Keep your eyes open!

your eyes would eventually close right? if u slept with your eyes open your eyes can dry out and that is not good for your health.

If you are keeping your eyes open, don’t you cry then?

It failed me, and I didn’t do well in P.E./Gym today. I even kept them open for 90 minutes!(after which the shortest REM begins(according to wikipedia, but it is unreliable…))

I’m not doing this again >.<

I thought you can’t fall asleep if you keep your eyes open the whole time. Please explain :eh:

P.S. I haven’t slept since 9:00am yesterday, now it’s 2:30pm. And I’m staying up all night again tonight. Basically i was going to ask, what would sleep deprivation do to me?

you can fall asleep with your eyes open, but not in the sense your thinking. youll eventually just close them without knowing it after a while. And sleep isnt the case here - it’s a clear head and a blank mind. more meditation than sleep.

oh, ok. Now i get it. :smile:

The reason to open your eyes is that it raises brainwaves closer to beta and alpha than alpha/theta or asleep in deep theta/delta.

For light sleepers, what I notice is that every time I roll over, if I am not lucid and have not been dreaming, if I open my eyes and sit up on the bed for a few minutes, then go lie back down, it helps greatly.

the only point is to keep brainwaves and therefore consciousness much more alert and vigilant.

can you explain what this post means, and what it has to do with PE and gym?

do not follow someone else’s advice at the expense of over-riding your own intuition

I didn’t get as much sleep. I don’t know how long to keep them open. It probably didn’t affect p.e., but I’m not taking that chance again.

In this podcast, the woman speaking says the exact same method as this

stevepavlina.com/podcasts/Pa … eaming.mp3

about 3/4 way through.

Interesting. I’m a light sleeper and I have a weird feeling this might really work for me. I’ll try it tonight.

EDIT: … I’ll also try the keep-eyes-open thing. :wink:

Can you think of other things while doing this, or do you just stare blankly at your room?

I tried to fall asleep with my eyes open yesterday. It was really interesting, although I wasn’t able to enter a dream.

At one point, when my eyelids felt really heavy, when I opened them I was almost sure I was already in a dream. I got that “feeling” you get wheh looking at HI, like if it were my mind that was seeing, not my eyes. But I was wrong, I was still awake… :sad: I’ll try again, though, I just might have to hang in there a bit longer…

From what I got, you are not supposed to fall asleep with your eyes open. Just keep them open, and when your eyelids feel really heavy, sit up and meditate for a while- Then fall back to bed, and return to lying with your eyes open, and when your eyelids once again starts feeling heavy, do the same thing again.
This, as far as I could tell, is supposed to cause a REM rebound (dunno what it means though).

[color=violet]Om[/color]

mmm, yes! This would definitely cause a REM rebound.

the thing is you can do this 5-6 times without having REM, so it might not be needed to get up and meditate each time the eyes feel really heavy, although, this would be very good for helping you reach deep meditation.

Off Topic (sort of):
[color=white]
that woman’s podcast was somewhat useful,
i would simply speak without rehearsing, and without trying to sound happy and hold patterns in my voice, i don’t like how people market themselves in that manner… all businessn-y
“How ya doin Steve!?”
“Fantastic!”

but you know, its a great exercise at playing pretend, and we become what we pretend to be.[/color]
What she says about carrying consciousness into sleep is true, I suppose if one refuses to roll over and keeps the eyes open, and then gets up to meditate when they feel so inclined, it would help tremendously.
[color=violet]Om[/color]

So it seems like I got this :wink: What I don’t got is the meaning of REM-Rebound xD

if you deprive yourself of REM sleep you will have a surplus of it come in suddenly,

giving you a lot of dreaming.

the same is true of NREM, it also has a re-bound

people that have the misfortune of enjoying being drunk will understand this, their sleep is of a strange quality and eventually they have bizarre vivid dreams, but it isn’t worth it, being drunk is never worth, the poison and pain it brings the body and mind, and other people

it is a terrible poison unleashed upon our planet, that we are better off without.
lest one knows how to be responsible and not incur any physical health problems, though it is still a neuro-poison

But how does keeping your eyes open give you a REM-Rebound? :confused:

welllllllllllllllll

it depends, if you are very good at being a light sleeper you don’t go into REM, at all, and if you get up when you are about to go into REM and meditate, you will have a REM rebound

Yes ofcourse, but I still have my other sleep stages b4 my REM-Sleep, so this eye thingy alone would not really cause a REM-Rebound now, would it?

yes it would

you would not get any REM at all, the way you normally would, now would you ?

perhaps you are more qualified to answer your questions than I am ! :smile: