Half afraid to get lucid...

moved from pathways :moogle:

Before I had ever heard of lucid dreaming or knew what it was,I had a lucid nightmare.It was awful.I dont remember the details-but there was blood everywhere and someone was being murdered,and I knew it was a dream and kept trying to wake up,but I couldnt.It was a terrifying experience.Now I know about lucid dreaming,but I remember that nightmare and am half afraid to try it. :sad: Any suggestions?

a lucid nightmare??
if it was a LUCID nightmare then you should have been able to control the dream oO.
lucid dreaming is really spectacular, even for a beginner like me.
but if your fear is really that big you should not try it. i would rather try to learn lucid dreaming, but it’s your decision and by the way… if you are really good at lucid dreaming you are able to ask your dream to show you your greatest fear (but be prepared that really horrible things might appear… that’s the reason i won’t try this…)

I’ve had nightmares like that. Don’t worry. It’s not like when you actually lucid dream, bad things happen. I think you have your reasoning backwards.

Bad things happening > Lucid Dream.

Lucid Dream > Bad things happening.

The first one is probably what you’re experiencing. The second one… I’ve never heard of anyone having that…

How often do you have nightmares?

Wouldn’t a lucid nightmare be a nightmare in which you know it’s fake? What’s so bad about that? (This happened once to me but degenerated into a musical.)

one thing to keep reminding yourself, is that it’s just a dream. it might be overly obvious, but it does help. no matter how terrifying and scary a nightmare gets, it’s not real. it’s just like seeing a horror flick at the local cinema, only instead of having the blood and gore on a 30ft. tall screen in front of you, it’s everywhere around you. it may look realistic and scary, but once you realise that it’s all fake, it’s much easier to shake that fear and dread.

also, i have a philosophical question for you. is anything you see in a dream going to be worse simply because you are lucid? would you becoming lucid suddenly make the dream turn into a nightmare? personally, i can’t think of any reason for why something like that would be true. if anything it should be the other way around.

Getting lucid is actually a good way to overcome nightmares. When it is a dream, you can do anything. You can escape the scene (for example by teleporting!), rewind time, or confront whatever the problem is. I have sometimes wanted to wake myself up from a dream, and blinking my eyes hard has always worked. :cool:

Lucid nightmares, I’ve heard, are pretty horrible. But just because you had one bad experience doesn’t mean lucid dreaming is scary. Think about it: regular nightmares could occur at any time, but that doesn’t mean you’re afraid of going to sleep! There’s nothing to be afraid of. Besides, practicing lucid dreaming can actually help you overcome your nightmares. If you learn to be able to control your dreams, you can change the nightmare into something cool, not scary. :smile:

I’ve had LD’s like that. You know that you’re in a dream but you don’t realize the implications of that. I’ve literally had dreams where I’ve reminded myself to do something when I wake up :grrr: and so I waste a perfectly good LD :cry:

Well perfect, this could be a chance to overcome your fear.

i know what you mean. i too had a fear of LD’ing when i first started out because i had something close to this before. don’t let it stop you LD’s may seem scary and empty but they arn’t. anything trying to scare you is just a retaliation of the subconcious. fight it. if its an enemy, talk to him or her and ask why they are trying to hurt or scare you. if its anything else, just summon weapons or creatures or just teleport outta there.

Just remember: If you think it will happen, it will happen.

Also note, I’ve had good LDs ruined because I got scared of the silliest things (like harmless little girls and my dad, for instance.)