The BIG sleep paralysis and old hag topic Part IV

:yes: it’s SP

i once felt like a packed sausage :happy: i could move only a little bit and i had a dream of some kinda wars and generals… everything looked pink… is that a SP?

Usually in sleep paralysis, it is possible to move first the eyes, then the fingers and toes, before the paralysis wears off and we are able to fully move again. Could the pink come from partially open eyes? That used to happen to me quite a lot in my childhood and teens. It is also not uncommon to be aware of both the physical, paralysed body and a dream at the same time, and it can be used to start a lucid dream from. Were you waking up, or falling asleep when you had this experience? I get sleep paralysis quite easily if i wake myself up from a dream on purpose. :cool:

Moved from the Quest for Lucidty :ysim:
If the old hag and other terrifying hallucinations that go with sleep paralysis ever attack you- kill them. Don’t sit there and tremble like a little baby, KILL THEM. Close your eyes, imagine your favorite fight song in the background (mine is Stain of Mind by Slayer) and imagine yourself with a chainsaw, or any other weapon of your choice.

Tell the hallucinations that you’re not afraid of them. Yell at them with all of your rage (inside of your head of course) and just beat the living s*** out of them! Send that she-devil or whatever monster there is back to hell!

Once you break out of the SP with your clothes stained in blood and guts, get up from your bed, and talking out loud, threaten the hallucination that if were ever to come back again, you would take your rage to even further lengths.

(It’d even be better if you could go into an LD beating up the hallucination :content:)

How are you going to fight when you can’t move?

The whole event itself is just an hallucination- It’s all in your head.
The only way you can fight it is in your head. Just imagine yourself killing it- show no mercy. How dare it scare you like that!? Eventually, you might just slip into a dream, and hopefully you will see the old hag in your dream. Become lucid, and this time really fight it :grrr:

Why bother killing them? That seems so negative. I’ve only ever encountered the Old Hag once before, in the form of a shadow with glowing eyes who tried to strangle me. How did I defeat it? I just laughed. I laughed as hard as I could. I even tried shaking the shadow’s hand.

You see, Old Hag results from your mind’s fear during paralysis in the dark. Change that fear into happiness, and the attacking demon becomes something much more benign. In my case, the shadow degenerated and reformed into a Buddhist-looking monk, who then guided me into a lucid dream.

I find the state of SP fun. I honestly do. The voices, cries, knocks on the wall, and shaking are humorous :wink: However, some people can’t stay calm and laugh at the hallucinations. I probably could, but for now, it’s easier converting my fear of the hallucinations into anger. That’s why I suggest slaughtering these hallucinations :cool:

But, to each their own ways, I guess. :wink: I guess I could try making peace with the hallucinations…

Yes, that’s what I’ll do next time! :content:

I also would not kill the hallucinations, since that’s not my style. I would also prefer trying to change them into something positive.

And sleep paralysis shouldn’t be afraid at all, since it’s not real. Just a procedure of your body, and hallucinations made by your brain.

I’ve woken up to maybe 2 SPs but no any monsters have appeared, maybe because I havent even thought about them.

I think what you are doing by suggesting this is saying, believe you can overpower the hallucinations. By saying to kill them, and believing you can do this. You are saying you have enough belief in your physical strength to be able to best them in combat. This would mean you should have nothing to fear from them since you can beat them. If this belief stops you fearing them, it will most likely help to stop the hallucinations putting you in a state of fear. The only drawbacks I can see is, this method wouldn’t work for everyone, and a slight risk that you might get so fired up you can’t get to sleep fully and dream :wink: If it works for you, good luck :happy:

Well, I have been really interested in LDing for awhile but just recently got serious about it. I just read about an “old hag” experience and the reason I dont watch scary movies anymore is bc i dont want to see any old hags. So i was just wondering, does this usually only occur during a WILD? i mean, generally speaking, and can your eyes be open or are they closed when this happens? does this happen to a lot of people? sorry for all the noob questions.

Oh, and when I was like 8 years old I woke up in the middle of the night and i had a bunkbed so above me was some wooden boards to stabilize the mattress on the top bunk. The wood had like those darker wood swirls in it and i saw my dad’s face in one of them but really EVIL looking. I was so spooked but i kept on staring figuring it would fade away quickly but it didnt so i covered my face with a blanket, counted to 3, and looked again and it was still there. so then i was nearly frozen with fear and just managed to jump out of bed and run to my moms as fast as i could. what was that? was that like an old hag exp? i dont get how you can be awake and paralyzed though in an old hag exp. and why is it always something creepy? or is it ever something good?

