Character Assisted Lucid Dreaming - CALD Part III

Talon- thank you for your kind words. I am trying to move on but its hard. :sadyes:
So much has happened in just 2 days. Seriously so much my brain is hurting.
First of all I have 3 new characters (I think my subconcious is throwing me characters to ease the loss of Alice.)
so I will introduce them. First theres Carma the black panther I talked about last time. Shes calmer than I expected and sort of just follows me around Arveya pretty scilently though we can talk through minds.
Then came a brother and sister. I was sitting on my bus home 2 nights ago and they walked on sat in front off me and we chatted.
Theres Felicia Oswald who is 15 loud, cheerful , and very bossy
I also have Emanuel Oswald her older brother who is 17 shy quiet and sweet. Him and Felicia look so alike. Plus they are both very good at aiding me in LDs I had like a 10 second one last night :content:
Plus Arveya is coming along nicely.
Thats all for now (sorry for the long post)

I don’t understand CALD what so ever. You people with “characters” act like they are actually alive! Can someone explain this “CALD” in simple terms?

I merged this with the CALD topic. Also, the pathways to lucidity forum is the right place to post questions about techniwues. :cool:

CALD (character assisted lucid dreaming) is a LD technique that Talon created :yes:
You use one or more DCs or consciously created characters to help you LD.
Im sure Talon could explain it better…

Wow O-o;
Perhaps I’m not looking closely enough? Is she your darkside, or something-- or…Uhmmm ~o-o~ Or…Maybe…
Agh, My theory is a bit… I think I’m going to stop thinking about that now.

:stuck_out_tongue: DCs do tend to have less percieved personality-- because in consciousness, we would focus on that aspect alot more…
And as for the quasi-schizo feeling, just remember to have very -very- clear, and strict outlines, and I’m sure you’ll be fine :stuck_out_tongue: I know you have quite a bit of control!
I have very strict rules when it comes to my characters, I could never let them cross that line and blur my sense of reality-- it’s way too dangerous…
:smiley: But thankfully, by beliefs and philosyphys co-incide very well with my system of reality, so it works fine ^^~

I look forward to clarification as to who this character is :P~ My guess is a bit presumptuous, so I’d rather not voice it ^^~
XD
~Tal

:3 That’s not a long post at all, not to worry!
I am happy to hear of these new characters, but still sad to know of your stress-- I know exactly what you mean… It must be very much of a flood.
They sound very nice, and I hope everything settles down soon!
It seems as though Arveya will be a very detailed, nice place… :3 I hope you describe it to us someday! :smiley:

Hoping for your peace of mind–
~Tal

haha, simple–but yes :3 I’ll try my hand at it-- XD But you explained it well :3 Thank you Astraea…

Ouch-- I can’t help but be a bit hurt for the subject title-- And I assure you this isn’t the case. :stuck_out_tongue:
I try to stress this point-- almost to a severe point, for all those coming to observe CALD:

Clear outlines must be set for the perception of the characters’ existances-- Blurring of your sense of reality is not acceptable. Characters are completely incapable of gaining a physical form-- and thus are on a completely different plane of reality-- They are not of our own reality, and never will be-- this should be clear in your mind while working with CALD.

XD~ So-- Now that I got that done… (sorry, I really needed to stress this so it stopped a bit of confusion for others.)

The characters are either made consciously while you’re awake-- and brought to a level of realism in their mannerisms and actions, or are retrieved DCs from dreams…
The goal is to have them help you go Lucid-- And by extention, convincing yourself to go lucid, since they are completely contained within yourself.
But by taking a third person perspective, this is easier-- and besides that, the characters provide benefits past just the lucid-concept.
:smiley: I have tutorials up in part one of the thread for both of these~! :3

I can see your concern-- But treating the characters realistically is part of getting their personalities to become independant, and makes it easier to have them automatically follow through with their actions. Think of it as a kind of auto-suggestion :3.

I know my answer wasn’t exactly simple-- but CALD isn’t a simple technique… It’s quite automatic after you figure out how it works, Though ^^~.

While I know the method isn’t right for everyone, it works wonders for some people who try it ^^~ It’s beneficial as long as people keep clear, and strong lines for their sense of reality. :3 Blurring isn’t acceptable-- but this doesn’t seem to be too much of a problem for people who post here-- they all show an understanding that these characters are created by them… And it’s all in good fun ^^~ It’s just like being more involved with a character you make for roleplaying-- :stuck_out_tongue:

So in summary: Make realistic characters, or take DCs from dreams, and have them get you lucid-- by extention, convince your mind to let you become lucid with a help of something you’ve made yourself.

But, CALD isn’t for ‘crazy’ people-- no one here has shown that tendency ^^;~ I admit, though, you have to have a very maluable kind of thinking to get used to it-- or be conditioned to it before (roleplaying or writing stories).

I hope that addressed your concerns @___a If it didn’t, please feel free to post again~! :smiley:

Tiredly yours… @___a ( and a bit disheartened)
~Tal

Eep–
I feel bad, I am mis-representing CALD, and giving the technique a bad front-- It seems to work for me and others… But maybe I should take it down? If it concerns people on the forum, maybe it’s best it was closed-- …And if I bother people then maybe I should take a step away from LD4ALL. teary.

What do you guys think? I don’t want the people who want to use CALD to be labeled just because of the tech… ;-; And I don’t want to continue to portray this technique if it offends or concerns others-- that’s just not respecting the people of this forum!

