What Book Are You Reading? - Part VI

I’ve recently finished Born on a Blue day by Daniel Tammat, an excellent read.

I guess you didn’t know much about him, or were interested in him before picking up the book, cause you would be disgusted with it.

Finished The Plague by Albert Camus.

Picked up Ilium by Dan Simmons.

Still working on Hen’s Teeth and Horse’s Toes by Stephen Jay Gould.

Put down The Theory of Almost Everything: The Standard Model, the Unsung Triumph of Modern Physics by Robert Oerter, along with Foundation by Isaac Asimov. With school I don’t have much time for reading. I’ll get back to them later.

Alright, so currently I am reading Doctor Zhivago by Boris Pasternack, which is an absolutely amazing story and I highly recommend. It’s about a doctor in Russia and how his life deteriorates after the Russia revolution. I’m about 3/5ths of the way through and I love it.

I’m also reading a book called From Rome to Byzantium, which is about why Rome fell and why the Eastern Roman Empire stood for about 1000 years after the west fell. I’m about 1/3 of the way through this one.

The other book i’m going to start after I finish the Byzantium book is on Augustus from Rome fame and how he basically founded Europe with his Pax Romana. AHHHHHHHHH, it’s so nice to read some really great books :smile:

i’m reading sophies world by jostein gaarder.
amazing.

really? i could never get into that one. The first part was outrageously boring, and (dare i say it?) in my opinion, bad.

I’m at Welcome to the Monkey House by Vonnegut, which is a collection of his short stories. Though i must say they are hit or miss. So far Harrison Bergeron was really good, the rest were simply ok. Definitely not as enticing as Cat’s Cradle or Sirens of Titan.

Staring The Stand by Stephen King down right now. I want to read it, but it’s just so darn big, and i should really get a hold of Wolves of the Calla and finish the Dark Tower series first.

and then besides some school stuff (Ovid. Not looking forward to that too much), that’s about it.

it’s not for everyone i suppose, but i’m finding it very educational. :tongue:

[/quote]

[/quote]

the later chapters get better. The first ones though… wow… just… wow

also, Ovid.

Now i have a translation of the Tales from Ovid by Ted Hughes. I’m sure in it’s original language it was nice and pretty, and sounded sweet and subtle.

In English, in this translation, it’s dribble. pages and pages of dribble. It’s disgusting, i get no idea for what he was trying to say, and barely comprehend what’s going on.

Whoever thought someone who specializes in TRANSFORMATIONS could be so badly transformed?!

In about a week, Ill be reading “Tabetin book of the dead” I cant wait for it to get here. I dont think Ill be able to understand alot of it. Has anyone ever read it?

I’m reading Breaking Dawn. book number 4 of the Twilight series.

absolutely captivating :cool:

ah! Pierre Bayard’s como falar de livros que você nunca leu [how to talk about books you haven’t read], what a great, brilliant book.

I just read A friend like Henry by Nuala Gardner. About an autistic boy that can’t break out of his own autistic world, until Henry his dog comes into his life. Touching book, yes…I cried…again :shy:

Finished The kite Runner yesterday. What a beautiful story…now I started on a Thousand Splendid Suns, also by Khaled Hosseini.

read both books (thousand splendid suns &Kite runner)
I loved both of them

Ya Kite Runner was amazing.

merged … we have six topic parts of good books :wink:

ever since the harry potter series ended… ive been in a reading slump. i used to love to read but m drive for it has slowly started to deteriorate :sad: im the kind of person who loves a good series more than anything. i mean ill read single books but i prefer many of them cuz it aways gives you something to look forward to after you finish one book. but recently ive started the scarlet letter which is a good read so far, just a little hard to comprehend fully for me. it was written during puritan times and they had a vey different approach to writing lol. after i finish this i want to start on the art of war which i hear is amazing. the series i have read so far are harry potter, lord of the rings, artemis fowl, cirque du freak, lemony snickets unfortunate events to name a few. now that you can see the style of books im into, does anyone have any suggestions on otherseries that are good, long, an fascinating? or even just single reads which are really good? i loe mysteries, comedies, and adventure/actions. any input would be highly appreciated!!!

Two big recommendations would be the

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan - 11 (will be 12) books all over 600pgs - frist book is The Eye of The World

Ender’s Saga - 4 books - First book is Ender’s Game, then Speaker for the Dead, the Xenocide, the Children of The Mind

The former is fantasy and the latter is science fiction but both are EXCELLENT series.

thank you very much! both sound interestng and ill be sure to check em out. many thanks!

whats sophie’s choice all about? might look into it. The Stand by Stephen King is Awesome (I don’t even like stephen king), definitely worth investing 2 weeks of your life into.
My favourite book is The Crow Road by Ian Banks. I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone. Even if they couldnt read.

Anyone know a really good horror/thriller book?
I haven’t read a book in a while that actually creeped me out. :tongue:

Haunted, by Chuck Palahniuk.