Harry Potter Discussion [warning: spoilers]

I couldn’t care less if Dumbledore is gay, its just that JK Rowling timed that on purpose, to get people mad, maybe so the movies fail.

And what is Duex ex Machina

Whoa, Dumbledore is gay? Did I miss something?

Or maybe it’s just been too long since I’ve read Deathly Hallows.

JK said that she thought of Dumbledore in a homosexual way at a book reading in the states.

Not going to lie, I thought her declaration of Dumbledore was pretty funny. Unsuspected and completely out of left field. There wasn’t much point in it I thought. I mean, if she was going to do it, she should’ve included into the books as well. Slow on replying to this topic, but there’s my thoughts on it, hahaha.

I think it was brave of her to announce dumbledore was gay :wink: … after she made her sales and leaving the people making the movies in the crossfire.

Why is it leaving the people involved in the movies in the crossfire? You keep saying that, but I don’t really get what you mean.

Ugh, the last movie by them was terrible anyways.

all the movies are terrible. Book > to > film usually are.

Dumbledore being gay isn’t exactly a surprise anyway, it makes the whole Grindelwald thing make a lot more sense.

There is a set of movies.

Now here is my explaniation

JK Rowling announces Dumbledore is gay. now there is plenty of people ready to boycott the books and everything (trust me there are a lot of people who are mad considering it is pretty much a children’s book) But whats this!!! She is done writing books so she has all the money she wants because she gets paid before the movie series was made anyway. Now, a high percentage of people who go to movies are children. Now a lot of those children won’t be going, so now the the movies will do horribal and they probaly won’t find it is worth it to continue making movies.

All I was saying was I thought that was cowardly to announce Dumbledore was gay after she has made all the money she wants.

Chuck, I don’t know how it is where you live, it sure seems different from down here in Brazil… but my thoughts were quite the opposite: that she raised the new polemics just so as to rise her book sales! :tongue: And, indeed, most of what I heard all around was people either giving her huzzahs or otherwise compelled to buy the last book.

I didn’t see anyone mad, or wanting to boycott her, I seriously didn’t. :eh: In fact, when I first read your messages, I didn’t understand you were talking about other people, and thought you were the one acting homophobic — and one person being homophobic was already one too much in my head, I didn’t think there still were places in the West with lynching homophobic mobs… I mean, that sounds so 60 years ago.

1 out of 30 kids are prevented by there parents from reading the books or watching the movies as it is where I live. I can only imagine what it is like now. And all I was saying was that I think it is cowardly to announce Dumbledore is gay after she has made all the money

But d’you think she had designed him to be gay from the beginning? The books clearly state otherwise; Jo Rowling, the queen of hints and nuances, never gave a single pointer to that. It was a marketing strategy, or a misunderstood piece of British humour, or something— but not really something that had been true to her all along, definitely not.

I think she had it in her head for a while.
There was a TV special on her and her books.
If you have seen the amount of research that won’t even make it into the books that she has, wow. She has a book with everybody in Harry’s year and what subject they like, blood line, parents job, everything. I think it wasn’t a spur of the moment thing when she announced that she had always thought of Dumbledore as gay.

Her quote leads the reader to believe that she has had it in her head for a while.

I merged “Harry Potter fans?” to existing Harry Potter topic /Magnus
OK, me and padfootandprongs can’t be the only fans of Harry Potter in this huge community. What’s your favorite book, characters, etc? While a fan, do you have any criticisms? This thread is for the future classic books, not for the pathetic movie rip-offs. :wallhit:

Oh, and my favorite characters are Sirius, Harry, Hermione, Lupin, Draco, Fred+George, Tonks, and Snape.

Of corse not!! :happy:

The last book is the best for me. It’s great in itself but it also wraps up everything perfectly.

