Time cover, Oct. 8, 2007

time.com/time/covers/0,16641 … 08,00.html

Anyone see a bit of symbolism in this cover?

Do you mean what do I see in the picture? Well the V22 Osprey’s shadow is making a cross. So Christians are going to Iraq? I’m not sure, I’m confused. :eh:

No, KT. Image analysis 101: what does cross+warcraft represent? Two things. One: death. Two: holy cruzades. It’s a satire, against the Yank government. Pretty clear they’re making serious fun of it.

I like that… (Well - like that they are aren’t afraid to make fun of it.) I’m tired of hearing of War On “Terror”. It’s annoying, just hearing about it every day. I can’t really remember when it wasn’t there - I was about eleven years old when the whole issue began. :sad: [/small tirade] Thanks for that cover, DayLight.

I was very surprised to see such a major news publication deliver such a “subversive” message.

Oh ok I had no idea thanks for the info Bruno

I see more subliminal advertising and fear tactics being used to con people into christianity.

Not looking for any symbolism here, but I hope that Mr. Thompson doesn’t seriously consider himself an authority on the Osprey…Yes it’s true that the tragic crash of the earlier Osprey some years ago was the result of an unproven design, but since then the vehicle has had a complete overhaul. I believe it is a good concept, take advantage of the speed, range, and capacity of a fixed-wing aircraft, and combine it with the go-anywhere, land-anywhere traits of a helicopter. I seriously doubt that the SEAL’s newest toy is a flying coffin, if anything, the Osprey’s mix of attributes should lessen casualties…this is one case where ‘TIME’ won’t tell how it fares(lol…thank you, thank you, I’ll be here all night :adored: ).

The Harrier has all of that, plus rockets. Don’t ask me why they use the Osprey, though.

While it’s true that the harrier has VTOL capability, it is still just a fighter jet(a single seater at that). Which is not to say that the harrier isn’t a great aircraft, it just has it’s place, and that place is not to replace the helicopter. The Osprey is primarily a troop transport/extraction and supply vehicle(designed to replace current choppers like the blackhawk). You could never squeeze twelve or so marines in full battle rattle in a harrier(unless they hung under the wings like missiles, lol) or expect it to deliver ammo to the front lines.

hahahaha. If that’s subliminal, I am literally David Bowie.

and if you’re david bowie, then i am jimi hendrix!

hmm but seriously, it’s fairly obvious… but when i first saw it i thought it was poking fun at the aircraft.

i saw the “cross” and i thought it was supposed to be the outline of some crummy cardboard kids plane that is going to break in less then 30 minutes XD so i guess i was wrong. Or maybe i am just imaginative? yeah, that’s prolly it.

hmmm well at least… that’s a darn cool looking plane :razz:

Crosses generally represent graves, aside from tombstones. If they are trying to be subliminal, then they are way too obvious.