Philosophy!

Author  Message 
Schmut
King of Meow-Meows
Somniologist
LD count: 1

PostPosted: Fri 28 Dec, 2007  Reply with quote

kT4all wrote:
Then that would just get annoying, but life is annoying sometimes.

Absolutely true. There are certain things that you just have to accept and hope that by accepting the truth you'll be less annoyed.
I would love to know everything. In direct contradiction to that first statement, I would hate to know everything. Omnipotence requires that we know of all joy and elation but also of all pain and suffering. I assume that the sum of omnipotence is indifference, because I believe that equality must be maintained throughout creation. Matter must be counter-balanced by antimatter, love is countered with loathing, humanity is balanced by insanity. To know all would be to experience all of these things at once.

Armchair_Philosopher
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 3 (4 soon!)

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

Hi,
I was directed over here and told there would be some philosopy posts. As you may guess from my name I am quite interested in the subject. The topics that intestest me most at the moment is Libertarianism I have yet to do any serious reading on the subject but I like the idea of personal freedom that is expounded (is that the right word?) in this theory.
Favourite philosopers of mine include Mill, Scorates, Richard Dawkins (an evolutionary biologist by trade I know but I like the way he thinks) and Matt Stone & Trey Parker (creators of South Park one of the most philosophical t.v programme ever made!)

Hopefully there will be some intesting discussions to join in on in here.

Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity
LD count: 20

PostPosted: Thu 17 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

Armchair_Philosopher wrote:
Hi,
I was directed over here and told there would be some philosopy posts. As you may guess from my name I am quite interested in the subject. The topics that intestest me most at the moment is Libertarianism I have yet to do any serious reading on the subject but I like the idea of personal freedom that is expounded (is that the right word?) in this theory.
Favourite philosopers of mine include Mill, Scorates, Richard Dawkins (an evolutionary biologist by trade I know but I like the way he thinks) and Matt Stone & Trey Parker (creators of South Park one of the most philosophical t.v programme ever made!)

Socrates is one of my favorites as well. As for Matt Stone and Trey Parker, their show is absolutely brilliant now a days and always has a great message to give to society. They deserve more respect amongst the intellectual population. I'm in a hurry to leave but when I come back I'll post more philosophical ideas around here.

Hopefully there will be some intesting discussions to join in on in here.

Edit: Wow this post was messed up... eh

Last edited by Lizard King on Fri 25 Jan, 2008; edited 1 time in total
powerbeyond
Somniologist
Somniologist

PostPosted: Tue 22 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

I also have to put myself in the "thinks everyone else is stupid"
well not everyone, but there's ALOT of stupid people out there. :O
About the materialist stuff, I don't think we're raised into materialists, we're born this way, we're programmed this way since the beginning of men.

That's pretty much why we are where we are today, if people back then would've settled for what they had we would still be in stone age.
It' just the evolution of men, everything evolves around power and money, I'm not saying that's a good thing but that's why we are where we are today(that might not be a good thing either).

Sakoda
That's my name.
cookie lover
Scribes
LD count: '09 about 4
Location: Terhe is an icaseinrng duobt of the rtiealy of tihs rlieaty

south park philosophical ? you must be kidding ....

I think that we are neithere pure materialist , nor pure altruists per birth , but a mixture of the two . We are raised and one or the other character trade comes out , or is twisted ... , just my two cents :D

Armchair_Philosopher
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 3 (4 soon!)

Sadoka wrote:
south park philosophical ? you must be kidding ....

Nope I am totally serious just think about some of the issues its deals with (capitalism, reigion, abortion, liberalism, vegitarianism, existensialism, gay marridge to name just a few) . Alot of the shows revolve around some serious moral or ethical issuse. What usually comes out at the end is a very balanced look at the issuse they are focusing on. South Park uses extreme views to show people that is probably good to be tollerant. There is even an episode where Kyle questions where or not he or anything else exists.

If you need more convincing on this issue then read South Park and Philosophy edited by Robert Arp.

Draginvry
Living on Hado
Dream Deity

Actually there's lots of good philosophy in South Park. It's just that it usually ends with somebody farting.

Lizard King
Lone Wolf
Dream Deity
LD count: 20

PostPosted: Fri 25 Jan, 2008  Reply with quote

Not even so much philosophy in South Park, but really it's a "wake up you bunch of idiots" from the writers to the people.

South Park I would say has made it to being my favorite TV show. I agree completely with every episode's message that they send. They are brilliant brilliant writers, and are extremely under appreciated.

tetragrammaton
Astral Explorer
Astral Explorer

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote

i think i need to watch more south park

Sakoda
That's my name.
cookie lover
Scribes
LD count: '09 about 4
Location: Terhe is an icaseinrng duobt of the rtiealy of tihs rlieaty

PostPosted: Sun 10 Feb, 2008  Reply with quote