absolute escpaism

I think yes. And if i could do it. I would do it in some years from now.
But i won’t do it alone.
If i could,I would bring a friend too,Or i’ll find her in one of the Lucid Worlds, and ask her to come with me to explore more worlds.
Like in Doctor Who.

I think he is around 22. I recall him stating his age a long time ago when he might have gone by a different name on the forums…maybe, I could be confused.

I actually made this topic twice, the first is archived here: ld4all.com/archive0205/viewt … ght=choice
around 4 and a half years ago

and the second is here ld4all.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t … ght=choice
just last year

As you can see if you read the responses I got, a lot of people would not hesitate, but then a lot of people would not want it, for fear of it getting old, or becoming lonely. It was kinda half and half I guess.
I think I made the topic when i was feeling depressed, you know like all teens do at one point or another, (“Yay for angst!”)

I’m still not sure about it now.

I would love to. I would absolutely love to live forever in a lucid dream.

Hmm… depends. Do you mean being in a lucid dream forever, or a state similar to a lucid dream? There’s quite a difference in the two. There are some things you aren’t able to do even in a lucid dream, like clearing your memory or deliberately losing your own consciousness. Also, dreams are not always fully vivid. If it was being in a lucid dream, I might say no, but if it was a state similar, in which you had all the abilities of a lucid dream, and some (such as the ones I described) extra, all the while at the highest vividness possible, then I would say yes.

To be able to have absolute control over a reality would be great! I would even give up my present reality in order to achieve this. The first thing I would do, of course, is to set a law that I could never be destroyed completely unless I so chose. Epic adventures, incredible skills, wild sexual experiences, everything’s at your fingertips, or nothing at all, if so you choose. The best thing about absolute power is that you can make yourself have no power or forget you had power for a limited time. If you became weary of your powers, you could set a timer, in which you would not have the powers or any realization of them, and create a world that mimics exactly the world you lived in, and live there for however long you set the timer, or until something triggers the timer to go off (like your death). This way, you would be right back to where you were before, and you’d be living with clones of the people you once knew, but being unaware of them being clones. It’d be just as good as reality because you wouldn’t realize the difference until the timer went off. And with absolute power, you could even edit your own existence (on a timer of course, in case you mess up :tongue: ), to experience things not possible for humans. Having your own reality to manipulate, you’d have all the benefits of a humble life, combined with all the benefits of absolute power! It’s a win-win situation. And in the end, if you truly became tired of everything (though you could simply get rid of your ability to feel tired of it), you could ultimately destroy yourself completely.

Ultimate power has ultimate responsibilities, but I’d make sure to make plenty of laws and loopholes so that I’d never screw up too bad that it’d be completely irreversible.

Wow Sabre!

I have had lucid dreams lately that are very long, in which I am aware that I do not innately have to return, however, there is not anything in particular to “do” in the dreams.

Eh, lucid dreams are fun, but they aren’t real. I can’t be imagine just living in a world that isn’t real, as it has no real meaning. Nothing you do or can ever do in a lucid dream can ever really matter or have any impact at all if you’re not at least awake to appreciate the lesson. Essentially you give up every single bit of meaning your life ever had to live in a sandbox. Kind of like the Matrix when you think about it.

Only one mans opinion

Oh, wow. I absolutely, completely disagree with that. I understand this is all opinion, but the way you assert for everyone, Stricken, the above quote. I don’t want to assail you for it, but, personally, [lucid] dreams… eh, think of this way:

How exactly does one go about defining “reality” and its boundaries in a complete, coherent - and consensus - description? Or, what makes this reality any more real than even the most vivid lucid dream? (Some of which have been described as being “hyperreal”…)

I’m just saying…

Yeah, I’ve asked myself this many times. Sometimes I think it would be just increadible to live in a paralel reality, in a fantastic world full of fantastic creatures, people and places. But forever I don’t know. Maybe one thing that would make it so special would be the fact that I come and go.

I’d like to stay longer in my LD’s though :sad: . enough to get satisfied and want to come back, full of energy and joy, ready to face another day on Earth. :tongue:

If i could take my wife with me, then yes. I don’t know about other people, but if my wife remains (physically) here and i’m not with her, but in my lucid dream, i would not want to make her unhappy.

But considering the mess this society has gone into, i prefer lucid world many times more over this mess here.

I do no one any good asleep. I have much better things to do than wasting my life in a dream world.

Alright, let me try rephrasing my argument in a way that those of you who support the idea of an alternative reality can agree. At the least we can come to a middle ground somewhere, no? :tongue:

Lucid dreams are indeed fun, however, the reality it presents is not the present one. It is not one with the people I know and love, nor the experiences I have had and accepted as true reality. Therefore, I refuse to cast these people and experiences aside as false for the sake of living in a world where I can make up my own. I rather like the idea of actually living through a challenge as opposed to a world where I already have all the answers and solutions to the problems. A reality such as that is simply one I would never like to take part in. Well, not eternally anyway, everyone likes to bend the rules of (perceived) reality every once in awhile, right? :grin:

Does that sound a bit better, or am I missing the point entirely? I’m trying to make the same argument from a different philosophical perspective, which as it turns out is very hard. Let me know which you prefer.

I would say yes, if i was much older around 60 maybe and have already lived a “normal” life. I just want to experience all i can before leaving this world into another reality.

that is the point of lucid dreams. Leave Reality behind enter the spiritual realm and learn about the subconscious mind. ask questions and fly wherever! the experience is real. and so is experience real in Reality. i say LD is a better in which anything can be done without trouble or hesitation therefore influencing us to try it in RL which does have an impact. :smile:

I would probably go nuts inside a Lucid dream that lasts an eternity, mainly becuse dreams can be so abstract and inlogical that i don’t think they’re fun.

I personally don’t like very random dreams whit absolutetly no logics behind them, i walk a few seconds in a desert and when i turn around or blink whit my eyes i’m suddenly in a jungle!
Sure they’re fun for a while but i sometimes don’t like sudden changes in dreamscapes and appearance of characters whitout my knowledge.

And who knows? Perhaps we were inside a “dream” before we walked on this planet but went nuts inside it becuse we wanted a reality in wich everything was persistent and “moved on” whitout us affected it all the time?

So if you mean a dream world like our dreams were things go random…no thanks.

• Tywald

The way you put that was very creepy. It made me question my entire existence. GOOD JOB!! :uh:

I would not be able to just leave my girlfriend and family behind in the “real” world and go living by myself in a LD. But if I could take them with me, I would totally go for it.

Sure I could summon them in my LD and go on as usual, and maybe I would forget that they aren’t real after a couple of years, but I still wouldn’t be able to leave them in the first place.

I would definitely give up this world for a Lucid Dream world as long as the LD world didn’t last forever.

If it did last forever I’d still be very tempted though.

You gotta be kidding? All forms of consciousness have appeal. Why would we want to limit ourselves to one state.

there is no way to escape, or anywhere to; for there is nothing and nowhere to escape from or to.

there is nothing and nowhere to escape from or to; for there is no way to escape, or anywhere to.