Lucid dreaming without Reality Checks: Is it possible?

Hi!

I am a bit bussy these days and i don’t think i can spend much time for practise to achieve lucid dreaming. The main factor i can’t do is the reality checks. During this period is difficult for me to keep asking to myself “am i dreaming?”.

So i wanted to ask: Is it necessary to do reality checks for achieving lucid dreams, or it can be done without this step, even if it can be achieved more difficult?

Thanks for your time :content:

Not doing RCs will definitly lower your chances of having a DILD-

Other than that I don’t think theres anything else actually :wink:

you can lucid dream without reality checks. but it doesn’t take that much out of your day to carry out a few RCs per day. just choose something that turns up in your dreams quite often and then do a fast RC everytime that happens when you think you are awake

You are able to have lucid dreams while not doing RCs but there is a lower chance of it and that is called DILD.

Of course you can, when i know i’m dreaming, i do them just for fun. If you can’t tell that your dreaming without doing a RC your very odd, or you are on drugs all the time.

I find its just more fulfilling using RC.

Thanks for your replies!

I used to do reality checks but i remember myself being with a watch all the time and having adjusted it to tick every 20 minutes. It was a bit frustrating.

A, something else then: If i do a reality check, but not try to read a paper, do a super jump, change the environment e.t.c., just to wonder if i am in a dream or not. Does this work too?

:yes: it would … I’m trying to get myself to try to levitate for my RC since I know i can do it in dreams

That’s wonderful new! :colgate:

I thought something about timing: I will set my mobile phone to vibrate every 30 minutes. I will realise then it’s time to do a reality check, and i won’t disturb the people around me… :content:

That’s a good idea. I would do that myself, but I don’t know how to set mine on vibrate every 30 minutes.

I usually don’t do RCs, and I had a LD last night. My second ever :]
All I did was read some about LDing right before going to sleep, keeping my mind filled with it until falling asleep. Then in a dream a DC told me it was… That’s right, a dream. And boom, lucid.
So yes, DILDs are possible without RCs :>

RCs are totatally unnessary, BUT they help! Just do a bunch RCs while your getting ready to go to sleep, and do an RC when ever somthing weird happens.

A new idea:

For all of us who do not have the luxury to do a reality check often: we can decide to do one before every important task of our daily life.

E.g. for those who go to university: wake up–>RC, reach to university–>RC, before each lesson–>RC, after university–>RC…and so on :smile:

Hi wanderer, I know how you’re feeling, usually when you are going about your day, there are a dozen things on your mind(esp. in college) and it’s not that you don’t have time to do RCs, you just don’t have the mental free time to commit to LDing several times during the day. I often don’t even think about LDing until I am lying in bed or looking at the forum, so basically I hardly ever use reality checks.

This doesn’t hurt my lucid dreams much though, I find that when enough LDs have been experienced, one will be able to easily differentiate between the real world and the dream world. I did this just last night(after a 1.5 month dry spell), so it’s not like you will get ‘rusty’ if you don’t have an LD for a while.

The only real obstacle is that this takes a great deal of commitment to achieve. I am now able to consistently become lucid at will(I don’t always want to be lucid though) after a year of practice. The hardest part is getting your foot in the door, so to speak, by having enough LDs that you will begin to recognize the signs(you may have to use RCs to get these initial lucid dreams though). Once you get used to it, it will pretty much become second nature(you’ll know that you’ve probably reached this point when you don’t get excited anymore when you realize that it’s a dream).

I know a way to LD without RCs… It’s called WILD.

Just try to stay concious as you are falling asleep.

I’ve done it a few times.

Haha I hate WILD, I need every last bit of sleep I can muster(it doesn’t help that I work the graveyard shift either). :tongue:

Fair enough… For me it isn’t ever really vivid, but it works, at least.

Honestly, yes, sometimes i am so much in pressure that even if i remember the reality checks, i do not have the strength and appetence to do them.

That’s very nice thought :smile:

I really want to give it a try the WILD method, and i am glad that it isn’t required to do reality checks to get it to work!

it depends on which technique your aiming for…

Well i use MILD with almost no RCs, they never helped me really. The technique is working just fine for me and i only use RCs when i suspect im dreaming and want to make sure and increase lucidity. It depends on the person but it’s certain that RCs are not a must in LDing - they just help you out. :content:

yes , its possible ,its called dild