Pain in LDs

Author  Message 
Kirbypowered
Within, but without
Astral Explorer
LD count: 4

Pain in LDs
PostPosted: Tue 27 May, 2008  Reply with quote

I was wondering if you got hurt or cut in a LD if you would feel the pain or have a cut when you woke up. Please reply if you know!

Current LD goal(s): Record dreams regularly..
Osarksis
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 1

It's not your real body inside the dream, so although you can feel intense pain in a LD you don't actually get any RL physical harm from it. tounge2

jsf
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: 26

I'd never realised you could feel physical pain in dreams - maybe I'm just lukcy that its never happened to me! Saying that though, it does seem to make sense since I could definitely feel my hands when I tried rubbing them.

Phi
Rank
Somniologist

PostPosted: Wed 28 May, 2008  Reply with quote

I've felt pain in an LD. It was pretty dull compared to what it would have been irl though, thankfully XP

colette
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

PostPosted: Thu 29 May, 2008  Reply with quote

I feel pain and if its extreme enough I can feel it a little bit in real life. Last night I made my lucid dream turn to an adventure dream and we had to escape a tunnel, my back got struck from a boulder and when I woke up my back was sore and it still is.

underscore
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 21-ish!

Interesting question. I've felt pain before in my NDs, but I can't recall ever feeling pain in a lucid before. I find that in my dreams, I don't really feel anything that I'm anticipating, like a fall or inevitable blow to the face. Of course, I've been shot a few times too, and that was... well, not fun.

Namine
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate
LD count: More to come!

Good Question

I havn't really had a real LD yet, but I have felt pain maybe a few times in my ND's. Sorry I didn't really answer your techincal question. When I have a LD, I'll tell you if I feel anything. eek2

Blessedspirit
Lucid Initiate
Lucid Initiate

I think somones been watching to many matrix movies, how can you POSSIBLY believe or have the slightest thought that you could get a real injury from a dream? its madness.

Deimos Braun
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer
LD count: 3

I don't normally feel much in my LDs - just my hands. In my last LD, someone did touch me lightly on the hand, though - and I definitely felt it, even when I woke up. There was a lot of emotion in the touch, weirdly enough.

alehar

PostPosted: Thu 12 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

I've had pain in ND's before, but it was much duller than I would expect in WL.

(I was having my legs sawed off by cannibals... I suspect the pain was from my dog walking on my legs...)

Mr. Happy
Somniologist
Somniologist
LD count: 2008--4 LDs

I have yet to experience pain of any sort in a LD. However, I too have experienced pain in a ND. One time in a dream I was stabbed in my shoulder, the pain was so extreme it woke me up where I thankfully found myself ok.

Predaliendog
The True Reaper
Novice dreamer
LD count: 17 so far

One time in a dream i got hit in the back with a sledgehammer, it woke me up..
My back felt like it got hit by a sledgehammer all of the next day..

The Kroc
Novice dreamer
Novice dreamer

One thing I've always wondered is...can sleep paralysis "stop working" in the middle of a LD? So that for example, if in a LD you, just to try it out, knock your head against the wall really hard, can you real body do it to, and so you wake up with a semi-smashed head? XD
Because I guess that's a bit what happens to sleepwalkers, right, that their sleep paralysis fails them, so they do what they're doing in their dreams? Could that happen when you LD? Scary though.

krakatoa
cookie lover
cookie lover

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

I don't see why sleep paralysis couldn't wear off before the other parts of the dream end. In fact, I have woken up because I moved before. But remember that when you bang your head against a wall in a lucid dream, you are probably not in the same position as IRL, so your muscle movements will not correspond to the surroundings. I jump in the dream but only kick my legs in my bed. So I guess it depends on how close your head is to the wall.
This is not what happens to sleep walkers. If it were they would walk blindly around and bump into things. This is not common. Sleep walkers can perform very specific tasks, such as repairing machinery, making sandwiches, and even murder. Fact is, sleep walking does not occur during REM sleep, but delta sleep and the body is not paralysed during delta sleep. They have their eyes open and see their surroundings. An old friend of mine went to the kitchen and cut his hand with a knife before waking up, this is not what you'd expect from someone who can only see dream images.

Hemming
Not quite here...
Somniologist
LD count: Countless

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun, 2008  Reply with quote

Blessedspirit wrote:
I think somones been watching to many matrix movies, how can you POSSIBLY believe or have the slightest thought that you could get a real injury from a dream? its madness.

Madness?
THIS IS LD4ALL!!!

In seriousness, I've occasionally found injuries on myself after waking up, in places where I was injured in the dream. My theory is that it's due to me moving or something during the night and injuring myself, then having it replicated in a dream.

Of course, that would open the way to second sight, since how could your body know you're about to receive a scratch, for example, and replicate it in a dream if your senses are shut down?

print