Big "SP as a gateway to WILD" topic

It’s hard to believe that was all just a hallucination! It felt so real… I’m amazed that I actually go through that every night without realizing it!

I’ll try not to panic next time. I’m hoping that since I’ve been through it now and know that it’s not real, next time I WILD it won’t scare me too much. So basically I just kind of ignore all those weird feelings and just stay focused on entering the dream. Okay.

I do have a couple of questions, though. Is there any way for me to get the vibrations to stop, or do I just have to let them stop on their own? If I relax will they go away? And what do I do when I get into SP? Just lie there and wait for my mind to be sucked into a dream? I’ve heard that a good technique is to simply try to move a part of my “dream body”, like just moving my hand or something. Sorry for sounding like a “noobish person”, I kind of am when it comes to WILDing!

The vibrations arent suppposed to stop, Stop, baaad. Just go with the flow when it comes to SP. Watch the HI, they should be reeaaal powerful by now.

Okay. I’ll just try relaxing and just letting myself enter the dream without trying to force anything. I’m going to try this tonight. Maybe now that I know about it and I’ve been through it, it’ll be easier to face next time.

Advice on not panicking: Just stay indifferent to what is going on. Think stuff like, “whatever” “weird” “like, I’m bored”. It’s pretty funny, actually:-)

Next time you may want to try to move your “dream body” mentally…
I know it sounds hard but if you will it you might get to move outside your room.

Coolness, the mods made this topic sticky! I made a sticky topic! I feel so special! :happy: Okay, aaaaaaaanyway. Just kinda had a little moment there. :content:

I didn’t get to try a WILD last night, but I’m going to try again tonight. I’ll try to become indifferent. I’ll post my results tomorrow, and hopefully I’ll have a high-level lucid to blab about! :smile: For now, I’m off to dreamland!

I haven’t got sleep paralysis yet, but I went for a WILD just this weekend.
I have heard everybody being really afraid of it, but it just seems kind of cool to me, either that or just pure indifference.
When I have more time I am planning on perfecting the WILD technique.
Classes get in the way of LDing way more than they should.
:happy:

I can seriously relate, lately I’ve been spending more of my night hours doing homework than lucid dreaming. Sigh…

Which is partly why I really don’t have any updates to talk about regarding my SP adventures. Last night I was up til midnight (doing an uber-important web-surfing coughassignmentcough :tongue: ) and I don’t try to WILD unless I know I’ll get plenty of sleep. I like to make sure I’m in bed by at least ten if I’m going to WILD (seeing as I have to wake up at seven).

I have to admit, though, I am a little scared this time. Like, I won’t be scared when it’s daytime and I tell myself “Oh, I’ll go ahead and try to WILD tonight”, but when it comes down to it and I’m lying in bed with my eyes closed and that memory of those horrible seizure-like hallucinations, I get nervous about it. Part of me thinks it’s really kind of cool, though, because it’s all in my head and I’m facinated by how the human brain can make something that’s just up there feel so physically real, even though it can’t literally affect or hurt me at all. But I have to say I’m still a little scared.

That is what I did when I had my first WILD a few nights ago. I felt SP, and it was just a vibration throughout my body. It was a bit frightening at how realistic it was (I never had SP before, so I wouldn’t know the feeling) but then I got logical and told myself that this isn’t actually real and I’m not really vibrating, it’s just all in my head. So I just relaxed and waited for it to be over. Besides, if you’re really determined to have a LD, then wait, because if you do and ignore the SP, then your reward will be a lucid dream! Surely your desire to have one is more stronger than a fear of SP? :smile: Maybe if it will help, you can imagine what you would do in a lucid dream (ie. flying, having super powers…) during your SP. Well, you can visualize that and wait until your SP is over.
I’m sorry that your SP is so strong. :sad: My SP was very easy and small compared to yours. My heartrate didn’t even go up, and all I felt is a slight vibration and numbness. But good luck, hopefully you’ll try WILDing again soon. You can report what would happen here and perhaps we can help you with any other problems you have. :content: Just be skeptical about it! Scoff at the idea of being scared by something that isn’t even real!

And here’s one more guy who just had his first SP experience.

I drank a bottle of water last evening to make sure I’d wake up a few hours later and got to bed. I immediately started to WILD, but in the evening I always just fall asleep without noticing… :eh:

Luckily, the water did its job. I woke up 3 hours later… :grin: After going back to bed and WILDing for some time I finally experienced that unexpected, strong, strange vibration all over my body… And now I know what you guys talk about all the time… My conclusion: If you have to ask whether you experienced SP, the answer is you didn’t. If you experience it, you know…

Although I know what it was and I thus wasn’t afraid of it, the vibration woke me up… Stupid me! But anyway, I consider this a major success on my Pathway to Lucidity. Can’t wait for further experiments tonight! :grin:

Just two things were a little bit strange:

1. I had the feeling that the vibrations “were trying to shake my eyes open”. It took some effort to keep them closed. Do you know what I mean?

2. I didn’t have any HI during SP. Maybe it’s because the experience caught me off guard. But if it stays like that, in my first LD I will enter a dark, black room and be all alone… :eek: I’m having some problems with HI anyway, although I try to visualize different stuff…

Joe

Yeah I like your conclusion, if you experience a SP, you know it, period… otherwise, you’re gonna wonder whether it was a SP or not.

1 : Well, having your eyes open during SP isn’t a problem, but you may start seeing scary things in your room. But I never heard of someone whose the experience of SP was making them open their eyes. It’s not a big deal, I think… We shall see in the future what’s gonna happen.

2 : I, for instance, don’t have HI during SP (or very rarely), but one time, I tried to use the vibrations to feel like I was riding a bike (if you know what I mean ==> usin the “energy” of the vibrations), and it worked very well. The dream was gonna start when, for some reason, I woke up.
The next time you have SP try opening your eyes, and you may as well see strange forms in your room or you could also hear voices or strange sounds by your ears.

Consciously entering SP eludes me. I count myself to sleep or I watch my HI and then all of a sudden my heart rate soars and I feel like a big shift is occurring and then… nothing. My foot is in the threshold but the door shuts.

Any thoughts?

Maybe you aren’t sleepy enough. For me, “crossing the threshold” -as you say- is very hard when I’m too awake. But in the middle of the night or early in the morning wen I wake up from a dream and I don’t move, I can easily enter SP. Nevertheless, entering SP isn’t always easy, but I think that being sleepy & aware is one of the keys to do so.

Really?? Wow, that sounds hard-core :smile:
I was wondering, if you can’t move, can you at least scream at this stage? Or if your eyes are open, do you look terrified? I am worried that if I have such an episode and open my eyes, my boyfriend might get even more scared than me :grin: :grin: :grin:

So, does anyone know what a person looks like in SP?

Yes, I think that when somebody experiences SP, and if they have their eyes open, it might look scary on the outside. I read something on the internet that said that a grandma experienced SP and her daughter and granddaughter could hear her voice (she was moaning and screaming feebly).

Once, I had a SP, and I was so much frightened that I had both my eyes and my mouth wide open. And I could have sworn they were open in real life. Imagine a paralysed body with a face like that, I must be quite scary on the outside.

I was wondering if sleep paralysis with hypnagogic hallucinations are a form of ld. I have had these for years in fact I will always have one if I fall asleep on my back. I have had obe for a short instance on these and have tried to somehow control what I was viewing in this dreamlike state. but it always goes haywire and I end up causing something bad to happen or seeing something really frightening. I am hoping that I can learn some techniques to help me because I have had these several times a month for the past fifteen years.

Wussy me tries to pull the covers over my head when experiencing SP. It never really happens. Well, ONE time my forearms functioned just enough to pull the seemingly 10-ton covers up a few inches. Pathetic. :razz:

I definitely wake up into sleep paralysis every now and then, and it isn’t exactly comfortable. However, I have not experienced any of these vibrations commonly described as part of SP. In fact, I’m usually perfectly conscious when this happens, though frustrated at my lack of mobility. Any advice on channeling this into an LD?

Yes, try exiting your body :

• Roll out of your bed,
  • Imagine a rope above you, and pull your way out of your body,
  • Stay there and imagine a landscape, imagine doing something involving MOST of your 5 senses (riding bike,…).

The first one is incredibly hard, but with time, it shall be OK.

I suffered from some pretty terrible SP for a long time, and some of that time included when I lived with someone else. Almost all of them witnessed me going through HSP at some point, often with my eyes open. They’ve told me that they can hear me gasping, sometimes just barely gasping their names for help (I also have been known to talk in my sleep… not sure if this is related), but otherwise looking terrified.

Fortunately the nice thing about having someone else in the bed with you (at least for me) is that if you are having bad HSP and your partner happens to be awake, their concerned touch can cause you to immediately wake up. Not so good for LD, but good for breaking out of bad SP.