extending percieved dream time

I’ve read about people who have lived many years throughout the course of one dream. Obviously their perception of time within the dream is off to stretch many years into one 90minute time period. i was wondering if this is possible to do deliberately within lucid dreams. Has anyone heard of this being done to make it seem like lucid dreams last for a very long time?

haha.
I have heard of a similar thing… I think the people I heard talking about it before labelled in ‘Time Dilation’ and one person on some forum claimed he lived for 70 years or something.
I’m not sure how much I trust this, though! I’m interested to see what other people think…

Yeah, Stephen LaBerge reckons he did. And he is the lucid god tbh xD
Well, the amount of topics ive seen on time dialation in dreams is untrue … :tongue:
Of course, no matter how many times the question is asked, theres no real answer unless someone/several people test it out. And theres plenty of people on this forum that can LD at will.
I really think a topic should be opened, it would finally answer the question to whether living years in a 2 hour period is possible, cause at the moment the only answers you will get is peoples opinions and the odd experience. ^^

LaBerge has already speculated about how it is possible, remember that he has already proven that dream time = real time by doing eye signaling counting tests:

“You may be wondering then, how you can have dreams that seem to last a lifetime. I believe this effect is achieved in dreams by the same stage trick that causes the illusion of the passage of time in the movies or theatre. If on stage, screen, or dream we see someone turning out the light as the clock strikes midnight, and after a few moments of darkness we see him turning off an alarm as the bright morning sun shine through the window, we’ll accept (that is, pretend, without being aware we are pretending) that many hours have passed even though we “know” only a few seconds have passed (LaBerge 25).”

There, you have it from the pre-eminent dream researcher himself, we don’t have dreams that last years or lifetimes…they just appear to. If you’re willing to disagree with the scientific community and LaBerge, that’s your choice.

LaBerge, Stephen. Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming. 1st. New York: Ballantine Books, 1990.

Stephen LaBerge discovered that time in a lucid dream is equivalent to time in real life. So any dreams that seem to last a long time only appear to last so long because time skips around in dreams sometimes.

For example, you’re sitting in a chair in a dream and then your subconscious makes 10 years skip, so technically 10 years passed in your dream, but only because you skipped them.

I don’t think it’s possible for a dream to literally last more than 2 hours.

No but how can you make it seem to last ages, for example create your own life in your dream, over a night.
& wake up and feel as though its lasted forever?

Cause id love to be able to do that. There MUST be a way.

Hmm, thanks for the quote from that book, will definitely have to get that. It’s really interesting, I wonder if we can get some people on the forums to do some tests or whatever! :wink:

Well, if it feels like it lasts longer than 2 hours … for example years
Then surely it doesnt matter whether in real time it actually does? ^^

I would guess that Laberge was correct, in relation to most dreams (esp. NDs).

However, I remember reading somewhere (no idea, but it could’ve been dreamviews or some other totally random forum) where a person posted their method for slowing/speeding their perception of time. I can’t recall exactly what they said, but basically they’d consider the passage of time as they normally see it, then reduce their scope of life to that of an ant on the ground. To the ant, the giant strides of a human being would seem very slow and ponderous compared to the quick scuttling of its own legs. Thus, one would be able to slow their perception of time in a lucid dream, and maybe even IRL, by “becoming” the ant.

To me, this seems really possible. After all, everyone experiences shifts in their perception of time during the day. It hits in big stuff, like sports plays where you feel like everything is in slow motion. It’s also really present in small things, like spending hours reading a good book without realizing it, or being so bored that time seems to grind to a halt.

Viscount: LOL :lol:
Under: Yes, that is a very interesting technique… i shall try that once i have enough control in my LDs :colgate:

Undies? :rofl:

It certainly makes sense in theory, but it’ll probably be a while before I actually manage to try it out. I’ve got a looooooooong list of things that I want to do in a LD, and the dry spell I’m going through isn’t really helping much :razz: .

Take a look at some free-ware, im sure theres plenty that abolish dry spells :content:

Good luckk.