Characters… hm. Sir Cadogan is great!! Maybe the funniest one in the book! :tongue: (ok, maybe there are others…) I don’t know, I can’t chose, there all great… :shy:

I don’t think I have any criticism… As I said, I loved the ending. For the last book, on a 1 to 10 scale I was expecting for a 10. I was expecting also to be surprised by a 11 or 12. But when I read it… I’d say it was like… 287! :content:

Anyway,

Thats great to haer. I just feel so sad/mad when people say
“I hate Harry Potter.”
“Did you read the books?”
“No, I just saw the movies…”
:bored:

I sorta read the first four books and I didn’t really care for them. But I did like the Harry Potter movies.

Hey, I’m an HP fan! Sorry I haven’t fully expressed my HP lurve in the forums. :shy:

Favorite Book: Probably the 5th or 6th one. The 5th was such a delicious “secret school rebellion” story that each new report on the bureaucratic battles inside the school added to my profound love of the book. The 6th was just so detailed in regards to the world of Hogwarts (and our little Main Characters growing up, awwwww…) that I enjoyed it despite my relatively advanced age at the time compared to my mindset when I read the other books.

Favorite Movie: Third. Hands down. An elegant movie adaptation of a book, not a movie trying to be a book — that always feels kind of awkward. :neutral:

Favorite Character: Hermione (for the first couple of books). Weirdly enough, Harry started to become my favorite character for the later books. Not entirely sure why. (Don’t feel like putting down a full speculation right now!) But I love Tonks, although I wish she was in the books as a far more central character. And Luna (in the books and in the movie)!

Critique:
The Good

• Characters that aged and grew - metaphysically as well as physically.
  • A narrative that also grew and grew and grew until it gained hundreds of pages (which now qualifies the acceptance of equally large books in the Young Adult publishing community - yay!). An entire universe of characters, all major and minor, were created.
  • The universal nature of the books’ appeal.
  • A unique spin on wizards that guarantee that another book on wizards with boring clichés will not be published for a loooong time (another yay! But original series that defy clichés are just fine by me, 'kay?)
  • The Point of View. The books just couldn’t have been conveyed in any other way.
  • Snape. Guy gets the best plot twists ever in the 6th and 7th books. In the end, he was quite touching.

The Bad

• I wanted Hermione in the epilogue, in the flesh, as an independent butt-kicking witch. I know, I’m picky…and she couldn’t satisfy everyone. sigh
  • The last book, while good, was not a stand-out in my mind. Still high-quality, though.
  • The “monster of the year” scenario (how will Voldy magically reappear this year? Who will be the c-c-craaaazy DADA teacher this year?) that started to play out in the books before it was finally resolved once and for all with the 5th book/end of the 4th. Luckily, as the plots got more complex, this issue rapidly faded. (The monsters are all around you, and they don’t even know it…Umbridge, that sort of thing)
  • OK, I’m no shipper, but I never saw the Ginny thing coming. It’s not really bad, it’s just mildly confusing to me. Not really even JKR’s fault.

The Ugly / Really Really Bad

• I really can’t think of anything too bad. Even the stuff above (in the “bad” list) is mostly my personal opinion, and stuff that JKR really couldn’t change without also making others unhappy with the book. (With various exceptions)
  • Certain elements of the community got kind of obsessed in a very ugly way. The kind that starts…

shippahwarz. :anx:

Thanks for the fun post, guys! :grin:

Even though it gets a lot of flack, and rightly so for the exclusion of explaining the Mauraders, I agree. The first 3 films WERE the best, after that, even with the few aspects that could have been improved on with SS, CoS, and PoA, they far surpass the more recent additions. It’s one thing to cut irrelevant parts of the books for time(despite the fact that the films can be longer), it’s another thing altogether when major, important things are scratched and replaced with a scene of a whole plot that never happened.

OMG I SOOO LOVE HARRY POTTER !!! I think my favoret charecters are the twins, tonks, harry, hermione, ginny, ron, luna, and nevil.

also I thought the seventh book was really sad, I cried and just thought about it for days.

If anybody likes HP fanfiction, FictionAlley is the best.

fictionalley.org/