What Book Are You Reading? -- Part V

This is a continuation of Part IV of “What Book Are You Reading?”, which can be found here.

The bible?! Pft i could never be bothered to read that, it’s waaay too big :tongue:
I just started reading the alchemist and the little prince :yes:

I recently read The Godfather by Mario Puzo. What a brilliant book! loved it so much, that I just bought all 3 movies on DVD. :wink:

And you’ll love the films as well, saddiqqi, I assure you. :smile:

/me is reading:

Plato’s Republic :spinning:wave: Jon)
Umberto Eco’s Trattato di semiotica generale
Giorgio Agamben’s Stato di Eccezione

Marcos Donizetti’s Meias vermelhas e histórias inteiras
Daniel Galera’s Dentes guardados
Olivia Maia’s O nome das sombras
An anthology of chronicles by Gabriel García Marquez, as well as his Memorias de mis putas tristes

The tales of the continuing time series by keyes moran (the firts book has some pretty … ahem weird passages in it (those who read that know what i mean )

Anybody here read that ? it is leggally avaliable here : manybooks.net/series/146.html

A Tour of the Calculus
The Phantom of the Opera

I think that’s about it for now.

holy ■■■■, you read more than 2 books at the same time?! (or have you finished some before others) And yeah I’ve heard a lot about the movies, the academy awards it won, and how it’s known to be one of the best movies of all times - I’m gonna watch it with my family after tommorow. :happy:

About 165 into the Republic, and it’s pretty interesting. I read about 15 pages a day, just so I can comprehend most of it, rather than read 30, and miss a lot more of the ideas behind it.

I just started The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, because I found I needed some sort of pleasure read to fill up time, since I gave up videogames. I got it and about 10 travel books on European countries at the library for 10 dollars, so it was a steal.

island by aldous huxley i will just “say” it is great because
when i start to talk about it i cant stop…
and soon blue fat from vladimir sorokin

Guru Guru Pon-chan…which is more a graphic novel then a book…but also Comics and Sequential Art…it’s not a fiction novel but ^^;

Le petit Prince, good choice SD :wink:

I love Aldous Huxley i know it’s cliche, but you should read (if you haven’t already) Brave New World. or Point counter point.

If your interested in some of his experiences regarding psycadelic drugs, you should read his essays “The Doors of Perception”

I just finished reading Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions, which is an 1884 novella by Edwin A. Abbott. Despite being written in the 1800s, it’s an extremely easy read and really makes you think about perception. (well, it’s mostly suppose to be a satire of Victorian society, but the math alone is interesting.) I highly recommend this book to everyone, even people who don’t like math. Actually, you can read like half the book using the “view inside” feature at the Barns & Noble website.

I am also reading Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer , about an asteroid knocking the moon into a different orbit, which causes disasters on Earth.

And Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick, the inspiration for the Blade Runner movie.

i got that book for my friend as a gift, since his favorite book of all time is Brave New World, he’s been meaning to read The Island (i think he has also read Brave New World revisited)

me? i am reading Timequake (to be honest, i ALMOST wrote ‘TimeQuake’ but stopped myself notanaddict) by my man Kurt Vonnegut.

I have to say i think it’s my favorite Kurt Vonnegut book so far, except maybe Cat’s Cradle, because it seems to be the classic Vonnegut i know and love… “to the extreme” so to speak. Although there is a story, a lot of the book is just seemingly random ramblings and other stories about people he knew.

i bought The Dark Tower VII (even though i haven’t read the dark tower 1). It was on sale, hardcover, for 8 usd! imagine that!

speaking of cheap books, i also started reading a little book called The Areas of my Expertise my John Hodgman, who was (is? i dunno) a newspaper writer for the New York Times. He’s very funny, and has compiled a book of… random, false facts. For example, he has stats on all 51 united states. He also claims that Chicago doesn’t actually exist but people believe you can visit it when it rises out of Lake Michigan once every 100 years. only 4 usd! :razz:

I Just bought Neil Gaiman’s The Sandman 5: A Game of you, in hardback.

I’ve read all of his novels and short stories and watched all his films so I figured that I’d make a start on his comics, up to number 5 already, the man is a freaking genius.

Do you know any other books written by him?

James: if you’re into comics, all the Sandman series is a must.

If you like books, you should badly look for American Gods and Good Omens.

Always a thanks Bruno :wink:

Good omens… One of the best books ever.
I have stopped reading lately. I started reading “Pride and Prejudice” by Jane Austen (Misspelled, probably) in english, but I just can’t seem to concentrate on it.

I got Good Omens for Christmas, i will start reading it soon.