What Book Are You Reading? -- Part V

I’m re-reading ‘His Dark Materials’ By Philip Pullman

I finished ‘Northern Lights’ on Saturday and immediately picked up ‘The Subtle Knife’. You forget just how cleverly they’re linked together and on how many levels you can read them. Very clever stuff.

Trouble is that being of the grown-up persuasion, family all inclusive, I don’t have a lot of ‘spare’ time in which to just sit and read. :sad: I used to love to just sit in the garden with a bottle of pop and read a book till I’d finished it. :cry: Those were the days.

I’m working on George R. R. Martin’s “A Game of Thrones.”

I may reread His Dark Materials at some point this summer, too, as that seems to be a common summer pastime.

Trying out a new writer, so I’m reading “Ubik” by Philip K. D ick at the moment.

i recently read cortex, which is about 2 brothers that make this chip-like device to improve their psychic powers, and they get chased and keep using their psychic powers to survive :yes:

30000th post in the lounge XD

damnit, i should have made one more post earlier XD
would have been fun, at least, i think it would have been… 30.000 in the forum with 700 posts for me… no correlation between the numbers…

Ah, I’ve read his Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? I liked it but I can’t vouch for his other books.

Currently reading Endymion by Dan Simmons, 3rd book in a series, and In the Blink of an Eye by Andrew Parker, a very science-y book about the cause of the Cambrian Explosion.

I don’t have a whole lot of time read during the semester, but I read The Moral Animal: The New Science of Evolutionary Psychology by Robert Wright. If you’re into evolutionary biology or are curious about human nature, I highly recommend it. You have to be willing to dive into non-fiction, though. The ideas are interesting, the writing is relatively, well, non-fictiony.

What is the What by Dave Eggers is the last fiction book I read, and it’s based on actual events. It’s a great book, but if you decide to read it, be warned, you WILL cry on a couple of occasions. I had to put it down for a week or so at one point.

The Hitchhiker’s “trilogy” is brilliant. The first three are great stories that are absolutely hilarious. After that, the story qualities really drop off, but they remain very funny. Adams overstates the little things and understates the really big things. Remember, if you want to fly, just aim yourself at the ground and miss.

after consistant nagging from my friend, i picked up Illusions by Robert Bach.

Really cool book :smile: Can’t put it down.

Reading trudi canavans The Black Magician Trilogy … (screams of “NERD” in the backround :tongue:)

Small Favour by Jim Butcher - book 10 in a fantastic series :grin: - The Dresden Files. I would definately recommend reading them in order, though.

i’m reading The Kite Runner for my english class. at first i didn’t really read it and i was just bull-shitting my way through the quizzes on the book, but i’ve actually started reading it and it’s quite captivating.

:woo: Those books rule.
Not come around to read the third one yet though but I really enjoyed parts 1 and 2 :content:

Reading something called “Book of time” by Guillaume Prévost.It´s mediocre shrugs

I am currently at book three , its not as good as Wheel of time , but really nice , the characters are nicly made - what annoys at times or( to use a less sharp word:) dissapoints , is how “jumpy” the plot gets in sertain sections.

I’ve never actually read that particular book, but I heard it’s quite good.

I’m reading As I Lay Dying (for English… :tongue: )and I love it - I’m such a big fan of stream of consciousness books (including the fabulous Only Revolutions)

I have a small paperback titled
Daily Readings with C.S. Lewis
I felt like getting a bit of inspiration :content:

it is just extracts from his books

I’m reading The Chronicles Of Narnia by C.S. Lewis

Currently reading “Travels” by Michael Crichton. It’s an autobiography by him, it’s really good. Also working on “K is for Killer” by some random woman. It’s mindless reading, fluff really. Although I do want to see who murdered that woman…

I love mindless fluff! :yay:

I’ve never read her book personally, but I do know that the Alphabet murder mystery series is written by Sue Grafton.

Currently Reading: Lost in a Good Book, by Jasper Fforde.

I have seen these books in the bookstore but had never bought them thinking that I might not like them but when I saw this post and realised Sakoda liked the books, I decided to try them, I bought the first one, one day and then the second one the day after, it only took me 2-3 days to read the first one so now I’m reading

“The Novice” in The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudu Canava

“Late in November”/“Moominvalley in November” by Tove Jansson.

Final book in the Moomin series.

well now i have finished with the 3rd book in the maximum ride series, they are really very good.Unfortunately, i have nothing to read for OAT week! i hate pageturners, especially because most of them are short, and i can read 1 ENTIRE DAY and not get tired of it.