Ah…
;-;
Tal

CALD for me though has given me more of an open mind, Even if it hasn’t been succesful much towards me. When I first saw this, I just thought it was something silly, Like a previous DC and trying to summom him to help you LD. But then the creation of imaginary characters baffled me even more, rather confusing for me at first :tongue: . But since i’ve created my own charactesr and they have sometimes slightly spoke. It really has opened my mind up to possibilitys. Before, when people say about Imaginary characters, I thought they were just joking. Now that I’ve actually read about all this, it really makes sense.

if you do decide to leave, at least try and bring the idea of Characters to other places on the internet, it has its own benefits and not many people know of such things.

Hmmm smile :3~
Thanks for posting this-- I’m glad that you’ve gained something from all of this-- I’m happy for it… :3
If i left, it would be because of this-- I don’t think I would want to spread it around where it could be misunderstood any further–
But… I don’t know. I really love LD4ALL, Maybe I would just stay away from CALD-- or, try and wipe my slate clean or…

sigh I hope it’s more beneficial then damaging… But i won’t regret making this thread. If it has benefited at least one person-- and people have told me it has, then it’s worth it.

Thanks Al, I’m glad you replied here… ^^
~Tal

A random passerby might say much the same of LDing. “You say it’s possible to remain conscious while asleep and control your dreams? Dude, you’re nuts!”

Not trying to put down CALD or LDing here, but you’ve got to expect the occasional skeptic here and there. Just take a look at all the positive experiences people have had with this technique, and how few (none that I know of) have had deleterious experiences with it.

:eek: Where did that come from? :eh:

Wee… ;-; Sorry, I must be paranoid-- For every post we see, there are more people who don’t bother posting that same idea.
I guess I’ll have to handle skeptics :stuck_out_tongue:
You’re very logical about this-- I should’ve taken the same route… People have experienced more gain than loss at this point-- I’ll go with that ^^~

Thanks Mecha :smiley:
~Tal

Yo, TA, a while back I posted on this topic saying that I was going to try this and that I had just finished creating my dreamscape. As soon as I was done some kind of char or something appeared in my dreamscape that looked like gaara. Anyways, he was a dark char and started trying to influence/harass me, and would appear whenever I tried to meditate. Eventually I got tired of him and had to get rid of him. The night that I did, I had nightmares such as a cute little puppy morphing into a vicious dog with sharp teeth and blood red eyes and trying to attack me. That passed, thanks to one of my other char.s, but leaves me with two questions: 1) How do you think this guy appeared? 2)How do I prevent this from happening again?

To the first question, my dad said it might be that I accidentally let something else in when I chose to grab a DC rather than completely form my own char from scratch.

What do you think?

Just a quick question about CALD. What is the average chance of it working for a Lucid dream? Like have you ever asked your characters before to become Lucid, they agree and Nothing happens?

Hmmm… Well, Sometimes spontaneous characters appear-- It’s happened to others on the thread :3. It might just be something that happens without reason-- or perhaps spurred by some inner development?

I guess if the character seems undesirable, you should evaluate if you’d want to keep them or not. If not-- then just get rid of them, as you said, forget them and perhaps replace them?

Or very possibly you could create your own personal system to get rid of undesirable characters-- Like a specific character that can eject them if nessicary but you keep reins on them, obviously). Or rules saying that if they make mischief, you could change/destroy them…

To prevent such bad dreams-- I suppose you already have characters that can make that pass :3…

But in the end-- you’re in control of your own mind :3 You can make any sort of system, or set up rules or boundries that can help you control such unpleasent experiences… Or, you could try what I do-- I just keep a good amount of power over my characters, and make sure that they follow my 3 rules:

1. No action or intention of my characters may affect any of the physical people in a negative way.
  2. I am capable of stopping any dangerous actions if it affects anyone of the physical people.
  3. I am capable of destroying/altering characters at will.

I can’t really explain why characters occur randomly-- there could be so many answers… But I do hope this helped you, at least a bit :3

~Tal

Yepyep. I don’t really know the average chance of it working, being that I’m only one person-- But I think that would also depend on how you’ve created your character, if they agree or not (some characters tend to come out stubborn @__a and forcing them to say ‘yes’ like a puppet really doesn’t do much…). The average-- I don’t know-- it’s not used widely enough, updated enough, or used frequently enough yet to gather that…
But to answer your second question-- yes, I have asked a few or my characters to help… and nagged them til they said “Maybe” or “yes” so I’d stop (Mostly cause they’re stubborn, and since I’ve been roleplaying with them they’ve had better things to do). On some level-- I can feel that I am not getting the “Ok I’ll help you” responses after the first time, but I still tried a few times. When I ask and they’re not willing, I get no results in the way of lucid dreams-- D: But they tend to be at least exciting with slightly more clarity :3~

But-- If I asked for help in dream-recall, or waking at a certain time-- I was granted that each time XD. It works pretty much every time I try it the first time with my characters…

Did that answer your question? XD

~Tal

Hey TA! :grin: I sent you a pm because all this CALD talk has got me ALL confused. :silent:

Yes thank you. For my next character, I was thinking that being nice would give him more reason to help me with lucid dreams. Well, talking to him will be a start, complimenting him, rewarding him, appreciating him ect… and generally designing his personality just for helping others.

Could CALD be just that you believe they will be in the dream, and therefor help you by suggesting it is a dream. Like similar to VILD? Or could it really be them actually telling you.

I think, personally how it works-- is since they’re contained within your own mind, that you’re sort of just suggesting to yourself through them to go lucid… But it could be taken in all sorts and kinds of ways XD

As for your character-- It sounds like a great plan XD I don’t see way too many reallyreally giving characters, I think It would be interesting to see more of those :3 Maybe you could update if you do make one, yes? :smiley:

~Tal

Got it and replied~ ^^ I hope it helps to clarify things!
Just remember, :stuck_out_tongue: Don’t be afraid to post stuff on the thread! It would be good, since I can spread the knowledge around :smiley: It would be good clarification to others as well ^^~

~Tal :smiley: