Yann Tiersen

does anyone else here think he’s pure evil? wow. i mean: wow. i can’t grow tired of his music. the more i look into it, the more surprising it seem to me, challenging, pleasing. i’m absolutely taken aback by what he pulls off at times in terms of fusion, and especially in his play with different rhythms, such as in rue des cascades or l’après-midi, where he has a chansson base in common time coexist with a ¾ waltz melody. and the melodies! how can they be so minimalistic and yet to touching? this guy makes Ravel’s boléro sound like casual whistling. wow.

:woah: Holy cow, Yann Tiersen! He’s… just… so… undiscribable. A genius. :wink:

I looked him up, i see he’s a musician of sorts. Too lazy right now to look more into him.
What should i know about him?

he’s French. he’s a composer. he’s the guy behind the soundtrack of Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amélie Poulain. he composes chansons and waltzes, and tends to mix some drastically different musical forms. one of this common themes is having a waltz chorus in an otherwise 4/4 song (you can see this the most clearly on l’après-midi), which gives the listener an impression of being trapped in time (Coldplay also achieved that same effect in their song, clocks, using a very similar refrain).

what else can i say? as far as comercial music goes, i think, he’s the most brilliant composer ever since Ástor Piazzolla (another name you should listen to while you’re at it — look for someone like Yo Yo Ma playing his libertango on youtube). he’s a minimalist: that means that most of his songs have few instruments, few notes on simple scales, very little technical resources (rather than using sampling and mixing, he prefers to use typewritters to produce noise). his melodies are also very simple from a technical point of view, but they produce very intricate effects, especially as he produces tension between the main and second voice (you can see that at its best in la noyée — this songs send shivers down my spine from just looking at its score).

WOW thanks bruno, that’s an excessive amount of info but it’s good, thanks again :wow:

Hmm for the first song, l’après-midi, i didn’t get any significance out of it. Although i really enjoyed Libertango, all the instruments sounded beautiful together.

The one where he is improvising on the piano was nice, until that eerie singer came in and in my opinion wrecked everything.

And la noyée was very nice, I think it was accordion and violin, they were weaving togther and it was like two singers.

uæææ, how come! :open_mouth:

yeah, that’s not Yann Tiersen, that’s a guy called Ástor Piazzolla. great song, huh? :smiley:

yeah, i don’t really like the singing either, but ah well. what you gonna do. he actually manages to save it, in my opinion, though — i mean, how can someone play the piano and the accordion at the same time? what is the matter with that guy?

ha. no violin, that is just the accordion. :wink:

Wow, no violin eh. Hmm, i think your wrong, there’s definatly two or more instruments there. :tongue:

Like two accordions, and some strings.

I personally think he sold his soul to the devil to have aquired such skill. :yes:

Either way, great music. :smile:

i tell you! just look for other videos of that song on youtube: it’s a single accordion, and only two voices. i know, it produces an amazing effect.

Brilliant man.
If you haven’t seen Goodbye Lenin he also did some (all?) of the work on that score.
The Amelie soundtrack is a masterpiece.
Beautiful music.

:ohno:

Did you go to the site Bruno? I want an apology for questioning my knowledge, and I want you to admit to everyone you were wrong. :devil:

i’m more willing to say it’s plausible because of the timbre of the main voice in the refrain than because some website said so. i don’t even know where you got that website from. but anyhow, want me to say it? sure: it might be a violin. i still think it isn’t, but then i’ve been to tango shows in Argentina, i might be deceiving myself by thinking the french are as good as the argentinians are with accordions and concertinas. at any rate, i think Tiersen would be cheating if he actually recorded with violins rather than using the accordion to produce that timbre, that makes him half as virtuoso as i was taking him to be.

Ya, I was just messing around Bruno :smile:
If it is true then, how does this change his skill?

it makes him less impressive. :tongue:

If you’re looking for some impressive violin, search “Yann Tiersen live sur le fil” in Youtube and check out the first vid. :wink:

Oh no. please don’t tell me I killed the Yann Tiersen topic! :cry:

no doubt, an amazing composer.
to me, he made the word harmony look much different.
I was highly influenced by him as I am a musician myself.
Cheers
Ariel