EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

Do you have the guts to criticize a child?

Author  Message 
rad
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Fri 31 Aug, 2007  Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too hard on a kid that was younger than five, but I am pretty good at offering criticism to people above that age in a way that's not negative.

For example, if somebody showed me a picture that they drew and I knew for a fact that they couldn't draw worth shit to begin with, then my expectations would probably be low enough to give them a 'hey, that's not bad'. However, if somebody that I knew had potential showed me a drawing, and it looked like they had a siezure while they were making it, I would probably first ask what it was then make some funny comment and try to make them laugh. I might weave in something along the lines of "it might look more like ____ if you added _____."

In the end though, art is subjective, it's a personal expression. It might look like hell to your eye, but to another person it might hold some kind of value(not necessarily monetary, perhaps sentimental).

Christina-
Niiiiiiiiiii Giggity
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Sun 02 Sep, 2007  Reply with quote

Very young children, I'll definitely lie to if I think the artwork is horrible. Older children, I might lie to them (depending on who they are), but I'll also probably constructively criticize their work in minute ways.

Odeon
transcendent
Somniologist

I think it all depends on age/maturity. I don't think it's too great of an idea to criticize young children. That's why some people grow up being super shy and/or hate talking in front of audiences, etc.

Dream
Telekinesis Dreamer
Lucid Initiate

Odeon wrote:
I think it all depends on age/maturity. I don't think it's too great of an idea to criticize young children. That's why some people grow up being super shy and/or hate talking in front of audiences, etc.

Yeah i also agree

The Nameless One
Sleeping Man
cookie lover
LD count: 2 crappy ones

Re: Do you have the guts to criticize a child?

The Lone Serpent wrote:
Do any of you have what it takes to criticize a kid when he or she presents you with a poor-looking painting, or do you just fake it and pretend that it's great?

Personally, I would go ahead and criticize. However, I still have this unusual feeling of offending another kid just because he or she receives negative feedback. It's the feeling that I'm being a jerk. On the other hand, it may be better for children to realize that their artwork isn't so... good. And most of the time, I prefer to be as honest as possible.

But I do ask myself this question: Are kids too young to face criticism?

Well, tell them kindly, and most importantly, teach them how it's done. They don't know about things, and you should be understanding of that situation and willing to help them.

If you're going to tell them what they've done sucks, then it's better not to say anything. Learning is the first thing kids need, they should be accepted as they are and gently told and taught what's right the first time they make a mistake.

It's not their fault afterall.

Vagabondage
I like turtles
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep, 2007  Reply with quote

Dream wrote:
Yeah i also agree

I was never criticized as a child... but I was shy and hated to talk in front of audiences anyway... eek2

print