Who doesn't use techniques?

Hey, I was just wondering how many people don’t use techniques to LD? Does anyone else prefer staying enthusiastic and becoming lucid spontaneously? How come?

I’m new to posting, but this is the website that introduced me to the concept of lucid dreaming back in 05. I never did the techniques, but that first night my excitement resulted in an LD… and I’ve been having them now and then ever since. Now I want to be apart of the dream-sharing community… so here I am.

Looking forward to being here and getting to know other dreamers…yeehaw.

I think it’s a matter of habit, once you got the hang of it, all you’ve got to do is tell yourself to do it, and it will happen.
For the new ones like us, we need to work hard and use techniques :razz:

grins

Well! It’s nice to see you here! I hope to hear more from you!

In regards to techniques.
No I don’t usually.
If I’ve got nothing better to do though, I’ll try a WILD or something, but my unpredictable sleep patterns means its too risky to try a WBTB…

So, to answer your question. No! I don’t. :happy:

For me, I eventually became worried about it becoming just a habit. My big LDs always have big gaps spacing them apart, but at first I was getting a lot of short lived “filler” LDs in between that seemed more impulsive than reflective. Now I find the big ones so personally relevant and useful that It’d be hard to imagine having them on demand. It almost feels like they wouldn’t be as special or inspiring.

I usually feel like I’m eventually going to be able to have them more or less all the time, but it seems like a prerequisite for that is to be able to able to reflect on my waking life in vivid detail during the dreams. Anyone else find that difficult? I can always remember I have a real life… but it’s hard as hell to recall details.

Anyone else relate?

Haha, thanks for the welcome :smile:

So then if you dont’ do techniques, when do you notice yourself LDing? What happening in real life for them to happen? Does it relate to creative projects, relationships or anything like that?

I’ve never used techniques - mainly because I don’t really have any motivation to actively induce lucid dreams. I’m very happy with my normal dreams already. Every lucid dream I’ve ever had has therefore been spontanous. I’m sure it’s associated with me thinking a lot about lucid dreams in real life though.

Erm, see this is where it’s difficult to explain!! :content:
I notice that I’m LDing only when I’m dreaming.
I tend to have more LD’s when I’ve watched a particular film/programme I’ve enjoyed.
When I do a lot of drawing or piano playing they sometimes increase.

To be honest, there isn’t really a correlation. Just coincidence.
I dream every night, and I’m lucid almost every night, my problem is the recall.

You’ve just got to get into the habit of recalling your dreams, and suddenly you’ll find your dreaming much more often than you first thought, and the more you dream, the more likely you are to become lucid.

Another thing I was wondering about using technique (not that I’m trying to discredit lucidity by technique at all) is how lucid do you actually become? Going along the lines of thinking about something enough to the point where it happens. Do some people just play out/dream up an experience of what a LD might be like, something they’ve read/fantasized about? …and then assume they had an LD? I mean people have to answer this for themselves, but what really is an LD? What makes anyone so sure they’ve had one? I guess that also might go into what choice is…because I think thats the best way to describe it…obviously… is a reflective sense of choice… but whats the depth of experience for you guys? How does that change from dream to dream? How much more mystified do you become? And…again… how much can you understand/recall from you waking life inside the dreams? And what about other chars in the dream… whats your interactions with them mean to you? Knowing they’re your imagination, do you still feel receptive to them communicating something to you? No matter how lucid I feel I am in my dreams, I almost always feel/assume the dream chars are “more lucid” than I am.

How lucid you actually become varies. Sometimes you’re not exactly willing to risk jumping off the roof of your house, and other times you’re already 100% sure you can fly so there’s no reason not to. There is actually a term for dreaming about having a LD, but I can’t remember what it is at the moment. What a lucid dream is is very basic, it’s any dream where you realize you are dreaming. At the point you know you’re dreaming, trust me, you WILL be sure you had a LD. You can basically do whatever you believe you can do, because the world is a construct of your own mind. Therefore, all rules are based on what your mind believes they should be. Think of it like the Matrix.

As for my personal experience…my lucid dreams are mostly pure accidents and few and far between, but they are clear. If I hadn’t done crazy things like flying around or shooting fireballs from my hands, I’d be willing to tell you they happened. The most exciting thing about lucid dreams is that they really feel like reality. As for what you can recall, dream recall varies from person to person, and gets better with practice. However, in general, my lucid dreams are nearly perfectly clear, and I can remember them as you would recall any day of your life. As for dream characters being “more lucid” than you are…they are. They’re constructs of your mind after all, so they can easily do anything better than you can, because you are so convinced that you are set in the rules of reality, while the things you know are part of a dream are not.

To sum it all up, a dream is about as real as you make it, and your ability to do things in that dream is exactly the same. I’m skeptical of the saying in reality, but when it comes to dreams, you really can “do anything you put your mind to.”

None of my LDs have ever been the result of a specific technique. (unless sporadic RCs count) I prefer to just stay enthusiastic about LDs and hope to have one spontaneously since quite honestly, I’m rather lazy about these things. I’m sure that doing a technique faithfully would greatly increase my chances though. (currently I have about 1 LD per month when not doing anything to try and induce one)

My LD’s come about most when I keep up a regular habit of observing that my senses in the waking world are exactly the same as they are in the dream world, and so everything is the substance of dreams.

When I make breakfast, I’m getting a dream bowl out of the dream cupboard, looking at a dream clock thinking about how long I have to eat.

I’m supposed to make the same observation when I’m dreaming and become lucid. Changing my view of my world has contributed more to my LD’ing than any other technique.

I was doing rc’s obsessivly and all just to make the habit of it and have lucid dreams like all the time (that was my goal).
But then some jerk told me to “Learn to appreciate my normal dreams as well”, and for some bloody reason - I DID.

I think for people to want lucid dreams all the time is a bit hasty, but I’m also in the “Lucid-On-Demand-Society” :razz:

I never used techniques. I just naturally Lucid Dreamt a lot I guess. It got to the point where I would fly in almost all of my normal dreams, and every time I would fly, I would realize I was dreaming. I’ve never had problems with having lucid dreams ^^