Sp is just when your body is asleep while you are awake and with the ‘old hag’ thing, it’s not real so technically there’s nothing to worry about. Can’t hurt ya

SP in and of itself is rare for a WILD, and Old Hag is even rarer. When it does happen, there are two things you must realize in order to minimize the negativity of the experience. First, whatever it is that is attacking you is a hallucination. It is not real. It cannot hurt you.

The second, and most important thing to realize is that your fear of the Old Hag makes it worse. When you enter SP, your brain becomes scared, as it is dark and you cannot move your body. Your brain is still partially in dream-mode, leading to an increased susceptibility to hallucinations. Thus, your natural fear from not being able to move in the darkness is expressed as a scary hallucination of a monster. This is important: Your fear is what’s creating the Old Hag!

The best way to defeat and even avoid Old Hag is to, pardon the cliché, think happy thoughts. When you first see the Old Hag, laugh. Laugh long and heartily. Even though you’re not physically moving, your brain is still experience the release of seratonin from the laughter, lightening your mood, and changing the Old Hag into something less fearsome. The one time I had Old Hag, I tried laughing, and the ghostly shadow tormenting me transformed into a Zen monk, who lead me into a lucid dream.

This advice is good for when you experience Old Hag, but in all honesty your odds of experience it are less than one in a thousand. Good luck trying WILD! :happy:

thanks, that was really informative and i will definitely remember to do that. but is it really that rare? it seems like a lot of people have experienced it. but when you see it are your eyes still closeD? since youre paralyzed

Even in normal dreams, your eyes are still moving underneath the closed lids. They’re immune to the effects of SP, meaning you can still move them even when the rest of your body is paralyzed.

I dont know if it has anything to do with SP but:
Sometimes, when Im going to fall asleep, I have strange feeling like if the whole bed was moving, spinning or shaking, often all of this combined. Also, usually when I open my eyes during this, my eyeview is shaking…
My question is: WTF is that??? Its actually quite cool but I would like to know what it is…It actually isnt SP coz I can move, but maybe it has something to do with SP.

From my diary:
"1.I layed on my back, got relaxed and closed my eyes. I noticed how in the blackness some colourful spots appeared. Suddenly, it happened something like a electro-sock. Like current instantly went through my body. I heared also at that moment a “tick” sound. The strange is that i felt a little (very little) pain, like this that is caused by static electricity. That’s all though :neutral:

2.While i had closed my eyes and tried to go lucid through WILD, suddenly i had a strange feeling: like i was instantly above my body, and “fell” roughly again into it. Very strange.

I hadn’t any SP or hallucinations :tongue:"

Are these good signs?

At night it is impossible to exercise WILD. I am afraid the dark, i can’t do something about it yet :smile: But during the day, i think it is better because there is some light from outside.

I have some questions:

1.Does it matter to be some noise or sounds (e.g. the ticking of a clock) in the place where i practise WILD?

2.Is it very important to do a relaxation exercise. ''till now, i just stretch and unstrech my body.

3.The eyes must be closed, i quess. Then can i select where my lucid dream will take place at the beginning, so to don’t be to any place like a room (open areas i think are less frightening :tongue: )?

…thank for your time! :content:

Something else: I have experienced hallucinations with my eyes opened! I was sitting somewhere and i was very bored, i feel that i would sleep soon but i tried not to. Suddenlt it seems that i was to a semi-wake phase, and an object seemed like a face of a human. I wasn’t scared much, but this made me more aware and i wake up without to open my eyes (so indeed i had them opened)

It seem that it just doesn’t work for me… i lay onmy back, i close my eyes, i concetrate to the black and purple that i “see”, but nothing happens. Maybe WILD is not for me…

By the way, usually only black and purple i “see”. And some very faint yellow.

I will try a different approaching that is based on WILD.

I used to see the colored specks when I was younger. They would screw around with me every night for a few years. I had to sleep in my moms room because they scared the shit out of me. They would cover my body and my hands and they would make weird shapes. Sometimes something like an icecream cone and sometimes a lion or elephant.

I get this as well, I think. My heart rate suddenly increases, and I realise I am on the verge of sleep, and then wake up straight away! I’d always thought the heart rate increase was due to me getting excited at nearly being asleep, but I now realise it’s probably a signal of oncoming SP. Never actually had it myselfthough, not particularly looking forward to if/when I do!