First Steps to WILD part IV (Basic WILD Q&A)

Yeah, you seem to be on the right track. If you saw a bunch of swirling colors or fully formed images, particularly the latter, you are very close. You just need to keep from moving, and you should eventually drift away from feeling your own body and be teleported into a dream.

I need a quick answer, I didn’t see any colors just kind of faint movement and my fan got REALLY fast and I heard a big noise and I got all tingly but I didn’t know what to do

Just wait. It was probably a hallucination, which means you are very close to entering the REM state. So… You just need to acknowledge them, but just keep still and relax.
For me, anyone had the heat problem other than Kristopher?

it looks like you were getting some sort of HH. i dont see any colors when i try to WILD, but my body gets tingly, i hear lots of sounds, sometimes conversations even. its all perfectly normal and nothing to be afraid of.

the more you practice, the more you will get used to the sensations and the easier it will be to just ignore them and go with them. let the tingly become vibrations or jolts, or whatever you may get, and keep with it, you will eventually achieve SP.

the key is…dont let yourself get startled or afraid or excited or really anything. just passively observe and try not to get to involved. let the process do as the process does

i find that i get really warm while doing WILD. i just turn on my fan before i even go to sleep at the beginning of the night so i am used to it by the time i wake up for WBTB. i am also cooler when i wake up, and i find that WILD does not make me as warm as normal.

Yeah, I think the heat just kind of dissipates after a while, and I have gotten used to it over a week now. Last night, I got the the whole heart pounding, everything is really loud, but I couldn’t get past that. I could hear the volume of the fan increasing and my heart rate going up, and I just kept breathing steadily, and I must have heard an increase in volume 20 times in about 5 minutes before I realized that that was going nowhere. Should I just keep at it until something happens, or does the ambient volume need to go up until my head explodes or something to that effect before I enter REM? I hope I’m getting closer.

Hey people mind if you give me any advice on my lat nights attempt At WILD

Went to bed at 2:44 am
Laid down on bed head to pillow and arms under head (felt ok)
After about 45 mins my legs were numb /hands and arms, was a little tingly at the point when suddenly my right leg kicked out and settled again, I didnt respond to the sudden movement , and went on for another 15 mins, this is were I realised the hands under head was bad… just pain up my arms lol.

So I gave in at this point checked the clock and it was exactly 3:44 I was attonished.(At the fact that i was at it for an hour and that it was exactly an hour passed (disregarding seconds:P))
I decided to have another whack at it but didnt check the clock from further onwards.
This time same thing jsut with arms lapped over stomach, went numb very fast at this point and felt a weird sensation of pressure just above my right eyebrow (not third eye direct) .

I was tired at this point and after at least 30 mins when I closed my eyes (sorta opened and closed them through out to see what wud happen) again I started seeing these words in a vortexual swirl. so I concentrated on them saying to my self that I would LD and other stuff that is motivational to me:p.
These swirls didnt lead any were but i did feel like my head was shaking side to side but like only by a cm or so(This shaking of the head happened 5 times throughout the night at short bursts)

Suring both tries I knew I was not in SP. Also i did feel hot during some parts of these attempts.

I gave up sometime after the swirls died off and layed on my side trying it that way (the way i usually sleep i thought , might offer results) by this time it was getting daylightish and I drifted off to sleep

No dream recall.

Woke up at 2:44pm to my mother phoning me ( Was such an interesting call -.-)
went back to sleep and lapsed into a dream, I started seeing old teachers of past in my secondary school education and they were talkign about a reunion. I knew I was dreaming because I knew I was just in sheffield. I was talking to them and having a laugh and thats all I can remember.

So umm any help or advise to stick this to the floor and get it right before i try tonight would be nice

Ty all

Jacobite

Does anyone know what to do if you get a really bad urge to itch during a WILD like I did last night? Also, is it normal to get twitchy eyelids - and were they even actually twitching?!

jsf

Jacobite, if I have understood correctly, your WILD attempt at evening led to nothing whereas your attempt at 2:44 PM was more than fructuous?

If it indeed was, I think that you have quite understood that practicing WILD at evening is totally pointless given that one must wait for more than one hour to get to REM sleep.

