In your dreams are you in third person or first person view?

Hey guys,

The topic title says it all, in your lucid dreams do you remember if you’re in third person or first person?

Another question: There are many dream checks to see if your dreaming or not like reading something, looking away and reading it again. But why not make it more simple like attempting to fly? I mean if you try to fly and you do, then your obviously dreaming. So why choose the reading texts or remembering things techniques when you can get right to it by trying something you would never be normally able to do?

Sometimes my dreams are in third person, and sometimes in first.
But, when I become lucid, my “Dream Camera” turns into first person.
But sometimes when I start to slip away from my LD, it switches into third person and my “Dream Camera” starts to float up.

And, people don’t try to fly because it is hard for people to fly in an LD.
Flying is something you have to think about a lot. But, when you look at your hands, they become distorted. For most people, it happens naturally.

When you are experiencing the dream, it is almost always in first person (unless u don’t want it to be)- But when you recall your dream, since it it all in your brain, you can ‘view’ it from different ‘camera angles’, the most common view your brain sets when recalling dreams is third person, and recalling your dreams in third person can be a sign of poor recall (Not poor poor but a bit poor since you can’t really remember how you experienced it).

You can try it yourself- The next time you’re having a LD, say out loud like “I am seeing everything in first person view” (but only if you are ofc, but u most likely are) and then when you wake up, you’ll see that you can recall it from third person.

wow, MovieMe, your reply explains so much! Because my dreams always switch from third to first person during the dream…

all my LDs have been in first person.
As for RCs … I have been trying to get myself to use levitation as a RC for some time now :happy: since i know I can easily levitate in dreams/LDs

All of my dreams are in first person but a few nights ago I had one in 3rd person :eh:
I was wandering, if you dream in 3rd person, would it be easier to have DILD’s?

I doubt you dream in third person, unless you are purposely doing so.

It is perfectly possible to dream regularly in third person without doing it on purpose. Some dreamers have to find ways to make it a first person dream once lucid in order to interact with the dream world better.

Or is the fact that they think they dream in third person reflecting their lucid dreams making them see everything in third person? Nah, no need to answer, this is all just a theory of mine with a very thin base of experience.

I usually dream in first person, but occasionally dream in third person, usually when the dream becomes less vivid, or if I’m playing video games, which for me always causes everything but the game to fade away. I know that I was actually dreaming in third person, and not just remembering it that way, because on at least one occasion I remember thinking about it in the dream.

Sometimes in my NDs I slip between 1st and 3rd person, since in my dreams I tend to have knowledge about other “characters” I wouldn’t normally have in real life, so often halfway through a dream I slip into another person’s “character.”

Often, even if I’m dreaming in purely 1st person with 1st person knowledge, I can hold two different perspectives simultaneously, so the world around me is in 1st person but I can see myself.

My lucid dreams are remarkably 1st person though, since I tend to lose this omnipresent viewpoint and my dream body… “solidifies,” if that’s a plausible word. I become much more aware of my surroundings, not just my straight-ahead vision but my sense of a ground below me and an ability to look around like IRL.

I also remember thinking “hey, 3rd person,” but it didn’t make me lucid :sad:
@Hunaynay: We have the same kin :content:

I am in first person in almost all of my dreams, but i can remember one dream where I was in third person

I’m usually in first person in my dreams, but sometimes I am in third person.

when i was young i would always dream in the third person, but now i dream mostly in first person

I very rarley have third person dreams. Is it possible to become lucid in third person?

First person 75%
Third person 25%

I play lots of videogames.

When I am myself I usually dream in 1th person, but when I am, or control, someone else it often is in 3th or 2th person.

I was discussing with a friend just now how almost all of my dreams are in third person. He said his were mostly first. So I wanted to see if he or myself was in the majority…and to my surprise I find I am in a small minority. I remember my dreams almost every night, vividly, to where if i describe them i can take up to an hour to explain the happenings. If I do dream in first person, i know i am dreaming and can continue sleeping if i want to see what happens. I am sometimes myself, sometimes a dude (i am female btw), but if I am not myself i am ALWAYS the same guy. I was joking with my friend that maybe it was me from a past life or something. anyway, i googled dreaming in third person and found this forum. I wanted to ask if anyone had any advice on my dreaming. should i try to control my dreams more? i wonder if it would be something i could do easily, since i am very aware of my own actions if i am first person. any advice would help. I am sorry about my inaccurate punctuation and such, when i get to typing i get slopppy

Welcome to LD4all, kristina :content: . To answer your question, getting lucid (gaining control and realizing that you’re dreaming) is pretty awesome. Some people rate their first lucid dream as one of the best experiences of their lives :grin: . As for how easy it is, it varies from person to person, but if you’re fairly aware in your normal dreams, then you’ve already got a good start.

Back on topic, I always dream in first person when I’m lucid, but my NDs go back and forth between the perspectives (it seems like the less aware that I am, the more likely it is that I’m dreaming in 3rd person).