Studio Ghibli

Ah! I haven’t seen that one yet! God, I’ve heard that its really really depressing…that’s the only reason they brought out Totoro, to cheer up people who’ve watched the Grave of the Fireflies!! laughs

The only one I’ve seen was Spirited Away
…I feel left out :sad:

Aw… well they aren’t that expensive I’ve found…

But tell me, you did like spirited away didn’t you?!

lol. Yeah :content:

I’ll try and find the other movies on the interweb.

That’s the one. :smile:

Nobody has mentioned Porco Rosso.

I love Studio Ghibli. My favourites are probably Nausicaa, Spirited Away, and Howl’s Moving Castle. I also love My Neighbour Totoro. The music in the films is brilliant, even the 80s synth trouble music in Nausicaa. The scene in Spirited Away, with the train travelling across the flooded landscape, is perfect.

Yes, yes it is! God I want to see that again. I haven’t seen it in probably a year.

Howl’s Moving Castle?

Is there a Studio Ghibli set one can buy? Like all the movies?

Ah! I love Porco Rosso! It took me a second time to really appreciate it though. I thought it was wonderful, it’s less of a fairy tale and more…well, I know he’s a pig and all but…it’s so: REAL… If that makes sense…

And Lizard King; Howl’s Moving Castle is SPECTACULAR!

I’m not sure if you can buy a box set, but you can get them so cheap from Amazon.

Porco Rosso really makes that kind of lifestyle seem so appealing and romantic. I quite fancy the idea of being a pilot in the Adriatic.

Oohh. I just love the fact that it’s so REAL…everything he does is what would happen in the ‘real’ world.
No extraordinary heroics, just ‘truth’.
It’s not disney in the slightest! :content:

I just watched Porco Rosso yesterday. Again another wonderful film by studio ghibli. I share the same opinion as tundra. In all films you can really reconstruct the way how the reality works in each fantasy story. Of course the conditions of each film are unrealistic, but I just mean you can really feel the reality in the films, like if you would live there then that’s how things would actually work out. That’s what I really love about studio ghibli, they put so much thought in their work. Agh i love em. You can’t compare it to other anime, it’s almost its own genre. ^^

laughs It is isn’t it!?!!

One of the parts that just shows the ‘truth’ was the first scene, when they call him to rescue the group of girls (Aww! I love them!), a typical Disney Hero would rush of straight away, but nope, not Porco: He’s got to do all the proper checks beforehand…

I love Hayaou Miyazaki’s films…and I love joe Hisaishi’s music as well…

My favourite Hayao Miyazaki’s animes are (in the right order): Howl’s moving castle, Spirited away, My neighbour Totoro, Kiki’s delivery service (I’ve the poster in my bedroom :happy: ), Princess Mononoke, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and Castle in the Sky. I’ve not seen Porco Rosso. :sad:

Concerning other Studio Ghibli animes, Grave of the Fireflies was beautiful too. I cried a lot at the end. :crying:

Sounds like there will be soon another Hayao Miyazaki’s anime: Ponyo on the Cliff! :boogie: It will be released in July in Japan.

I am SO excited about that! I can’t wait until it’s released over here…
I’m sure it will be amazing…the guy is a genius in my opinion.

Hehe! My dad’s favourite is kiki, and I love Jiji, he’s brilliant! (As you can tell… :wink: )

I was thinking the other day, how stunning would it be to watch a film like Spirited Away in a movie theatre…

:O!!! I love Studio Ghibli (btw isn’t “Ghibli” such a cute word??? XD lol)!!! so far i’ve seen spirited away, howl’s moving castle, castles in the sky, and half of mononoke-hime. I love all of his movies but my favourite will always be spirited away!
btw, does anyone here watch anime in general? in fact do we have an anime topic in these forums?

Yep…but it seems to have died.

To be honest with you, the only anime I’ve ever seen have been the Studio Ghibli ones…but one of my friends is pressuring me to watch more…grins I’m not complaining! :rofl:

Yes ! Ponyo was great !

And grave of the fireflies…i watched it again 2 weeks ago…and cried so much… :cry: :cry: :cry:

I have to admit I don’t really understand what it is so many people love about japanise anime type cartoons etc. (please don’t shoot me!! :shy: Just because I don’t personally understand doesn’t mean I don’t respect it! :happy: I guess it’s just not for me :smile: )

Waits for the flying tomatoes to stop Anyway, I googled this studio and saw it was this kind of japanese animation (yes, yes, it’s a bit of a prejudice I know! :cry: ) and my face went :neutral:

BUT

I decided to click on the film list and guess what, the one japanese cartoon that I REALLY thought was fantastic appeared at the end and made my face go :woo: (it’s Spirited Away, btw :tongue: )

So, conclusion to this post? I uh… I don’t know. :peek: I loved Spirited Away, though :mrgreen_hat:

It’s a storytelling medium, that’s all. Although, I guess when so many people are using it, that means a lot of stories are being told with it, and not all of those stories are necessarily fresh or thoughtful or fun. Most will just be ripping off one another, or becoming lazy with the medium-- sloppy, at best safe, never aiming for either perfect or revolutionary. (Whoa, did that one flying tomato literally fly, like with wings? does RC)

Yeah… Studio Ghilbi is not one of those. fangirls My top three favorites in order are Grave of the Fireflies (but I don’t watch the it anymore unless I’m feeling very very masochistic, it’s beautiful but totally heartwrenching,) Princess Mononoke (whose environmental message is to James Cameron’s Avatar as a war veteran is to the pretentious doo-doo head who wears fatigues to Neighborhood Watch meetings,) and Spirited Away.

Honorable mention-- Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea. Turns the Little Mermaid upside-down with just two lines:
“But if the boy doesn’t truly love her, Ponyo will turn into sea foam!”
“That’s where we all came from, dear.”