real.
"Practice was constructed in such a way that we would easily sabotage our own efforts. After all... what happens if we honestly practiced our hardest, and didn't get the proof we were looking for? Then we were forced to conclude that psionics wasn't real, and therefore the cynical cold mechanical world must be true. So we made backdoors. We constructed a practice in such a way that if we failed, we could make an excuse, so that we could still believe in this mysterious world."

And the Geiger Counter experiment? He doesn't seem very trustworthy from other sources, who's to say he didn't lie?

I suppose that my statement should have said "Even he didn't have much success with Psionics, excluding Astral Projection." *Fixed.

"OBEs are the only thing in psionics where I've felt an extreme amount of confidence. Psi balls are easy, but they are also very subjective. I do believe they're real, and I do believe my instruction for them is solid, but at the same time: who cares?."

And drum, I'm not one of those intolerant prig skeptics. I have morals. grin

EDIT: Connely came to the forums once to correct our description of MILD back when I believed him to be legit. One can only hope he doesn't find this. A flamewar for the ages. hide

Last edited by Genkai on Mon 16 Jul, 2007; edited 1 time in total
The Mad Hatter
BrainWaveGen Addic
Somniologist

Calling the entire thing a lie leaves a bad taste in my mouth, it just doesn't seem very likely, but I certainly can't rule it out.

I can't believe you didn't get any results with psiballs after months of practice. Bad luck I guess?

In my case, I've had practice sessions where my friend reported to the letter exactly what I experienced. No, we didn't talk about what we were planning on doing beforehand, and we did not exchange information in any way during. Neither of us are 11-13, and I certainly do not believe in the flying spaghetti monster or digimon.

I don't need external proof anymore, there is something there. I have experienced it as have my friends. Whether it be "psi," or the mystical idea of chi or the idea of kundalini or prana, I am fairly sure there is an energy that may be manipulated.

EDIT: Oh...I probably shouldn't have posted about it on his blog then...lol. Don't worry, he himself isn't going to start a flame war.

-Hatter

Genkai
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

I held the Belief System for a year. I shared it with my friends and regret it dearly. We were all fooled.

Psiballs, I am convinced that it was placebo effect.

Hatter, I get that you aren't a naive DBZ fan or a Pastafarian. I respect your belief in Psi, it's just that I had no such success.

EDIT: Posted on his blog? XD!

Patarak
Vampire Enthusiast
Lucid Initiate

One of my friends who believes in this crap is 100 percent certain that psi exists. When asked why its not actually a public affair when it comes to research and documented recordings, he starts talking about a giant government conspiracy...

Genkai
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

EDIT: Never mind.

Oh well, Patarak. Government conspiracies about psychic phenomena? I'd say that I have more faith in The Flying Spaghetti Monster and his Noodly Appendage being real.

Last edited by Genkai on Wed 30 Apr, 2008; edited 2 times in total
drumsticks77
Somniologist
Somniologist

I've thought about why, if amazing phenomenoms happen, they aren't more popular and rise up in news and science. You could say they do, but I'm convinced that almost all phenomenom claims in the media are fake. If you take a step back and look from a philosophical perspective, and if you believe that there are higher laws existing in the universe that keep the world in check (karma for example), then it would make sense that real cases of paranormal things don't come to be known so easy. You could probably imagine the problems caused by science proving things that most people didn't believe in, belief systems being shaken, the whole world being forced in another direction, societies collapsing and arising, the list could go on and on. Subjective reality plays a role in this too, I think. I've noticed that only with a lot of seeking do things really manifest themselves. And the quote Sean made about why psionics failed was completely true. The backdoors that we all created corrupted the path to obtaining what we seeked to acchieve. The fact that we created a backdoor meant failure because we didn't believe with enough confidence to take a leap of faith. The hesitation caused the failure, which was justified with our backdoors. Blessed/cursed be the person who takes the leap of faith and finds out the truth...

Patarak
Vampire Enthusiast
Lucid Initiate

Well OBVIOUSLY the government doesnt want us to know about magical meta-human powers, dum-dum...

Genkai
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

I suppose, Patarak. Though that is clearly the Motive Fallacy at work.

Last edited by Genkai on Wed 30 Apr, 2008; edited 1 time in total
The Mad Hatter
BrainWaveGen Addic
Somniologist

Yeah Genkai, I'm the same Hatter. (From the PsiPog Forum.)

print