Current Wings Quest 130
Rainbow Connection

u know what will be cool! - LD video game

Author  Message 
Nachician
Programmer of dreams
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Tue 18 Sep, 2007  Reply with quote

Well yeah, I've been trying to think of a concept for a LD game. What I thought was that you are this boy who starts getting LD's and discover that you can use it for some things. While you advance, you learn new abilities(Flying, throwing fireballs, stopping time), which are used to achieve the different goals. It was going to be like a Megaman Battle Network game, where you first get to play what would be Real Life and then you go to sleep and play(in a platform way) in the dream.

I even started making it, but stopped since I have no sprites I can use because I suck at spriting(I modified Lan's body for the main character sprite).

By the way, Garry's Mod is made with the source engine, which was used to make Half Life 2, and other games. The engine was created by Valve(HL2).

Himnes
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: Over 100

Love games. If there was a LD game there's a 100% chance that I would buy it.
So Nachician keep going with your game. It will surely turn out great when it's finished tumbsuplinkswitteduim

Current LD goal(s): Meet my SG or my shadow self
Markos J
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

Bones wrote:
Markos J wrote:
I have played that a few times and I don't really think that they are alike. Although you can do stuff that you would be able to do in lucid dreams, it just seems like another shoot-em up game. When you aren't shooting aliens and are building stuff, it just doesn't seem like a LD to me at all. I suppose no video game would be able to do that very well though.

Agreed, the experience is worlds apart. Its still the closest thing I can think of though.
(lol, sometimes I dream of playing GMOD when I want to LD... bit of irony, no?)

Rodrigo wrote:
Markos J wrote:
Mod? Mod for a game? Or is it the game's name?

Its a mod for the source engine. I think that you need Half Life 2 or Counter Strike : Source first.

dreamwalker
Ne Plus Ultra
Dream Deity

Li10 wrote:
A game can't make you smell or feel the wind brushing against your face and body as you SWING THROUGH THE CITY AS SPIDER MAN!!

Haha done that and boy is it fun. Have you ever tried webswinging through the woods/forest, Way harder.

Morpheus :nuu:
this is custom title.
Dream Deity
LD count: 6

PostPosted: Mon 17 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

have you played the game 'Psychonauts'?

It's not about LDs, but it sort of reminds me of them. It's a videogame about entering people's minds.
Here is where you can read about it.

The Mad Hatter
BrainWaveGen Addic
Somniologist
LD count: Around 35

Dream Fall: The Longest Journey is about as close as you can get. If you like adventure games, you'll love this one.

Blitzen
Time Keeper
Somniologist

I gave this a lot of thought on my own, especially since my favorite type of games are RPG's. I thought up learning different aspects of the RPG, maybe learning elements, or flying, running fast. My title for the game if I were to choose would be "DreamScape". I have a better name for it but I am kind of saving it for a cartoon I am soon to make. =/

TwilightDreamer
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

That an interesting idea... RPG style...

The big problem with LD related games is that they will either teach you how to LD, or they will let you feel, somewhat, what can you do in an LD.

So, how about a game in which you can't lose,
Can't die without wanting to,
Can "spawn" things,
Can move in any possible direction,
And can use different items, such as cars, guns, swords...

Basicly, you will need GTA with the source engine, where you are a ghost and can spawn stuff by typing their name in-game (For example, you start to fly up, and while flying, you press the letters CUPOTEA, and a cup of tea apears in your hand)

al
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

PostPosted: Tue 18 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

How about software that isn't necessarily a game, but rather a repeatable routine that presents a random situation and then the user inputs how he or she would react if they discovered at that moment that it was a dream? I guess it would almost be like a flash cards sort of thing, with the question "What would you do if you discovered RIGHT NOW that you're dreaming?" I'd buy a program like that....

moinsQ
Dream Deity
Dream Deity

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

Would be fun, though hard to make, such a game. tounge2

painocus
Chooser of the Slain
Dream Deity
painocus has successfully completed an LD4all Quest!
LD count: 83

PostPosted: Fri 21 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

I was working on an LD game for PC, once. grin
Sadly my computer crashed, and my hard-disc was lost.

Anyway the PS2 horror game Zero 3/Fatal Frame III/Project Zero 3(Half cheesy trailer; Wikipedia Article) mostly acts inside someone else's Lucid Dream, where the main-characters too become aware that they are dreaming (though they have no control of the dream them-self).
It's actually a very good game. ^^

Scarecrow
Logos.
cookie lover

PostPosted: Sat 22 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

You should try again Painocus ^^ i would love to try it

Current LD goal(s): Have an SD with that cute little crow.
JoJoZillasagna
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: googolplex

PostPosted: Fri 18 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

When I was heavily into Diablo (addicted really.I would hold off on going to the bathroom so I could keep killing monsters.) I would play until I finally went to sleep and I would have like 2 or 3 diablo dreams everynight! So if you could make a game whose purpose is to teach you to lucid dream you could get more lucids faster and this would get you to the tipping point where you learn to get lucid BY being lucid so the lucid dreams would generate more lucid dreams instead of having to do all the set up work while you're awake.Also if you want to spread the experience of lucid dreaming then a video game would really "spread the word".As an aside the game could have tons of lucidity related info like the Senoi and the Dreamtime and so on.

print