So my advice would be : do not practice WILD at evening. I cannot be clearer ^^

jsf, were you practicing WILD at evening?

Quick question: Do you keep doing your counting exercise during all the HI/SP?

Yep, that was probably what I was doing wrong! Oddly it did feel like I was getting somewhere for a bit - at any rate it didn’t feel like anything I’d experienced before.

Thanks for hint.

Hi all,
I’ve been interested in LDs for a while now and have recently been trying to learn the WILD technique. I can remember having LDs in the past (although not recently) and would love to be able to induce them at will. However I would like to get some advice before going any further. Firstly a question: can an LD be induced using WILD right from when I go to bed at night, or do I have to wake up during the night and do it then in order to enter REM?

Now I’d like to share my experiences thus far - last night being a perfect example. I laid down and after a while began to feel my body going numb and tingly and could no longer feel my bed and sheets. I’m not sure if I entered SP or not as I was still able to move somewhat (albeit slugishly and with much concentration). A short time later I started to experience HI. For me it was swirling, pulsating colours and lines, and sometimes a bright ambient light covering my vision. At times it would also feel as if I was falling into my bed or as if my body was flattening itself out and my vision and feeling of gravity would sort of pulsate. I also saw a few partly formed images at times, although only VERY faintly. I tried ‘swimming’ towards them but they just seemed to get further and further away until finally they disappeared. This process repeated itself quite a number of times, but I was never able to get any further and kept ‘waking up’ (although I was never actually asleep) and losing the HI. Are there any tips to prevent this ‘waking up,’ and also what is the best way to progress past the HI?

Eventually I gave up for the night and decided to just go to sleep normally. Oddly, for the rest of the night I had a number of unusually vivid dreams and would wake immediately after each one. This happened about 4 times and each time I could recall the dream in complete detail. Are these the times when I should try practicing WILD?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

It’s advised to practice WILD after at least 4.5/6 hours of sleep. The reason for that being we have longer periods of REM-sleep in the morning.

You were not in sleep paralyses since you could move. Where in sleep paralysis, one cannot move at all.

You could combine WBTB with WILD for the same reason I stated above.

After 4.5/6 hours of sleep, nREM-sleep is nonexistant - REM-sleep is on the other hand abundant. So, you want to practice WILD at these times.

When I try to perform a WILD, I see patches of blue swirling around. Is this my HI or just something else?

You need to be able to flow passively without becoming too focused on the HI or SP otherwise you’ll either react to what you are feeling. Continuing you technique should help you do this.

It seems there are two forms of HI, swirling colours and very vivid images. What you describe certainly sounds like one kind of HI. I usually get the swirling colours before the vivid images. I believe it is showing you are on the way to WILDing. :thumbs:

Is it normal to have this about 15 sec into it?

How long it takes depends very much on how tired you are. By the sounds of it you were very tired to get it that quick. :tongue: It is possible, I don’t know about normal though.

I get really really bored and give up because I am too tired anyway to stop this?

its only HI if you are falling asleep and in the hypnagogic state, otherwise its just -I

imagery.

colours and abstract images that are fluid and ever changing could be said to be the energy, geometry, or framework OF dreams, however unless one sees vivid realities they are not useful for entering what we think of as a conventional dream

though the entire screen of images upon the eyelids can become 3 dimensional for us to “step out” and into this sea of flickering objects and colours… this is more like astral projection, and focus here upon specific areas of the body such as the brow point, crown point, throat or heart center will be more useful

whereas if you were to doze off and see a building appear, this is just a normal average dream you can be lucid in, colors are quite a bit different.

hmmm I keep falling asleep! Can’t seem to keep my mind awake by just counting. I’ll try again tomorrow morning…

Anyway it’s a fun tech to try, and at least you feel like you’re doing something!

If you aren’t already you can try WILD in conjunction with WBTB it will help decrease the time it takes you to enter the dream and seems to make it easier for most people to WILD. It seems to improve your chances when it’s combined with any technique.

The basic idea of WILD is to transition from waking to sleeping without losing awareness. You don’t have to use counting, it is only one technique to keep you aware. You could also try visualisation, or FILD to name just two alternatives. :smile: