EN | NL | FR
Current Wings Quest 132
2020 Vision

Lucid dreaming without Reality Checks: Is it possible?

Author  Message 
WandererOfChaos
Somniologist
Somniologist

Lucid dreaming without Reality Checks: Is it possible?
PostPosted: Sat 13 Oct, 2007  Reply with quote

Hi!

I am a bit bussy these days and i don't think i can spend much time for practise to achieve lucid dreaming. The main factor i can't do is the reality checks. During this period is difficult for me to keep asking to myself "am i dreaming?".

So i wanted to ask: Is it necessary to do reality checks for achieving lucid dreams, or it can be done without this step, even if it can be achieved more difficult?

Thanks for your time ^^

MovieMe
Oneironaut
cookie lover
MovieMe has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: Lost count..

Not doing RCs will definitly lower your chances of having a DILD-

Other than that I don't think theres anything else actually wink5

moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
LD count: 49 LDs so far

you can lucid dream without reality checks. but it doesn't take that much out of your day to carry out a few RCs per day. just choose something that turns up in your dreams quite often and then do a fast RC everytime that happens when you think you are awake

Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
kTFox has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

You are able to have lucid dreams while not doing RCs but there is a lower chance of it and that is called DILD.

Scarecrow
Logos.
cookie lover

Re: Lucid dreaming without Reality Checks: Is it possible?

WandererOfChaos wrote:
Hi!

I am a bit bussy these days and i don't think i can spend much time for practise to achieve lucid dreaming. The main factor i can't do is the reality checks. During this period is difficult for me to keep asking to myself "am i dreaming?".

So i wanted to ask: Is it necessary to do reality checks for achieving lucid dreams, or it can be done without this step, even if it can be achieved more difficult?

Thanks for your time ^^

Of course you can, when i know i'm dreaming, i do them just for fun. If you can't tell that your dreaming without doing a RC your very odd, or you are on drugs all the time.

I find its just more fulfilling using RC.

Current LD goal(s): Have an SD with that cute little crow.
WandererOfChaos
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Sun 14 Oct, 2007  Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies!

I used to do reality checks but i remember myself being with a watch all the time and having adjusted it to tick every 20 minutes. It was a bit frustrating.

A, something else then: If i do a reality check, but not try to read a paper, do a super jump, change the environment e.t.c., just to wonder if i am in a dream or not. Does this work too?

moogle
1 LD to milestone !
Site Admin
moogle has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
Chat Mods
LD count: 49 LDs so far

yes it would ....... I'm trying to get myself to try to levitate for my RC since I know i can do it in dreams

Current LD goal(s): 6 LDs per year * ND goals - actively incubate interesting/fun dreams

Link to My DJ: www.ld4all.com
WandererOfChaos
Somniologist
Somniologist

That's wonderful new! biggrin

I thought something about timing: I will set my mobile phone to vibrate every 30 minutes. I will realise then it's time to do a reality check, and i won't disturb the people around me.. ^^

kTFox has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!

WandererOfChaos wrote:
That's wonderful new! biggrin

I thought something about timing: I will set my mobile phone to vibrate every 30 minutes. I will realise then it's time to do a reality check, and i won't disturb the people around me.. ^^

That's a good idea. I would do that myself, but I don't know how to set mine on vibrate every 30 minutes.

Zwap
LD count: 3 so far

I usually don't do RCs, and I had a LD last night. My second ever :]
All I did was read some about LDing right before going to sleep, keeping my mind filled with it until falling asleep. Then in a dream a DC told me it was... That's right, a dream. And boom, lucid.
So yes, DILDs are possible without RCs :>

LD count: starting over

RCs are totatally unnessary, BUT they help! Just do a bunch RCs while your getting ready to go to sleep, and do an RC when ever somthing weird happens.

WandererOfChaos
Somniologist
Somniologist

A new idea:

For all of us who do not have the luxury to do a reality check often: we can decide to do one before every important task of our daily life.

E.g. for those who go to university: wake up-->RC, reach to university-->RC, before each lesson-->RC, after university-->RC....and so on smile

rad
Dream Deity

Hi wanderer, I know how you're feeling, usually when you are going about your day, there are a dozen things on your mind(esp. in college) and it's not that you don't have time to do RCs, you just don't have the mental free time to commit to LDing several times during the day. I often don't even think about LDing until I am lying in bed or looking at the forum, so basically I hardly ever use reality checks.

This doesn't hurt my lucid dreams much though, I find that when enough LDs have been experienced, one will be able to easily differentiate between the real world and the dream world. I did this just last night(after a 1.5 month dry spell), so it's not like you will get 'rusty' if you don't have an LD for a while.

The only real obstacle is that this takes a great deal of commitment to achieve. I am now able to consistently become lucid at will(I don't always want to be lucid though) after a year of practice. The hardest part is getting your foot in the door, so to speak, by having enough LDs that you will begin to recognize the signs(you may have to use RCs to get these initial lucid dreams though). Once you get used to it, it will pretty much become second nature(you'll know that you've probably reached this point when you don't get excited anymore when you realize that it's a dream).

The HB
LD4all addict
LD4all addict
LD count: 11

I know a way to LD without RCs... It's called WILD.

Just try to stay concious as you are falling asleep.

I've done it a few times.

Link to My DJ: ld4all.com
rad
Dream Deity

Haha I hate WILD, I need every last bit of sleep I can muster(it doesn't help that I work the graveyard shift either).

print